PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft survey

Frank Fusco
09-06-2006, 5:13 PM
Moderators: If this isn't allowed, delete.
I received an e-mail invite to do a customer response survey from Woodcraft. It is apparent that they are trying to decide the best way to give good customer service and, thereby, stay competitive.
This is to their credit. They frequently asked for choices between price and quality. I believe their conclusions might be skewed as IMHO, most buyers balance the two and go for value. Also, they did not address the frequent problems encountered in their franchise stores with customer service that can leave the customer :mad: .

Charles McKinley
09-06-2006, 5:51 PM
Hi Frank,

You could find out who at WC is doing the survey and could email them your thoughts. I'm sure that they would be interested if they have a study going on.

The customer care issue is tricky. I have always had great service at the Pittsburgh store but had heard complaints from others. I like WC because the tools are out where you can handle them before buying and have a nice return policy. They also usually have a shop area if yu have a technique question or just want to try something out.

James Kuhn
09-06-2006, 5:56 PM
I've noticed remarkable differences among their franchises. The nearest one to me is very well run and well stocked but repackages and marks-up almost a quarter of the things they sell. The Store nearest where I work is just as well stocked, repackages less, has smaller mark ups, but has a kid half asleep behind the register. In all, pretty convenient places to have around...Borg-lite.

Steve Clardy
09-06-2006, 6:13 PM
I just got through filling out the survey online

Rick Levine
09-06-2006, 6:13 PM
I prefer Woodworker's Supply. They seem to have more a knowledgeable staff, better prices and service, IMHO.

Tyler Howell
09-06-2006, 6:19 PM
Interesting thread Frank.
I've taken a couple of classes at WC and bought a few things, but never spent the BIG bucks there.
There mark-ups are signifcant and I know I can find the item cheaper.
Customer service locally .....leaves something to be desired.
My home port Rockler (because it's close) goes out of there way to help out. I've spent a few coins there and they've come through when I ask for stuff for a WW party or Creeker gathering.
I was invited to a Focus group at the Rock and they gave a 100.00 gift card for my time.

I've heard lots of borg problems but here you get very good service.
I think a lot has to do with regional management and the individual franchise.

glenn bradley
09-06-2006, 7:17 PM
I'm with James but, Rockler and others are just as subject to local management / personality. The Rockler store in NoCal was a little holier than thou. The SoCal store is always friendly, a bit reserved but, very knowledgeable. It's true in most small shops; be they franchise, corporate shops or individual shops belonging to a large chain. If you like what they do, look to the manager's style and presence. Same goes for if you don't like it.

Mike Hill
09-06-2006, 7:23 PM
Just to jump in with the mix, here is my experience with Woodcraft. I ordered much of my big tools on line and they showed up as promised and with few problems. Support has been fine. We have a store here in Austin and quite frankly that's one that needs improvement. Of all the employees, there is only one who is really knowledgeable and helpful and he is usually teaching classes and not there. The others? They seem more interested in gripping about having to restock shelves or unload a truck, than talking to a customer. I have wandered some days through that store for 15 or 20 minutes and it is like I am invisible. More of the "hooks" on the pegboard are empty, than should be. Plenty of Big Items, Major Tools etc, but much of the small stuff is not in stock. You can buy Instrument Lacquer ( It's a music town), but not regular Lacquer and then only in pints at a very inflated price. I have to drive about 12 or 14 miles to get to this store and am constantly disappointed in their inventory, cost of goods and service.

So basically, I order on line, let the lack of taxes offset the shipping and have it sent to me to avoid a store visit.

Mike

Dan Stuewe
09-06-2006, 7:48 PM
So basically, I order on line, let the lack of taxes offset the shipping and have it sent to me to avoid a store visit.

Mike

I've ordered items from the store. Basically they include it in their regular shipments so you don't have to pay shipping. You have to go pick it up and it may take longer, but you don't pay the shipping. Of course if you don't trust the store, than this would just be another way to make yourself miserable.

