PDA

View Full Version : Pre gloat - MM16

Tom Ruflin
09-05-2006, 4:41 PM
I just have to tell someone. I just ordered a Mini Max MM16 bandsaw and got the IWF deal ($300 off the price plus 3 blades plus the mobility kit). I orderd at 2:30 pm eastern time and was told it's shipping today! I was considering the Bridgwood PBS-440 but it was a little to small (12" resaw) and the PBS-540 which is too big for my basement shop. The mm16 is right between them in size. I am concerned about the switch working ok but from recent posts it sounds like Mini Max will take care of it. I'll post a real gloat with pictures when it arrives.

Cecil Arnold
09-05-2006, 6:05 PM
Tom, you're gonna' love it, congratulations. I would be a bit concerned about getting that heavy sucker into a basement. Really glad they threw the mobility kit in, don't know if you'll like or not but check out Bruce Paige's fix for a mobile base.

tod evans
09-05-2006, 6:25 PM
tom, welcome to the mm family! tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-05-2006, 6:50 PM
Congrats.
What is the shipping charge??

Tom Ruflin
09-05-2006, 7:04 PM
I'm not to concerned about getting it into the basement, I'll just take as much of it apart as possible (it's a great way to learn about the machine). That's how I got my SawStop cabinet saw down into the basement.
The shipping cost was $326. I won't be moving the saw much except to move it away from the wall if needed. I'll check out Bill Paige's mobile base modifications.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Joe Mioux
09-05-2006, 7:56 PM
Tom I got this saw a couple weeks ago, it is great.

I had some trouble with the foot brake switch not working properly, but CS described the problem and it was an easy fix. Although I did bang up my knuckles a bit and used words that are forbidden here at SMC;)

Other than that its alot of saw.

Joe

Bruce Page
09-05-2006, 7:56 PM
Yikes! I went from Bruce Paige to Bill Paige in only 4 posts! :rolleyes:
Congrats on the MM16, you’re going to love it.
Here’s the link to the mobile base info. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10507

Bruce Page ;)

Dave Shively
09-05-2006, 8:37 PM
Tom, As others have said you WILL love it! With a 1"cabide blade it will resaw boards like butter. I just did some 10" walnut, like I said like butter.

Dave

Tom Ruflin
09-05-2006, 8:47 PM
Bruce, sorry about the name change and thanks for the link, it looks like a great solution to a questionable factory mobile base.

Joe, I have read that others have had problems with the different safety switches and their adjusments, If it does not fire right up I will start with those adjustments.

Dave, Good to hear about the resaw cababilities as I have some 12+" tiger maple that I would like to resaw. Can't wait!!

Thanks

Mark Rios
09-05-2006, 8:50 PM
Oh man....if you hear a slurping gurgling sound that's drool from 3000 miles away. :D

WTG!

Jim Becker
09-05-2006, 9:34 PM
Congratulations, Tom...nice choice and a good deal! If your basement steps are straight, you really don't need to tear down the saw. Just slide it down on it's spine with the help of at least two or three friends. (Really, have the help!) Removing the table is relatively easy, but that's as far as I would take it... ;)

"Gary Brewer"
09-10-2006, 2:05 AM
Congratulation! Who did you work with at mm and were you happy with him? I had called last week just to ask about the mm16, get some prices and check it out and was told the IWF prices were not available now. Do you know what shipper they used for your order? Thanks ( Victor near Rochester )
Gary Brewer

Gary Herrmann
09-10-2006, 2:49 AM
Good choice. I've had my MM16 for almost two years and I've been very pleased.

Tom Ruflin
09-10-2006, 8:15 AM
Gary, Sam Blasco was my sales contact. He seems like a great guy, he got me the IWF pricing by getting my order in before they finnished the orders they had taken during the show. My saw shipped 2 days after the order!! They used Watkins to ship my saw which is affilliated with FedEx HTL or something like that. They also use Yellow freight (they delivered my SawStop with damage to the fence and another box), Watkins was about $20 cheaper. I'll find out Tuesday how good they are, the tracking says the saw is in Rochester and to be delivered on Tuesday. Sam did mention that their next sale promotion will be in December, if you can wait you might be able to save some dollars.

scott spencer
09-10-2006, 8:40 AM
You're gonna love that saw....congrats!

"Gary Brewer"
09-10-2006, 5:02 PM
Tom: Thank you very much for the information. I'll deal with Sam when I'm ready. Did they include a truck with a lift gate with the shipping costs? Just wondering if you belong to the Rochester Woodworkers Society?
Thanks again,
Gary Brewer

Joe Mioux
09-10-2006, 5:38 PM
Tom: Thank you very much for the information. I'll deal with Sam when I'm ready. Did they include a truck with a lift gate with the shipping costs? Just wondering if you belong to the Rochester Woodworkers Society?
Thanks again,
Gary Brewer

Gary:

Hope this is helpful....

Mine came out Watkins. Truck ran from Austin, to Memphis to St Louis.

This occured in a 2 day time frame. From there shipping via lift gate took an extra 7 days. Probably longer had I not did some inquiries.

Watkins got the saw to ST Louis, then Superior took over from there. Superior has a truck with a lift gate. Watkins in St Louis doesn't have a liftgate trailer.

I could have had the saw 4 days earlier if I wanted to run into STL and pick it up at the loading dock. I chose to the let them make the delivery.

Joe

Doug Shepard
09-10-2006, 6:17 PM
If you have half as much fun as I did with your new baby, you're in for a treat.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26027

Congratulations.

Mike Spanbauer
09-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Definite score on the new saw. It's wonderful. I've had mine for 16 months, but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones since I never had any switch issues whatsoever (probably 150-200 hours use on it currently).

It has serious power :) The only thing found wanting on this saw is the throat depth, but you can't do any better w/ 16" wheels.

Mike

Tom Ruflin
09-11-2006, 9:46 PM
Gary,

The shipping cost includes lift gate service, hopefully the driver will help push it up the driveway to the garage. And yes I am a member of RWS which is a great organization that I have learned alot from. "Mini" should arrive sometime tomorrow!!!! I'll post a real gloat when I have pictures.