PDA

View Full Version : Cothren Pecan

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2006, 4:24 PM
Back in June, Mark Cothren forced me to accept a chunk of Arkansas grown Pecan in exchange for promising to never visit his home state. Finally got around to messing with it and came up with this. The form on this one is new for me and evolved as I was roughing it. In other words - it was in control, not me. Not sure I like it, and am anxious to know what you folks think.

It's about eleven inches across, six high, and a bit thicker than my usual - mostly because I got tired of fighting end grain tear out. Gel poly'd and buffed.

46232 46233

46234 46235

John Hart
09-05-2006, 4:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that I like it. Wood, form, finish...evreything. That form happens to be my favorite...so I'm biased though.

So....if you go to Arkiesaw....do you have to give him the bowl?:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-05-2006, 4:49 PM
Well done Andy! Could you show us a view that doesn't have endgrain?:confused: :D I personally like that form!

Mark Pruitt
09-05-2006, 5:08 PM
I definitely like the form Andy! I like the way it makes a subtle turn back to the outside as it approaches the rim. Foot size is just right. Definitely pleasing to the eye--my eyes at least. In fact, if you don't mind I'm going to print it and put it in my small, but growing, stack of favorite profiles.
Mark

Cecil Arnold
09-05-2006, 6:01 PM
I like it Andy, but that much ice cream would make my belly hurt.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2006, 6:42 PM
It is a beauty Andy. Like the form for sure. Great job.

Steve Clardy
09-05-2006, 6:43 PM
Looking in my book for a description of Cothren pecan.:confused:

Doesn't look to good so far----------Lol

Good looking bowl Andy.

Curt Fuller
09-05-2006, 7:59 PM
Looks like it had a lot more than endgrain to fight with. I see branches, bark inclusions, etc. Whatever you did to fight the tearout must have worked because it doesn't show in the photos.

As for the form, what I like about it is that it's different. Bowls can become a little bit like the sock rack at Walmart in that you can have all sizes and colors but they're all the same shape. Experimenting with new shapes spices things up a a bit.

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2006, 9:21 PM
Thanks guys.

I like the sock analogy, Curt. Since I do not wear - nor own - an ascot, or a beret for that matter, the pursuit of new forms is usually something I leave to those who do.

All I do is strive for (using another analogy) the perfect wave - so desperately sought by surfers. One consistent arc base to rim regardless of piece's dimension. Knowing that, surf through my old bowls and you'll see a lot of wipe outs!

John Miliunas
09-05-2006, 9:35 PM
Well, sir, this piece is certainly NOT a "wipeout"! I like the form and the finish is your usual "killer"! :) Nicely done, Andy. :) :cool: