PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Tom Henry
09-06-2006, 11:06 AM
I have recently had the privilege of attending a class at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop and wanted to share my experience. It was a pleasure taking the Woodworking Machine Basics Course at PFW. I could spend day after day going to their shop and just listen to the years of experience. The tips and tricks will help me immensely with my woodworking efficiency. The techniques Alan demonstrated in class on how to handle and cut with your 4 major power tools is a great starting foundation that will greatly improve my future projects. I hope to attend more classes in the future to build on my self taught knowledge.

Alan- Thanks again!!!:)

Tom

Larry Fox
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
While I have only taken one course from the PFW (the first class with Jeff Jewitt) I can agree 100% with Tom that it is certainly a great place to take a course. Alan is a fantastic person to talk with and his shop will make your jaw drop. For anyone remotely close to the area and looking for a course, certainly give the course list a look.

Bill Grumbine
09-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I'll add my endorsement for the PFW as well, having been at the same class as Larry. I had a great time, learned a lot, and look forward to going back again sometime. Now if Alan could just get them to build him his own exit off the Surekill Expressway... :p

Bill

lou sansone
09-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I expected no less.. Alan's school is a class act. I hope to make an annual visit in the years to follow. I had the privilege of attending his very first course and it was great.

Lou

Larry Fox
09-06-2006, 1:01 PM
BTW: While we are on the subject - has anyone heard fom Alan lately? After reading this it occured to me that I have not seen a post from him in a while.

Rob Bodenschatz
09-06-2006, 1:25 PM
BTW: While we are on the subject - has anyone heard fom Alan lately? After reading this it occured to me that I have not seen a post from him in a while.
He's been around. I read a post of his recently about replacing his SawStop fence with a beis.

I'll concur with the comments above regarding the PFW. I took Alan's power tool course in the spring and it was great. I will say that you definitely get more out of it than what's in the course description. It's absolutely worth the time and money.

Jim Becker
09-06-2006, 9:45 PM
Yup, Alan and Mario have got a really good thing going...highly recommended. The facility is great and the people involved are the best of the best.

Alan posted the other day in a thread about a TS fence...

Todd Woodward
09-07-2006, 9:17 AM
Can you buy your lumber there or do you have to bring it with you? I am hoping to attend a class there at some point this winter. Is there parking in a lot or is it on the street? I'm thinking that I've been by there many times, I just can't place where it is.

Tom Henry
09-07-2006, 9:27 AM
You can address all of your questions to Alan Turner. He is a user of this site and the founder of PFW. Alan is a great guy and is very prompt with answering questions.There is on street and some future off street parking.

Alan Turner
09-07-2006, 9:28 AM
Tom, and others,

Yes, I am alive and well, and still do check in here, but have been so busy of late that I have only been able to spend limited time here.

I am always pleased that a student has enjoyed their experience at the school. For those that have not been to PFW for awhile, we have been making a number of improvements to the shop.

-- We expanded it a bit, and are now at 3600 feet.
-- We have added a second classroom, with the hope that we will be able to offer a full time course of study, perhaps nine months in length, for those that wish to pursue a career in furniture or cabinet making. Mario will be the primary instructor.
-- We have added air conditioning and supplemental heat. Some glues dry way too fast at 95 degrees, and not at all at 55 degrees. (: That is now remedied, and I can put the electric blanket away.
-- Dust collection, by way of two separate cyclones is nearly complete. Perhaps another week or so.
-- We have added a permanent 300 foot studio space for Mario, who is now a full time, permanent employee of PFW. I will say that I am continually amazed at the breadth and depth of Mario's knowledge of all manner of woodworking. I learn something every day from him.

Well, enough from the shameless commerce division of PFW. In fact, for me, this is truly a labor of love. Life is good when you are doing just what you want to do.

Alan Turner
PFW

Todd,
We cross posted, it seems. For project courses we will supply the materals, and frankly prefer to do so since the rough milling I can do at a generally faster pace than students, but if a student wants to bring their own, that is fine also. A discussion would be needed beforehand so that the class is not slowed down for stock preparation. We schedule pretty tight, and rough milling can take a while. Plus, a second milling, which requires some sitting time, is much preferred. We have a 20" jointer, and 24" planer, and so milling most things is pretty efficient. Tom is correct on the parking. We are working on that. The driving directions are on the site, under the "Contact" button.

John Stevens
09-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Alan is a gifted teacher as well as a great woodworker. With the improvements to the physical plant, and Mario Rodriguez now a permanent, full time instructor, the PFW is really taking off! This is great to see.