Off topic Alert:
I don't understand your comment about taxes. I don't remember if Texas has sales tax or not, but my understanding is that if a company has a presence in your state, you are charged local sales tax. If there isn't sales tax in Texas then I would have expected that you wouldn't pay it on purchases from the store or on-line. So here in CA, even though the mail order for Woodcraft or Rockler isn't in state, i have to pay sales tax on an order. In addition it isn't really a sales tax, it is a use tax, so I'm expected to pay 7.75% (State and county) on mail ordered (internet) purchases for which I did not pay tax (orders from companies with no presence in CA). It is included on our state income tax forms.

Frank Fusco
09-06-2006, 8:12 PM
I should clarify. Those in-store problems are only what I have read about here and on other fourms. My only shopping experience with them has been on-line. I'm a fan of Grizzly partly because of great experiences with customer service, on-line, telephone and most especially in-store. Friendly, knowledgable, etc. Of course, I like bears too. I wear a bear claw necklace 24/7 and have for almost half a century. They have neat bears in the Griz store. But I digress....:rolleyes: Seriously, bears or not, it comes down to making (and keeping) the customer happy. :)

Luis Oliveira
09-06-2006, 8:21 PM
I will second mike hills comments.
It should not be of nay surprise to anyone that most people want the best tools at an acceptable price.

As I look around I find woodcraft and rockler to always have higher prices than what you can buy for the same item on Amazon, grizzly, or newwoodworker just to name a few.

I am not a business owner, however I find it very hard to grasp that a company that sells to a very specific target like woodworkers, can not get better prices, value and quality.

In short, I would honestly say, bring prices comparable with on-line vendors, and have good quality to bring the customers that appreciate quality to the stores. after all, if quality is not an issue people would go to secondary markets to buy their tools.

I have to admit, as I get more and more into woodworking, I always find myself questioning why is this hobby so expensive. Just to get started you need so many tools and it seams to me they are all expensive. and it is not just the power tools, accessories, hand tools, wood, paints etc....
If it is so expensive how can you try things?, how can you learn?

Alright I will stop now.
I hope companies like woodcraft, rockler and some other specialty store bring their prices to more reasonable levels. I would definetly buy more and play/build more.

Mike Cutler
09-06-2006, 8:41 PM
Hmm...

I've only been in two Woodcraft Stores. Warwick RI, and Manchester Ct. Warwick is closer than Manchester for me so I usually go there.

I've never had a problem at either store. The folks working there are knowledgable, but what I really like is when they don't know the answer they don't try to blow me full of smoke. They have been honest enough to admit that they don't know, and I appreciate that alot. I don't expect to get the expertise of a Maloof, Frid, Jewitt or a Dresdner working there. That is just too high of an expectation.

As far as buying items there. I've puchased a few things. In the last few weeks I've gotten 60bd/ft of brazillian cherry, 20 bd/feet of cocobola, 14 bd/ft of wenge and 14 bd/ft of spanish cedar. I just picked up two 8/4 boards of cocobola, and an 8/4 board of wenge from the Manchester store. Beautiful wood. I didn't need it, but I wasn't leaving it there.;)
I can beat their prices online, but... by the time I factor in shipping, and the time waiting. It's a wash for me. I bought some more cocobola from Mike Mastin, at Curly Woods recently also. Mike has good prices, and the material is top shelf, but when you have to start out the deal with the shipping cost it can get tough. I have to look at all things. Mike that is some beautiful wood that Harold sent me by the way.

I buy a lot of consumables there. It's the only place around that carries that much finishing stuff, and epoxy resins. The 'Borg doesn't carry stuff like that. I don't buy enough to be able to offset the price by ordering online.

I've purchased machines in Woodcraft also. I wait for the store/manufactures sales. So far it's been ok for me. Once again it's the shipping cost, or lack of, that normalizes the sale for me.

I guess I have to say that Woodcraft has been a positive for me. They do need to do something about the prices of their clamps though. Those are way out of whack. Don't know why, but they are.

JIm McMullen
09-06-2006, 8:49 PM
FWIW: I bought my Saw Stop from Woodcraft in Spokane. The store is family owned (good people, I might add). As some of you may recall, I had a challenging job getting the 600#plus saw down my side yard and into my shop. I was concerned that I might chew up the yard etc, etc. To make a long story short, The owner and his son delivered the saw, backed it down the side yard (no easy task, I assure you!!) and set up the saw on its mobile base for me. The cost?--ZERO! That, my friends, is customer service at its very best. The saw, accesories, mobile base cost me no more than if I had ordered them elsewhere. The saw arrived in perfect shape, the lawn suffered very little and the guys worked their a--- off! I have been very busy recently and apologize for not posting earlier but I have been lurking for very short "spurts" just to keep up with you all. I had to add my 2 cents and give credit where credit is due---big THANKS to those guys at Woodcraft Spokane.

