PDA

View Full Version : Which Disc Sander

John Hedges
09-06-2006, 4:23 PM
I have a project (Serving Tray for Nephews Wedding) with compound miters which is giving me fits, every time I think I've got them perfect I dryfit and find one or 2 are out and cant get them to perfectly line up. I think it is time to break down and get a disc sander to help tweak these and make the task a lot easier. I know I want a 12" machine.

So my question is which one. I have ruled out the Jet as it is more than I want to spend for this tool which will see limited use. The Grizzly looks too cheap with it's aluminum table. I have narrowed it down to the shop fox W1708 or the Delta 31-120. They both look pretty solid with cast iron tables and are roughly the same weight at a little over 70 lbs. The Delta has a motor rated at 1/2 hp while the shop fox is 1 hp (dont know about the accuracy of these ratings). The shop fox also has a slightly larger table, but a slightly smaller dust port (2" as opposed to the Delta's 2.25"). I am leaning towards the Shop Fox as it is locally a little cheaper. Both look to have solid trunions which keep the table close to the disc when the table is tilted from what I can tell. Does anyone have these machines that can chime in with input. TIA

http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/W1708.jpeg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000022381.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056652564_.jpg

Scott Coffelt
09-06-2006, 4:27 PM
I have the Grizzly, I like it but if I had to do again it would be the Delta. Much better quality than the Grizzly.

glenn bradley
09-06-2006, 4:49 PM
Either should be a good machine. Not much help as I'm waiting for a good variable speed 12".

John Gregory
09-06-2006, 5:47 PM
I have the Delta, about 4 years now. I have no complaints. It works well. Seems very well constructed.

John

JayStPeter
09-06-2006, 7:02 PM
I went back and forth and eventually sucked it up and chose the Jet. No regrets, it's a sweet machine (a$ is it $hould be). I don't remember all the details on which have what, but I'd choose one that uses a regular size miter gauge and CI table. I've done a bit of metal work on mine and don't think an Al table would be good. The Al plate and fence on my old miter saw is looking pretty sorry now that the saw houses a metal cutting blade full time.
IIRC, the Delta was my second choice. I don't think the SF existed back when I was looking.

Jay

John Hedges
09-06-2006, 8:42 PM
Unfortunately the JET has REALLY jumped in price ($444 on Amazon OUCH), so it is pretty much out of the question. It is interesting that I cant find any reviews on the ShopFox nor has anyone here responded that they own one. It seems to have a lot of advantages over the Delta (larger table, larger motor, but smaller dc port). I think this is the way I would lean if I could just find one positive recommendation from an owner.

Dan Oelke
09-06-2006, 9:33 PM
I have the delta. I bought it locally as a reconditioned unit for a little cheaper than the ShopFox. I really like it. Using the dust collector port seems to work ok with the shop vac. But I haven't used anything else to compare it to. Not using the vac puts a lot of fine dust around the bench/shop.

To date I have only used the disc it came with (80 grit I think) but have a bunch I ordered so I can replace that one the next time I want to do something "real" with it. (i.e. something other than rough construction type of stuff - like rabbit hutches, bird coops, etc) Nice thing is that it can really take down material quickly. It will put a rounded end on a 1x3 oak board quickly!

My only gripe is that the fancy shoulder bolt that holds the 90 and 45 degree stops is very soft metal. I broke it tightening it down after cleaning, adjusting, etc. I have been known to be a bit strong armed at times, but I was being quite careful with my new toy at the time. A call to Delta and I had a new one pretty quick. Unfortunately the new one doesn't look to be any better quality steel. I would just spend a buck and get a better one from the hardware store, but it isnt a standard bolt profile.

John Hedges
09-07-2006, 3:11 PM
Quick question for anyone out there who owns a disc sander. After you remove a sanding disc can you use it again. In other words if I need to quickly use a 150 grit disc and then a 220 disc, can I go back and reattach the 150 disc later, or is it a use once and throw away thing? Or does it depend on the paper manufacturer?

JayStPeter
09-07-2006, 4:26 PM
Quick question for anyone out there who owns a disc sander. After you remove a sanding disc can you use it again. In other words if I need to quickly use a 150 grit disc and then a 220 disc, can I go back and reattach the 150 disc later, or is it a use once and throw away thing? Or does it depend on the paper manufacturer?

I haven't had good luck with doing that. I've been advised that it can be done with a heat gun. While I have used it for some finer work (like tuning miters), I almost always use 80-grit on it for woodworking and 60 for metal. At that grit the paper is pretty heavy, so I imagine with some patience it can be removed without destruction. But, mine is usually well abused by the time I take it off :rolleyes: :cool: .

Jay

Dan Oelke
09-07-2006, 4:33 PM
John - I went through the same thought pattern, and came to the conclusion that this is a shaping tool more than a final finish tool. I looked into hook and loop for it and realized it isn't an edge sander or a ROS. I did buy discs in various grits and I'll be trying some of them out, but I suspect the finer grits will be more likely to burn unless a light touch is used.

John Hedges
09-07-2006, 5:58 PM
Just went and took a look at the shopfox. While manually turning the disk and looking straight down I was able to SEE a good amount of runout on the disc http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yelloweek.gif http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yelloweek.gif (no need for a dial indicator here). Guess that rules out the SF. Found the JET locally for a real good price so I think I will probably bite the bullet and go in that direction.

JayStPeter
09-07-2006, 7:54 PM
I'm surprised by your findings on the SF. But, I don't think you'll be dissapointed in your decision. I'm guessing that Amazon will not sell as many machines with their new pricing.

Gary Keedwell
09-07-2006, 8:08 PM
I'm not trying to hyjack this thread, but can I ask how you are machining your compound angle? As a machinist in my other life, I like to fix the problem rather than finding another solution. ( did that come out OK.?)

Gary K.

PS. I'm not trying to be a wise guy....just curious

John Hedges
09-07-2006, 8:18 PM
Gary,

No problem. I was cutting the compound miters on my TS. I created a jig to hold the workpiece which attached to my Kreg Miter Gauge. The cuts are very close but since this joint is visible on all sides in the final piece (and I tend to be a perfectionist (read anal)). I want to fine tune these to perfection. Another problem is that the ends of the workpiece are very narrow and fragile so I have been having some difficulties with chipout (even though I am using a freshly sharpened WWII). The chipout is minimal and doesn't always occur, but as I am sneaking up on the cut it always seems to occur on my final cut (doesn't it always). Hope that explains it, I know it is difficult to explain.

I thought this was good enough justification for a nice new toy anyway.

Bruce Page
09-07-2006, 9:49 PM
I have the Delta, about 4 years now. I have no complaints. It works well. Seems very well constructed.

John
Ditto, the Delta does a good job for me. I have not used the Shop Fox.
Hooked up to a shop vac, the Delta is virtually dust free - a feature that is very important to me.

Gary Keedwell
09-07-2006, 11:40 PM
LOL Thanx, I understand.

Gary K.