PDA

View Full Version : Online Quoting Sevices

Dave Chase
09-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Has anyone tried any of the online quoting services to obtain production work? I know some of the larger ones are MFGQuote.com and First Index. They mostly cater to the machining industry but they do have some RFQ's for laser marking. Any experiences/comments?

Mitchell Andrus
09-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Is there a listing fee, or do they get a percentage? Free? If you're going this route and can put up with the paperwork, there are government contractor's lists for gov'mt work...

Mitch

Joe Pelonio
09-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I guess it's a matter of what kind of work you want to do. I used to be on the government procurement list, and other than a few jobs for the Bonneville Power Administration I found most of their jobs to be way more trouble than it was worth to bid on. At least it was free. I ended up not renewing. These other ones are usually free to the buyer, but we the sellers would have to pay a fee, usually over $1,000 a year and as much as $10,000 or more year with no guarantee of any real work from it.

Jim A. Walters
09-08-2006, 9:12 PM
When we had our injection molding shop I subscribed to MFGQuote. Huge waste of money! The fees were high, and we only won 1 small prototyping job in 2 years. We weren't outrageously priced either. I have inquired to them about laser work, but the only laser work on their site was of the large metal cutting laser type.

Jim