Bruce Wrenn
09-06-2006, 9:47 PM
The personallity of manager makes all the difference. When you walk into local WC there is an air of livelyness. The place is friendly, clean, well stocked, and staff is knowledgeable. They ask if you need help, and if you say no, they leave you alone. Often, they make a sugggestion for a better solution to your specific problem. As you are leaving, they always ask if you found what you needed. They take as much time with a five dollar customer as with a five hundred dollar customer. Makes you want to come back. Only seventy miles away is another WC store which several woodworkers skip to drive to local store. But it gets better. In town also is Klingspor's Woodworking shop. Everything said about WC applies here also. We also have a third vendor, who specialilty is power tools. Good prices, very knowledgable, but no personallity. Several years ago went there for a product demo day. Friend and I spent almost our entire tool budget. Went back on following Monday to get a router bit and was treated as if I was an interuption of their daily lives. Haven't been back since and that was ten years ago.

Bob Michaels
09-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I'll add my thoughts. I have set up a complete WW shop over the past 18 months and I bought everything, big and small, from the Rochester WoodCraft store. Mostly Powermatic iron (12" jointer, 20" planer, Floor model mortiser, #66 TS, Delta Drill Press, etc., etc.). This store is a real class act. In my experience the prices are within reason of anywhere else,and even if they might be a few bucks one way or the other, I would still do business there. The store itself is large, with a large well equipped class room, the store is well lit, well stocked, and clean. The owner has everything well controlled by a good computer system. The owner (Sean), manager (Alan), and most of the sales people (especially Ed, Bob) are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, attentive and courteous. No goofy kids with earings in their tongues working there. I realize I'm a good customer, but all the people I mentioned know me by name when I walk in. That's good business. A couple have seen me a thousand times but still don't know my name - that's to be expected from any store. In short this store is a must do for any woodworker visiting Rochester.

By contrast I have been in a Rockler store (Buffalo) and another Woodcraft (Lancaster, PA) and neither can compare to the Rochester WoodCraft in any way that I have mentioned above.

Being a semi-retired business owner, I guess I appreciate a well run business. That's how I ran mine. It's not rocket science. These people make it a pleaure to shop at that store.

rodney mitchell
09-07-2006, 1:27 AM
I live about 90 miles from the Fort Worth Texas store, but always try to stop in when I am in town. I have made some major tool purchases there in the last year by waiting for a manufacturer's or store rebate or special so I could get the tool there instead of amazon. Even though I do love amazon.
The store is extremely well managed and stocked. All the staff is knowledgable and friendly, in short, a very good store. Dennis (the manager), you're doing a great job!

RM

David Rose
09-07-2006, 3:41 AM
Steve,

Where did you find the survey? I went to Woodcraft online, and not only did not see a survey button, but "survey" in their search engine brought up nothing. I missed it somewhere. :rolleyes:

David

I just got through filling out the survey online

Alan DuBoff
09-07-2006, 4:27 AM
Don't forget to mention they should carry saw files, since they sell handsaws. They don't seem to understand that...:mad:

For me, one of the only reasons to shop at Woodcraft is convenience. I've asked my local store if they could get things like saw files, but they're unable to accomodate that because they can't "carry everything". We're talking about a few saw files that sell for $5, even they could rape me for $6-$7 if they would stock them.

So, I only really go to Woodcraft to get something I can get local without waiting, like some finish or a special tool needed for a project. Otherwise I'll order from places like Lee Valley that offer much better customer service. My $0.02

Even in the past, they had a sale on Bessey clamps, so I ordered clamps online. I get a backorder for 1 1/2 months, which I'm ok with. I go into the local Woodcraft a few weeks later, who couldn't even tell me if they could get a backorder, and there's piles of the same clamps that I was waiting for in backorder. Their whole distributer/corporate relationship is like the three stooges. I think I should go there and tell them how lousy I think it is and why I shop mostly at other places, unless they can provide something to pick up local without having to wait for mail order.

