PDA

View Full Version : Mdf Sheets? Question about boxes-

V.A Melle
09-05-2006, 6:34 PM
Hi Again!
Anybody know where to get Mdf sheets for a good price? hopefully close to home. 4'x8' is fine or smaller. I need to cut 3x3 inch squares.

And I want to try to make a very simple box with a sliding lid. I downloaded a design from Berry basket and I was wondering how would I cut a 3-5mm thick groove so that the lid can slide into place instead of rest on top of the box. On the design on the side ends have a slot that a piece can slide into that would stablize the material from bending. Any ideas and possible settings-I dont what it to cut through the front and back piece just halfway. How can I do this? Anything would help...

Sending Sunshine,
Valerie

George M. Perzel
09-05-2006, 8:09 PM
Hi Valerie;
Trying to make a box out of mdf with a laser is kinda like using a toothbrush to clean your shower-you can do it but there's a whole lotta better, faster ways with regular woodworking equipment (tablesaw, router, bandsaw, etc.) Once the basic pieces are cut, use the laser to engrave designs-things you can't do with normal equipment.
Good luck
george

Shaddy Dedmore
09-05-2006, 9:39 PM
Sounds like you'll want to raster the groove. Would you want to use 1/4" for the sides/bottom, then 1/8 for the lid?

Any local lumber yards should have it, the Big Orange Box does too. not sure about price differences, you'll have to just shop around. BOB has smaller sheets too, but then you're probably paying more.

If you laser, paper-mask both sides.

You have a link to the pattern you'll be using so I can get a visual?

Shaddy

Joe Pelonio
09-06-2006, 7:59 AM
Sounds like you'll want to raster the groove. Would you want to use 1/4" for the sides/bottom, then 1/8 for the lid?

Any local lumber yards should have it, the Big Orange Box does too. not sure about price differences, you'll have to just shop around. BOB has smaller sheets too, but then you're probably paying more.

If you laser, paper-mask both sides.

You have a link to the pattern you'll be using so I can get a visual?

Shaddy
I agree with rastoring the groove, though it could take a lot of time (several passes) to go deep enough. You could also vector part way and use a chisel to clean it out, similar to cutting grooves on a table saw. You clould also use material 1/2 as thick and glue together minus the groove area. That way it can all be cut on the laser.

If you can find a local small cabinetmaker nearby, ask them if they have mdf scraps, I get them from a neighboring shop free. Apparently a lot of the material he buys is shipped with 1/8" or 1/4" mdf to protect it.

Bob Tate
09-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I make a lot of boxes that must be similar to those described. My best solution was to vector cut the pieces, then using a jig I cut from 1/4 inch acrylic, use a trim router to cut the slot. After the slot is cut, put the pieces back into the sheet they were cut from and finish engraving. Sometimes the finish comes before the router, sometimes after, depending on the wood used. The router works well for me.