PDA

View Full Version : Micro Jig to release steel splitter

Bill Esposito
09-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I've been biting my tongue for a year awaiting its release. :) Micro Jig is hoping to release it in September with October being the worst case as he's just waiting on the packaging art.

Feel free to post any questions here.

Aaron Beaver
09-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Great, can't wait to try one. I haven't tried the two splitters that you show on your site, might have to look into that.

Steve Clardy
09-05-2006, 2:00 PM
Yes. Henry told me quite some time ago He was working on one.

Ken Deckelman
09-05-2006, 5:34 PM
I have been using the plastic splitter for 8 months now, and I find it great but a little weak.
The steal version looks great, but I wish it used the same spacing as the plastic one so I could put it right in my ZCI.

scott spencer
09-05-2006, 5:38 PM
So where do we apply for the SMC discount on this thing?

Bill Esposito
09-05-2006, 6:08 PM
I have been using the plastic splitter for 8 months now, and I find it great but a little weak.
The steal version looks great, but I wish it used the same spacing as the plastic one so I could put it right in my ZCI.Ken,
Ok, this is not sanctioned by anyone but you could re-drill your old insert if you're careful.

In this pic I raised my blade, installed the new drill guide and lined it up with the blade, and drilled. Since I actually don't know if I had my blade up all the way when I drilled this insert a year ago for the original MJ Splitter that could have caused the misalignment...or maybe they just don't line up exactly.

But anyway, with a little care I could have moved the new guide back about a 1/16 of an inch and totally drilled out the first hole. Instead I left about 1/4 of the original hole (arrow points to it). Then you could fill in the second hole and you should be good to go.

http://nhwoodworker.com/microjig/mjpro24.jpg

Gary Keedwell
09-05-2006, 6:58 PM
Bill, went to your site again and read some Festool reviews. What does "TDK" mean? I cannot find it anywhere. I have the manual ( 15.6) and still can't find it.

Gary K.

Bill Esposito
09-05-2006, 9:31 PM
Bill, went to your site again and read some Festool reviews. What does "TDK" mean? I cannot find it anywhere. I have the manual ( 15.6) and still can't find it.

Gary K.

Total Drilling Koolness? First letters of 3 German words having to do with drilling or screwdriving I believe....but I really dont know...I've emailed the Festool CEO for an answer :)

Ken Deckelman
09-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks Bill,
I was figuring to fill the existing holes with epoxy probably...then re-drill. I guess I'll just have to wait till I can get one in my hands and make the decision at that time.

Anybody heard a price yet?

Bill Esposito
09-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks Bill,
Anybody heard a price yet?About 30 bucks.

Mark Patoka
09-06-2006, 8:04 AM
Thanks for the review Bill. I've been meaning to get the original MJ splitter but will hold out for the new ones.

Mark Patoka
09-06-2006, 8:30 AM
Thanks for the review Bill. I've been meaning to get the original MJ splitter but will hold out for the new ones.

Bill Esposito
09-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the review Bill. I've been meaning to get the original MJ splitter but will hold out for the new ones.Mark, thanks. I think that's a good move as this version is definately superior to the original.

Bill Esposito
09-09-2006, 11:16 PM
I just updated the review with a bunch more testing.

Bill Esposito
09-14-2006, 6:33 PM

Gary K.

CDD = Cordless Drill Driver
TDD = T-Shape Drill Driver
TDK = TDD Kompakt (compact). They changed the name from TDD to TDK because the TDK was more compact.

Craig Stueve
09-14-2006, 7:48 PM
I just updated the review with a bunch more testing.

Thanks for the updates Bill.

Craig

Dennis Peacock
09-14-2006, 8:31 PM
Thanks Bill. Yup....Henry is a great guy with a great line of products. Nothing better than seeing a product improvement come to life. :cool: :D

Frank Pellow
09-14-2006, 8:34 PM
That's good news Bill. I really like the jig but I have, to date, broken the little plastic feet off 5 of them in the year and a half that I have owned it (and they are not cheap to replace).

Frank Pellow
09-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Bill, now that I have taken the time to read your review, I am even happier about this improvement to a product that I already liked.

And, you are to be congratulated on the inovative methods that you used to test this thing. Also the short videos are a nice touch and are most informative.

Bill Esposito
09-15-2006, 8:43 PM
That's good news Bill. I really like the jig but I have, to date, broken the little plastic feet off 5 of them in the year and a half that I have owned it (and they are not cheap to replace).

Frank,

For future reference, the Splitters (both Original and new) come with a one year warranty. If you break them they will be replaced under warranty.

Bill Esposito
09-15-2006, 8:44 PM
Bill, now that I have taken the time to read your review, I am even happier about this improvement to a product that I already liked.

And, you are to be congratulated on the inovative methods that you used to test this thing. Also the short videos are a nice touch and are most informative.

Thanks....I'm all splittered out right about now though :)

Frank Pellow
09-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Frank,

For future reference, the Splitters (both Original and new) come with a one year warranty. If you break them they will be replaced under warranty.
Interesting. I ordered the replacements directly from the company and talked to a salesman there on the phone. He certainly knew that I had broken both originals and that I had owned them for less then a year. He did not mention a warrently and happily took my credit card details then sent the replacements to me.