PDA

View Full Version : Strange creeker sighting

Bob Noles
09-05-2006, 8:20 PM
I was catching up on my reading for today and ran up on this stranger wandering the halls of SMC.

Can anyone identify who or what this is about? :eek:

Keith Burns
09-05-2006, 8:23 PM
Bob, I don't have a clue although he does look vaguely familiar.....oh, could it be the American Idol ?:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-05-2006, 8:30 PM
I vaguely remember the face.......seems to me the guy was into "horseys" IIRC...............

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2006, 9:11 PM
Yup - I know that guy, and proud to say that I did way back when he swam in the creek daily. But danged if I can recall his name.

Ben Horsewright, maybe?
John Horsewithnoname, perhaps?

But I do know that his favorite singing group is Peter, Paul & Pinto.

or was it The Rolling Saddles?
Nope! It's the Uglysticks - appearing courtesy of the Quarterhorse Records label

John Hart
09-05-2006, 9:34 PM
All I can say is, "Neigh....Neigh":p :)

It's good to be back in the saddle agin.

John Miliunas
09-05-2006, 9:36 PM
Nice to see you paddling 'round the Creek again, John! :D :cool:

Jim Becker
09-05-2006, 9:49 PM
Does this mean the electric is in and working, John?? Or are you on a horse-driven computer... :D

Jim Dunn
09-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I detect the smell of "horsey" on the creek tonight:) Good to see ya John!!

John Hart
09-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Does this mean the electric is in and working, John?? Or are you on a horse-driven computer... :D

Well....sorta. It's an 8-week wait for real power, so I bought a 10,000 Watt generator that I hooked up to the diesel engine in the shop and ran 4-ought cable from the shop to the house. So, we're rockin' and rollin'. Satellite is installed and, amazingly enough, we got DSL out here in the sticks so that's on line too. The diesel consumes about 50 gallons of off-road fuel every 2-3 weeks depending on how hard the generator tugs at it....and off-road fuel is running about $1.75 a gallon right now. So, we're doing ok.

Got some pics here. This first one is a herd of the neighbor's livestock. He raises these and sells them to hunting clubs for anywhere between $1000 to $10,000 a pop, depending on the rack size. The doe go for a lot less.

These next two are of the wall I built to seperate the kitchen from the living room. Put in some french doors and it looks pretty cool. It's all finished but I didn't take any pics yet.

Now....as you might remember, There are two houses on this property and I wanted to join them together with a 600 square foot atrium. These next two are of the concrete for that room. The slab is a foot thick with 3 foot deep footers all around. (Talk about a lot of digging---Yikes!!)

I'll hafta show the other pics in the next frame

John Hart
09-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Ok...Here's some pics of the framing and with the outer walls put up.

And this is an inside pic that shows what the basic structure looks like

John Hart
09-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Now, these pics are kinda dark. I took them tonight to show where I am right now.

I got the insulation in over the weekend and I'm facing the cross beams with oak right now. Probably get the drywall and siding done this week and then I'll lay the floor next week.

Got some tools moved into the shop but I'm still waiting for the Amish tools to be moved out. But I have the TS and Drill Press and Miter Saw set up and that pretty much takes care of everything.

I'm in heaven gang!:)

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Ahhh. I love the smell of fresh cut lumber in the morning.

Looks fabulous, John. Happy for you. Very happy.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Probably the only thing that might make you happier is turning on the lathe or was it feeding horses. ;) :rolleyes: John you sound like a happy man. Good to see you back and swimming in the Creek.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I was catching up on my reading for today and ran up on this stranger wandering the halls of SMC.

Can anyone identify who or what this is about? :eek:

By the way Bob............John isn't strange as the title eludes to...........He's just ....well..........sort of .......different.........But he's a nice guy!:D

Corey Hallagan
09-05-2006, 11:22 PM
John good to see yah back. The new home is looking beautiful! We have missed your calming effect around here. Don't be a stranger!

corey

Jim Dunn
09-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Wood sure smells better that the south end of a horse, don't it John??:) Looks like you and yours are making out A-OK.

