PDA

View Full Version : Question about Johnson's Paste Wax

Lincoln Myers
09-05-2006, 9:43 PM
I am about to beging a final wax coat on some bunk bed pieces and wondered about the "freshness" of my paste wax. I have one can that has been opened - about 2 years ago. It looks OK, but wasn't sure what the shelf life is.

Also, I have a couple un-opened cans as well.

Any thoughts on if the wax is still OK? Or should I go buy a new can?

Thanks for any help.

-Linc

Thomas Canfield
09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Lincoln,

I hope you get a good answer, but I am using a can that must be over 6 years old. It gets used on all metal tops, fence guides, and often to polish a "ruff" turning pieces. Is there a practical shelf life? It does not appear to have any color or odor change and still gets good results.

Mike Kelly
09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Johnsons Paste Wax is good forever! I finished a can a couple of years ago that I had bought 19 years ago and it did not chage one bit in that time except to get gone over time very slowly. The new can I have will last another few years for sure without any degradation......

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-05-2006, 11:38 PM
DITTO from me!

Bruce

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Lincoln,

Your wax should be just fine. I've used JPW for a very long time now and have never had a can to go "bad". It lasts a very long time and does very well on your tools as well as your furniture pieces. :D

tod evans
09-06-2006, 6:40 AM
lincoln, i`m using a can of fuller-brush paste wax we gathered up from the wifes childhood farm, must be 30+ years old? still works fine. tod

Lincoln Myers
09-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Looks like the jury is in. I appreciate all your comments. I now feel safe using this wax on my project.

Hoping to have some completed pictures to share in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

-Linc

Mark Rios
09-06-2006, 4:55 PM
lincoln, i`m using a can of fuller-brush paste wax we gathered up from the wifes childhood farm, must be 30+ years old? still works fine. tod

Tod, didn't they use asbestos in that old Fuller Brush wax?

:D :D :D

tod evans
09-06-2006, 5:01 PM
Tod, didn't they use asbestos in that old Fuller Brush wax?

:D :D :D

dunnaknow? but given the amount of brake dust i`ve eaten over the years not to mention the asbestos siding i`ve torn off or the old pipe insulation i`ve disturbed, i don`t think a little more would hurt?? ;)

Loren Hedahl
09-06-2006, 6:29 PM

I always see all these new waxes in the auto parts stores, but have never had to buy any.

Since I wax my car every couple of months, relatives and neighbors are always offering to unload their old wax on me. I think what they do is see an advertisement for something new and wonderful in the wax offerings and feel guilty buying it when there is already a can on the shelf.

I don't have any such guilt and have a number of cans on my shelf. I haven't found any appreciable difference yet, but there are a number of cans still waiting to be opened by me.

tod evans
09-06-2006, 6:31 PM
loren, please don`t use automotive wax on woodwork or woodworking tools........tod

Brian Hale
09-06-2006, 6:43 PM
tod, I use McGuire's (SP?) swirl remover on every piece that leaves my shop, most often applied with a RO polisher. I then finish up with a coat of Renaissance Wax. Are you concerned about the silicone in automotive waxes?

Brian :)

Mike Henderson
09-06-2006, 6:46 PM
loren, please don`t use automotive wax on woodwork or woodworking tools........tod
Okay, I'll ask - why?

Mike

tod evans
09-06-2006, 6:57 PM
automotive waxes contain any number of ingredients that are incompatable with wood finishes one of which is the dreaded silicone. most don`t list the chemical makeup on the can so to say one is safe and another not would be dificult at best. furniture wax on the other hand is generally a mix of carnuba-n-beeswax. neither of those will leave a residue, say on boards run across a waxed saw table. i`m sure there are others here who are able to offer a more detailed discription but i avoid automotive wax in the shop.....02 tod

Bill Esposito
09-06-2006, 7:16 PM
Funny you should ask. I just read in Jeff Jewett's book today that paste wax does not have a shelf life. If you happen to open a can that is 50 or 100 years old and it's all dried up, a little turpentine will revive it.