PDA

View Full Version : Finished art storage cabinet

Jim Dunn
09-05-2006, 10:36 PM
I finally found some shop time for the first time this summer:eek: (It's hard watering all those plants;))

It's 48"L 22"W and 28" over all in height. Carcas is ply with Qtr sawn white oak for the stiled and rails. The raised panels are MDF that my wife finished. This thing weight a ton so it should be rock solid as a work surface.

Comments are welcome, but remember it's my first piece for someone other than myself:o:D

I might add that the white oak was from our own Tom Sontag here in St. Louis Mo. Great guy and great wood selection too.

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Very cool, Jim.

Is this the thing you were talking about back in the spring?

Dan Oliphant
09-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Looks good, sure do like qtr sawn white oak.

Jim Dunn
09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah Andy that's it:o:o As I said I've been real busy with business and just working around the house in general. Shop time was way way way on the back burner. But it was good to smell the wood instead of what I normally smell:D

Corey Hallagan
09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Very nice Jim. It looks great!

corey

Rick Doyle
09-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Great job, Jim. That q/s white oak looks beautiful - nice work!

Lars Thomas
09-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Jim, I think you have made a very nice and functional cabinet.. . .since you asked for comments, my suggestion would be to have your stiles run the full height on the frame for the raised panel. Also, it might be the picture, but it looks like you rounded over the drawer edges on in-set drawers. That's a bit unusual. Please accept this advice as constructive and it should not in any way detract from the over all project.

Jim Dunn
09-06-2006, 7:41 AM
Lars comments are noted and accepted. I tried a number of different tools/techniques/ideas on this cabinet. Upmost in my mind was splinters! Quarter sawn wood seems to be just waiting to grab you.

Steve Clardy
09-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Looks great. I like the arched opening.

Where ya been Jim:confused:

lou sansone
09-06-2006, 12:41 PM
well, another project off the list. looks very well made

lou

Karl Laustrup
09-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Very nice looking cabinet Jim. Good to have you back. Like you I've been out of the shop for far too long. I'm looking to get back to smelling some sawdust real soon.

Karl