Norman Hitt
09-07-2006, 4:30 AM
I live about 90 miles from the Fort Worth Texas store, but always try to stop in when I am in town. I have made some major tool purchases there in the last year by waiting for a manufacturer's or store rebate or special so I could get the tool there instead of amazon. Even though I do love amazon.
The store is extremely well managed and stocked. All the staff is knowledgable and friendly, in short, a very good store. Dennis (the manager), you're doing a great job!

RM

Rodney, I'm sure glad you have gotten good service at that store. They must have really made some changes since they moved to the new location. I started going there nearly 4 years ago, (at their old location on the west side of Ft. Worth), and I have to drive about 315 miles to get there. Over a 1 year period, I made 5 trips to their store and always bought $500 to $700 worth of merchandise when I was there. I even took one of their finishing classes, and paid for the LOML to attend also, to keep her occupied and interested in what I was doing as well. Even with this history, I was almost totally ignored while in the store, but they would jump right up to help any of the locals that came in to buy $10 or $15 worth of turning blanks, etc, and would spend a half hour or more walking the isles of the store with them, or standing around the cash register talking to each other, yet acted like it was a great imposition on them if I asked where something was or if they had any x y z, etc. They weren't even very friendly when I was checking out, (and I've never had any trouble making friends). After the 5 th trip, nearly 3 years ago, I finally had enough, and I haven't been back since. If I want anything from Woodcraft anymore, I just order it on the internet and save the frustration of dealing with folks like that.

I have only been in the Austin Woodcraft Store one time, but it didn't seem very well stocked, and the prices seemed kinda elevated on a good portion of their stuff.

There is a Woodcraft Store in N. Dallas (or a suburb) that looks well stocked, but I can't seem to get there when it's open, so have no experience there.

I have been to both the Mesquite and Arlington Rockler stores, and found both stores employees to be very helpful and friendly and always thanked you for coming in and asked you to come back.

As has been stated by others, the manager sets the tone in any business, and it usually carries on down to the employees, or it should, if the manager is doing his job.

Sorry so long, but these were my experiences.

Alan DuBoff
09-07-2006, 5:56 AM
I couldn't find the survey either...

Bob Childress
09-07-2006, 7:45 AM
Our local WC is hit or miss. They have some knowledgable folks if you get lucky, but some of the others--well. And the prices seem awfully high.

I went there when I first began setting up my shop to get a pair of banquet table legs to build a sheet goods cutting table. The salesperson looked down his nose at me and said "Woodcraft would never carry such an item." I decided it was pointless to tell him the reason I came there was because I had seen them on the WC web site and instead just bought some at the Borg. Since then I only go there when I need it now and no one else has it.

Bob Childress
09-07-2006, 7:45 AM
Our local WC is hit or miss. They have some knowledgable folks if you get lucky, but some of the others--well. And the prices seem awfully high.

I went there when I first began setting up my shop to get a pair of banquet table legs to build a sheet goods cutting table. The salesperson looked down his nose at me and said "Woodcraft would never carry such an item." I decided it was pointless to tell him the reason I came there was because I had seen them on the WC web site and instead just bought some at the Borg. Since then I only go there when I need it now and no one else has it.

Oops..seems to be a double post. Sorry.

Mark Pruitt
09-07-2006, 8:13 AM
At the store nearest me (which is an hour away), I've found that CS depends on when I go there. Generally on the weekends they have knowledgeable staff, but recently I went one night during the week and it was very evident that I knew their stuff better than they did, and what I needed help with, they couldn't help me.

But to put the shoe on the other foot, I know it has to be a difficult job. You can have a lot of knowledge about a lot of things, but inevitably some guy (me in the instance above) is gonna walk in and ask you something that has you scratching your head. I guess what bugged me most about my week-night visit was that there were three men working the store and none of them seemed able to answer my question. But I definitely wouldn't ding that store for it. Those things happen.

Like others have said, prices can be a bit on the high side. I always check the website before making the trip, and sometimes I order online when I don't mind waiting a few days.
Mark

Mark Patoka
09-07-2006, 8:31 AM
I couldn't find the survey either...

I received the survey via email. In the email it sounded like it had gone out to "select" individuals (to make us feel special), most likely those that are subscribed to their email newsletter/list.