Cecil Arnold
09-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Good to see you back John, but you didn't tell us about the work you must be doing on the stable.

Bob Noles
09-06-2006, 5:38 AM
John,

It is wonderful to see you back...... sure have and still do have your work cut out, but looks like you have found some true happiness out there. I'll bet the girls hare having a blast as well.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-06-2006, 6:59 AM
Good to see you back, and from you pics, I can see why you were not putting in so much time here :eek:

BTW, where did you set up your lathe.............? :D

tod evans
09-06-2006, 7:00 AM
hey man, glad you decided to stop by for a bit.......ya` know being as you type with more than one finger it really shouldn`t be a big deal to come say "hi" once a week or so.......tod

Karl Laustrup
09-06-2006, 7:22 AM
Good to see you back John. The homestead is looking really good. Keep the updates coming.

Karl

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2006, 8:58 AM
All I can say is, "Neigh....Neigh":p :)

It's good to be back in the saddle agin.

WOW!!! Welcome back John. Does the above mean that you now have horses for the kids...and you.....and the LOYL? :rolleyes: :D

Mike Ramsey
09-06-2006, 9:04 AM
Welcome back John! It looks like "Paradise" is coming along nicely..

George Conklin
09-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Well, it's obvioius you've been a busy man. Looks like things are coming along nicely. I bet you're an exausted man by days end.

Nice to have you back, John.

Continued good luck on your new digs.:)

John Hart
09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone!! Been having a good time...although, tiring at times. I'll tell you this much...With all this physical work, I am in the best shape of my life right now. I forgot what it felt like to have energy and stamina.:)

We still have cows and horses in the pasture, but as soon as they move out, I start planting trees and gutting out the Stable. There are plenty of ponies next door and our neighbors will graciously allow the girls to learn how to ride and take care of them. Meanwhile, my yard stays fairly clear of horse poop.;)

Oh...by the way....I took a long stroll through the woods the other day. There's sure a lot of bowls and vases in there.:D

Barry Stratton
09-06-2006, 12:26 PM
The house is looking FANTASTIC!!! Lots of hard work on that one, for sure.

Good to hear from you as well.

Bill White
09-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Why a foot thick and three foot footings? (Did that sound redundant?)
Bill

John Hart
09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Why a foot thick and three foot footings? (Did that sound redundant?)
Bill

Well...the three foot footing feet things are to prevent frost creep to the center of the slab...so it doesn't heave up and wreck my mood. The reason it's a foot thick is mainly to compensate for the grade of the land and matching up the foundations of the two houses. In the end, I figure she ain't goin' nowheres. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2006, 12:55 PM
John.........To quote Larry.........If in doubt build'er stout! I often find myself over building things ........once..........I don't like to do things twice and I don't like repairing things I've designed or built! I'm with you on that foundation!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-06-2006, 2:40 PM
John.........To quote Larry.........If in doubt build'er stout! I often find myself over building things ........once..........I don't like to do things twice and I don't like repairing things I've designed or built! I'm with you on that foundation!
Yep, my granddad always used to say "Why is there enough time do DO IT RIGHT the SECOND time...........?"

Should be great John!

Cheers!

Glenn Clabo
09-06-2006, 3:09 PM
John isn't strange as the title eludes to...........He's just ....well..........sort of .......different.........But he's a nice guy!:D

Funny...After that day I spent with him solving all the worlds problems but coming up blank on how he was going to use the acre of space ABOVE his shop...I'd say strangely different is second only to amazingly blessed. :D

Chris DiCiaccio
09-06-2006, 4:06 PM
Welcome back, glad things are going well for you.

Ernie Nyvall
09-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Glad to see you on here John. Man that's great how the houses were positioned so you could connect them like that, and it looks great.