PDA

View Full Version : Westhampton Beach Stairs (Pics)

Richard Wolf
09-05-2006, 7:10 PM
It's been awhile since I've posted any stairs, so here is one we just finished today. The stair treads are Brazilian Cherry and we delieverd them a few weeks ago.
The rails and box newels are mahogany, the balusters are wrought iron with brushed nickel baskets.
These are in Condo units in Westhampton Beach, the asking price; $1.5 million.
Thanks for looking.

Richard

Richard Wolf
09-05-2006, 7:12 PM
More pics;

Don Baer
09-05-2006, 7:17 PM
More fine work there Richard. Just what a place in that price range needs to make it sell.

Bruce Volden
09-05-2006, 7:18 PM
Baskets!!! That's what they're called!! I seriously didn't know there was a name for them....

Your work as usual amazes me. Something as simple as stairs. I couldn't imagine the "calculations" going into something like this. You make them seem as if it was a natural thing for you. I do realize however that it is your "work". I 'spose one gets quite good at it when one's making a living doing this!!

VERY NICE

Bruce

Brian Buckley
09-05-2006, 7:34 PM
Richard,
Another fantastic job. I envy your skill level. Please continue to post your inspiring work.

Brian

Per Swenson
09-05-2006, 7:56 PM
Excellent Richard,

Stairs are the pinacle of a carpenters expertise.

I have not seen consistent or better stair job's then yours.

And I ain't blowin air here.

Per

Roy Wall
09-05-2006, 8:10 PM
Richard,

Lookin good .........I like iron!

I have some questions:

1) Do you guys do the "rough in" on the stairs?
2) the base of the iron, is it screwed to the cherry flooring?
How is it attached to the underside of the rails...?
3) The iron balusters are obviously (hopefully) the exact same height??? How do you account for any variance in height from stair tread to under the rails.......and so forth.....as you work your way up...or down?? You know, an 1/8th here, a 1/4 there....??? A shim under the hand rail? Or is it always dead perfect!:confused: :)

Thanks!

Steve Clardy
09-05-2006, 8:10 PM
Looks great Richard!

Jerry Olexa
09-05-2006, 8:17 PM
Continued excellent work....

Richard Wolf
09-05-2006, 8:25 PM
Richard,

Lookin good .........I like iron!

I have some questions:

1) Do you guys do the "rough in" on the stairs?
2) the base of the iron, is it screwed to the cherry flooring?
How is it attached to the underside of the rails...?
3) The iron balusters are obviously (hopefully) the exact same height??? How do you account for any variance in height from stair tread to under the rails.......and so forth.....as you work your way up...or down?? You know, an 1/8th here, a 1/4 there....??? A shim under the hand rail? Or is it always dead perfect!:confused: :)

Thanks!

No rough in on the stairs, in the North East, stairs are shop built and delivered as a finished product to the job site, around sheet rock time.

The iron balusters are designed for use with wood rails, The top 1" is round and fits in a 1/2" hole under the rail. The tread gets a 11/16" hole in it and a wedge holds the baluster in place. The top and bottom are also epoxied in place. The shoe also has a set screw in it to help hold the baluster. The balusters come in different lenghts and can be trimmed from the bottom with a portable bandsaw.
No, nothing is perfect!!!

Richard

Dave Shively
09-05-2006, 8:29 PM
Richard, Very nice work there. It is the first I have seen of yours and hope to see more.

Dave

Roy Wall
09-05-2006, 8:29 PM
Thanks Richard!!!!

Now I know..........excellent work!

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2006, 8:45 PM
1.5 mil for the stairs seems a bit steep, even though they are very cool.

Are they throwing in the condo as a loss leader?:D

Jim Becker
09-05-2006, 9:36 PM
Beautiful, Richard. I really like the look of the iron balusters, too. If the costs are not too far out of bounds, I wouldn't mind using them for our addition stairs and for the replacement railing across the "loft library" above the great room. Time will tell...

Peter Pedisich
09-05-2006, 9:41 PM
Richard,

I really like the box newel posts, did you make them in the shop? and if so what is the best joinery method?

Thanks for the cool detail shots.

Pete

John Miliunas
09-05-2006, 9:42 PM
Seems I never tire of seeing yet another beautiful set of stairs you've created! :) As always, wonderful Richard...Just wonderful! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-05-2006, 9:43 PM
Richard.........You and a few others set the standards here at the Creek! Excellent as always! I'm envious of your skills!

Ben Grunow
09-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Looks great Richard- what do you use to make the curved cuts on the tread end caps? I am used to a straight cut with a 45 towards the nosing side. Router with pattern? Looks elegant.

I can see that the nosings (2) are the same distance from the face of the newel post on the upper landing. That is a detail that I think is important and often takes some serious figuring to get it done. Nicely done.

Corey Hallagan
09-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Another beautiful job Richard! I don't think you have posted a wood and iron combination job before. I like that.

corey

Jon Eckels
09-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Beautiful staircase, richard.

On a side note, just curious if you've ever shopped at Water Mill Lumber? I'm just wondering if we've ever met. :)

Bob Childress
09-06-2006, 7:47 AM
Gorgeous work as always, Richard. I never tire of seeing your stairways. Keep 'em coming!

Richard Wolf
09-06-2006, 7:57 AM
Looks great Richard- what do you use to make the curved cuts on the tread end caps? I am used to a straight cut with a 45 towards the nosing side. Router with pattern? Looks elegant.

I don't always return my treads with the swoosh method, some people like it, others don't. I use a shaper and templates to cut both sides.

Richard

Richard Wolf
09-06-2006, 8:00 AM
Richard,

I really like the box newel posts, did you make them in the shop? and if so what is the best joinery method?

Pete

We make most of our box newels ourselves. We did make these. I use a lock miter bit to join the corners, while I hate to set it up, it is the best method.

Richard

Neil Lamens
09-06-2006, 8:12 AM
WOW!!!.......Richard.

Really appreciate your skill level..........that winder was no easy task. What the heck angle is that???? Are all the stair lay-outs the same in all condo units?????

Nice work man!!!!!