Al Willits
09-07-2006, 8:50 AM
Tyler and I shop at the same Woodcraft (Minn) and I seem to have better luck than he does, on the other hand I head right for Tim the manager, for almost of my questions, he's been pretty good about heading me in the right direction...and saving money also.

I'd bet CS at any store is going to depend on who ya talk to, get a guy who either just started or don't really care about his job, and it'll leave a sour taste in your mouth, find someone who knows what they're talking about and understands CS, and life is good.

Cost at a bick and motar shop is going to be greater than online, that's to be expected, and I'll look to see what I need, how long I can wait, and for how much savings, plus, if it don't work, how much trouble to return it.

I really hated to buy both the jointer and planer online, these puppies would each cost over a $100 to return, plus time reconstucting the pallet and container to send them back in, but the cost and rep of the seller (York) made it a lot easier.
So far I'm a head on this, not always the case when buying online though.

I usually wait for sales at Woodcraft or Rockler before I buy much of what I buy locally, or I'll check Amazon and see what they have on sale.

Al

Frank Fusco
09-07-2006, 10:14 AM
FWIW: I bought my Saw Stop from Woodcraft in Spokane. The store is family owned (good people, I might add). As some of you may recall, I had a challenging job getting the 600#plus saw down my side yard and into my shop. I was concerned that I might chew up the yard etc, etc. To make a long story short, The owner and his son delivered the saw, backed it down the side yard (no easy task, I assure you!!) and set up the saw on its mobile base for me. The cost?--ZERO! That, my friends, is customer service at its very best. The saw, accesories, mobile base cost me no more than if I had ordered them elsewhere. The saw arrived in perfect shape, the lawn suffered very little and the guys worked their a--- off! I have been very busy recently and apologize for not posting earlier but I have been lurking for very short "spurts" just to keep up with you all. I had to add my 2 cents and give credit where credit is due---big THANKS to those guys at Woodcraft Spokane.

I'm glad you had that good experience. I once owned a store that sold heavy items (appliances, garden tractors, etc.). I charged a hefty fee and had professionals deliver when the customer requested. Occasionally, I fell for a 'poor little me' line delivered at no cost. Invariably these freebies ended up with enough complaints to fill an encyclopedia. There are always two sides to stories with (perceived) bad service. Folks is funny critters.

Brian Blackburn
09-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I have seen several common problems listed in these responses and I bet there are as many things in common that we would like to see at woodcraft. I took a few minutes,did the survey and I hope you will to. It could help us all.

Bill Grumbine
09-07-2006, 1:11 PM
Well I may be a little different than some here - okay, I'm a lot different, but we won't talk about that! :eek:

While price is a consideration, getting to handle something "in the flesh" is real important to me, and I am willing to pay more to a local store not to have the hassle of dealing with merchandise damaged in shipment, or getting something that is not as it appears for whatever reason, etc. Also, this is a business for me, and when I need something, it is usually need it right now, not need it when it goes on sale. I also do not have the time or patience to spend time on the internet looking for someone who might have the same thing for a few dollars less.

The store in Allentown is almost entirely staffed by people who are members of our local woodworking guild or others with woodworking experience of one sort or another. They are all friendly, and while no one claims to be 100% knowledgeable, there is usually someone who knows the answer to the question. I have known most of the people there long enough that they will call me if they have a turning question that no one at the store can answer. And I do not mind that at all.

I used to buy through the catalog, but since the local store came into being, I almost always go there first.

Bill

Richard Niemiec
09-07-2006, 2:19 PM
Gee, I dunno, but having filled out WC's survey, the comments in this thread is worth more to WC than any information they will get from the survey. If they are smart, they'll take a peek here.....

David Rose
09-07-2006, 4:22 PM
Bill, I agree with you. But it may help that we run a small retail/service store. ;) That doesn't always give me more patience, but it does help me to grit my teeth and hang on awhile. :rolleyes:

"Our" Woodcraft in Tulsa OK is great! The guys working there are pretty knowledgable and quick to check with another person if they don't know the answer. They are all woodworkers at some level and seem to enjoy their jobs. No, they don't stock everything. But they offer to order and even ship, as we are 100 miles away. That is my only experience with Woodcraft.

