PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Problem

Bob_Hammond
09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I had replaced the drain on the bottom of my compressor with an elbow, and an extension to make it easier to reach. Unfortunately, when I recently moved I snapped off the copper pipe elbow, and there isn't really enough left sticking out of the copressor to grab to unscrew. Any good ideas on how to get it out?

Thanks

Bob

Tyler Howell
09-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I hate it when that happens!!!
Can you run a screw drive down in there??
A tap of the correct size can do the job or and EZ out!!
Good luck.

Don Baer
09-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Go to you local auto parts store and get an thing called an "Easy Out".
I believe a #6 will do the trick. there easy to use and will make short order of getting the pipe out.

http://static.zoovy.com/img/usfreight/-/1218a6pcspiral

Bob_Hammond
09-05-2006, 11:40 AM
I love this website. Within 10 mins I have a couple of good answers.

Bob

tod evans
09-05-2006, 12:43 PM
bob, here`s the type of easy-out that i like to use on broken pipe...02 tod

Al Willits
09-05-2006, 12:50 PM
EZ out would be my choice, but I'd drill the hole out as far as I could without hitting the threads, the bigger the ez out ya use the less chance of snapping the ez out there is....imho

Al

Rick Christopherson
09-05-2006, 1:07 PM
First off to Al,
This is a pipe, not a screw, so not only do you not need to drill it out, you don't want to weaken the sidewalls of the pipe by enlarging the inner diameter.

Bob,
I had the same problem with my portable compressor when it fell over and broke off the main air inlet (same size as your drain plug). I used the regular style EZ-out, but I think Tod's version might be the better choice because it grips more of the interior of the pipe than the tapered threads of the regular EZ-out.