PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the LU80R Ultimate Plywood blade?

Tom Jones III
09-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Currently I'm using Freud's LU85R Ultimate Cutoff Blade when cutting veneered hardwood plywood and it does a pretty good job. I've got an important project coming up that will include a lot of veneered ply. I'm bringing the blades in to get sharpened and I was wondering if I should pick up a dedicated ply blade like the LU80? Will I find a noticeable difference between the LU80 and LU85?

FWIW, this is on being used on a 3HP PM 66, so no power problems and no scoring knife.

scott spencer
09-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi Tom - I've never compared those two blades directly, but have used the F810 (predecessor to the LU80), the Freud LU74 and a DeWalt DW7647 which are both similar to the LU85. The F810 cuts cleaner than any other of the 20 plus blades I've used. Whether or not it'll justify the expense I can't say, but it is impressive and is designed to do exactly the task you described.

The Hi-ATB teeth shear and score the wood as they cut....it's the cleanest cutting of all grinds that I'm aware of, but there's no free lunch. The sharp points on a Hi-ATB blade are prone to dulling faster than standard ATB grinds. If the cost doesn't deter you, and/or you think you'll get other use from it, maybe give it a try, but your LU85 should do a respectable job too.

Mark Rios
09-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I bought one and made one cut in mahogany plywood with it and went right back in and ordered another one.

Very nice blade.

Just go ahead and buy it.