David

Well I may be a little different than some here - okay, I'm a lot different, but we won't talk about that! :eek:

While price is a consideration, getting to handle something "in the flesh" is real important to me, and I am willing to pay more to a local store not to have the hassle of dealing with merchandise damaged in shipment, or getting something that is not as it appears for whatever reason, etc. Also, this is a business for me, and when I need something, it is usually need it right now, not need it when it goes on sale. I also do not have the time or patience to spend time on the internet looking for someone who might have the same thing for a few dollars less.

The store in Allentown is almost entirely staffed by people who are members of our local woodworking guild or others with woodworking experience of one sort or another. They are all friendly, and while no one claims to be 100% knowledgeable, there is usually someone who knows the answer to the question. I have known most of the people there long enough that they will call me if they have a turning question that no one at the store can answer. And I do not mind that at all.

I used to buy through the catalog, but since the local store came into being, I almost always go there first.

Bill

Dave Richards
09-07-2006, 4:56 PM
I would shop at the same Woodcraft as Tyler and Al do but the few times I have, I've been given downright lousy service. I won't go into details but I also won't spend my money there either.

I have had good experiences the few times I've been into the Woodcraft in Madison, WI. so clearly it is a local thing. Too bad that store is so far away.

I spent about 15 years in retail selling cameras and managing camera stores in the Twin Cities. 4 employers over that time although 2 sold out to what I now call the "Evil Empire". the 4th and last is privately owned. All but the "Evil Empire" stressed customer service as the number one issue and we strove to give the best CS we could do. That required being well trained and following through, listening to customers and ferreting out what they really need and then satisfying that need.

In my current job much of it could be considered customer service. Now, if I don't give good service really bad things can happen for the customer. :eek:

We knew customers could go elsewhere for their cameras so we worked hard to go the extra mile to prove to them that they should spend their money with us.

Perhaps spending so much of my life concentrating on customer service has made me overly sensitive to poor service. I tend not to be very tolerant of poor customer service and will often not give a store a second shot. I don't accept that someone was having an off day as an excuse.

I rarely feel that the folks in retail stores care if I do my business with them or not. I don't understand why staff in many stores are not being trained to do good customer service anymore.

Most of my major purchases have been online. All my large tools have come through Amazon and I've never had a lick of trouble. Their prices have been lower than Woodcraft and the stuff is delivered to my door at no extra charge. In fact when I've been home for the delivery, the drivers have not only brought the machines into the shop, they've been almost as eager as I am to see what's inside.

And of course there's Lee Valley whose customer service is superb.

When I am in the market for woodworking stuff--tools, accessories, hardware, etc. it doesn't even cross my mind to consider Woodcraft anymore.

Ed Breen
09-07-2006, 5:41 PM
I guess I'm like David in that I use the Tulsa store. I've found the sales people always friendly and savy. I also like the idea that on one thread of mine, talking about rust removal, I got a response from the store with a product recommendation. I buy all my stuff from them erxcept for m,y two big griz buys. I'm like many small town folks, if I don't use the local store it will eventually disappear.

Liem Tran
09-07-2006, 6:13 PM
Funny, I just finshed filling out the survey. I also think that they ask some silly questions. For example, they ask which is most important, price or customer service. To me the answer is both. Luckily, I can't complain about my local Woodcraft. They have excellent people there.

Liem

Tom Ruflin
09-07-2006, 6:18 PM
I shop at the Rochester, NY store and as Bob Michaels said earlier, it's a class act. The owner supports our local woodworker society with free access to the workshop/classroom for meetings and classes and gives the members a 10% discount on anything (excluding sales items and power tools) anytime we show our membership card. I've also bought big and small items and have had great customer service.

Tony Falotico
09-07-2006, 7:17 PM
I frequent three Woodcraft stores in Florida. All three are good, but I do definitely have my favorite and least favorite....... It's all in the ownership, day to day management and quality of employees.

I also buy from them over the Internet, none of the three are conveniently located to me, two I only visit when in the area for other reasons. I remember (and dealt with) Woodcraft BEFORE they had stores and BEFORE Internet !!

Dave Ray
09-07-2006, 10:29 PM
This is an interesting thread. I just feel I have to put in a plug for my local Woodcraft in Norfolk, Va. Big modern store, well stocked, staffed by men and women very knowledgeble in all facets of woodwoking. They never fail to greet you as you come in to the store, whether you are known to them or not. They follow up sales, questions.... with phone calls.... yeah...phone calls, just to check if you are satified or to solve any problems, or to let you know your order is in. How about hand written thank you notes for shopping there..... you read that right.... HAND WRITTEN, not typed. I have shopped woodworking stores around the country, mainly the east coast very few compare to this one. Usual disclaimer here, I do not work for nor am I associated with Woodcraft..... just felt the word should be out there about a well run store, staffed by good people. :) :)

Bruce Wrenn
09-07-2006, 11:12 PM

Oops..seems to be a double post. Sorry. Bob, I find it hard to belive any one actually buys banquet table legs. I just carry cordless drill with me and get free ones from old (water soaked) tables thrown to the curb. When I first saw the all plastic (no particle board) tables,I thought what an IDIOT made them. He can't sell you a new one every couple years.

Dave Lehnert
09-08-2006, 12:32 AM
I would shop at the same Woodcraft as Tyler and Al do but the few times I have, I've been given downright lousy service. I won't go into details but I also won't spend my money there either.

I have had good experiences the few times I've been into the Woodcraft in Madison, WI. so clearly it is a local thing. Too bad that store is so far away.

I spent about 15 years in retail selling cameras and managing camera stores in the Twin Cities. 4 employers over that time although 2 sold out to what I now call the "Evil Empire". the 4th and last is privately owned. All but the "Evil Empire" stressed customer service as the number one issue and we strove to give the best CS we could do. That required being well trained and following through, listening to customers and ferreting out what they really need and then satisfying that need.

In my current job much of it could be considered customer service. Now, if I don't give good service really bad things can happen for the customer. :eek:

We knew customers could go elsewhere for their cameras so we worked hard to go the extra mile to prove to them that they should spend their money with us.

Perhaps spending so much of my life concentrating on customer service has made me overly sensitive to poor service. I tend not to be very tolerant of poor customer service and will often not give a store a second shot. I don't accept that someone was having an off day as an excuse.

I rarely feel that the folks in retail stores care if I do my business with them or not. I don't understand why staff in many stores are not being trained to do good customer service anymore.

Most of my major purchases have been online. All my large tools have come through Amazon and I've never had a lick of trouble. Their prices have been lower than Woodcraft and the stuff is delivered to my door at no extra charge. In fact when I've been home for the delivery, the drivers have not only brought the machines into the shop, they've been almost as eager as I am to see what's inside.

And of course there's Lee Valley whose customer service is superb.

When I am in the market for woodworking stuff--tools, accessories, hardware, etc. it doesn't even cross my mind to consider Woodcraft anymore.

I find it funny how People will complain about customer service in stores but consider shopping on-line to be great service when they take your money and you never get to see or speak to anyone.

glenn bradley
09-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Some places don't charge tax to sell to some other places; it varies.

Dave Richards
09-08-2006, 7:05 AM
I find it funny how People will complain about customer service in stores but consider shopping on-line to be great service when they take your money and you never get to see or speak to anyone.

Thank you for misreading my post.

I didn't say I consider shopping on-line to be great customer service. In fact I don't. I don't expect customer service of any sort when I shop on line. When I get it I'm pleasantly surprised. What I was saying is I have never been given good customer service at the one Woodcraft store that is nearest to me. I shop on line because while I might not get customer service there either, I do pay less and have the stuff delivered to me.

Explain to me why I should drive an hour and a half to be given poor treatment and pay more money.

Problem is, it isn't just woodworking. I buy a fair amount of marine hardware and would do business with the large marine retail chain but I get the same we-don't-care-if-you-shop-here-or-not attitude that I've gotten at Woodcraft. So I don't shop there.

The main point is there are a lot of alternatives out there for the customer. If a retailer treats its customers as if they don't matter, eventually it won't be an issue because the store won't have any customers.

I'm happy for those who have Woodcraft stores that give them good service. They need to let those folks know that they appreciate that good service.

eric eaton
10-10-2009, 2:40 AM
Hello Folks,

New to the creek here but I just wanted to talk about the Ventura CA store.

Very friendly and always helpful whether I was spending $20 or $2000. Actually talked me out of a few poor tool decisions based on what kind of shop I was trying to build without pushing an upsell.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with the Ventura CA Woodcraft but I would recommend them to any of my friends.

Thanks,

BUCS(SCW/MDV) Eric Eaton (USN Active Duty)

Robert Grady
10-11-2009, 11:07 AM

RM

+1 for the Fort Worth store. I have made 2 major tool purchases there ( Jet 1642 lateh and Rikon 18" bandsaw) and they beat the online price I compared with. Their pricing on other items is competetive and the staff is friendly and knowledgable. Recently moved to El Paso and will miss going to this store.
Havent been able to find any woodworking stores out here.:(

Dave Lehnert
10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Every customer has their standard for customer service. Customer service for me is if I have a problem the retailer will help me out. I am a price shopper. With the Internet I can ask questions about a tool I am looking at and get answers from actual users. I know what I want when I fist step foot into a store. As long as the kid behind the register can run my card I am one happy camper as long as I get a deal.
I work in retail. In a survey customer service always rank at the top of the list. but fact is, it's price. Wal-Mart did not get to be the biggest retailer in the world because of service.
A company like Lee Valley can provide great customer service and have proved they deserve our business BUT......See a post for a great deal on Bessy clamps and we all will jump ship and deal with a substandard company.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2009, 1:15 PM
Dave,

I research as much as I can online and often have to order online on blind faith. The nearest woodworking stocking retailer is 110 miles away..the next couple are 260-300 miles away.

Customer service to me is extemely important. It adds value to my purchase in my humble opinion. Take CraftSupply or Berea Hardwoods or The Best Things or Arizona Silhouette for example. I have had dealings with all of those folks and had to call back due to problems created by me or them. They have always went out of their way to not only be fair with me but help me take a bad situation and turn it into a good situation. Though I hold a grudge of sorts against Woodcraft Corporate, I will say the fine folks at the WoodCraft Store in Spokane have always been great to deal with and have helped me several times by going beyond the norm.

While it may be "price" to you Dave, I will pay a little more to get great customer service.

harry strasil
10-11-2009, 2:11 PM
+1 for paying a little more for customer service when I had my own business.

As to Woodcraft I live 100+ miles from any large city. I have a couple of step daughters in the Kansas City Area and I usually frequent the Woodcraft and Rockler independents in Lenexa, ks., both are just off the interstate very close to each other. I have found them to be very knowledgeable and friendly. I don't buy large ticket items as I am mostly a Neander WWer. but I have been forced to venture into the tailed world some because of my health issues. Normally I order online as gas is so expensive. I usually get 2 day service from Rockler online because of Spee Dee Delivery. Mostly I just like to walk in and browse and if I see something that I really need I grab it while I am there.
Both stores I frequent also have knowlegable, friendly people, and both stores seem to be well stocked to me.

Mike OToole
10-11-2009, 3:00 PM
I also have mixed experience with WC. I often end up driving to Tampa to shop because the Orlando store is not well stocked and service is bi-modal. (Either really good or really lousy). I just bought a Kapex in Orlando and on advice of the store only bought a single crown stop because I was told one was included. Of course, it wasn't. I then had the choice of waiting until they met order requirements for Festool or paying shipping to get the item quickly. (They offered to pay 1/2 shipping) I got free shipping on line and didn't have to wait, and I doubt I'll order anything significant from them in the future.

Dave Lehnert
10-11-2009, 6:11 PM
Anyone notice the OP is 3 years old?:D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2009, 6:45 PM
Dave...I noticed but we seem to have a rash of that lately.

Caspar Hauser
10-11-2009, 7:13 PM
It would appear that their survey didn't help much.

Ben Kautz
10-11-2011, 2:37 PM
I deal with the Grand Rapids Woodcraft Store. It is one of the best run stores I have ever been in. They do get it about customer service.
I have also been in the Franklin Tennessee store and it too is well run.

I received the survey but got an error message when I tried to click on it.

ian maybury
10-11-2011, 3:03 PM
:) It lives. Tempting to pile in mind you.......

Jim Rimmer
10-12-2011, 1:56 PM
I guess customer service comments are always timely but this original post is 5 years old. :)