PDA

View Full Version : making lighting fixtures

Gary Hoemann
09-05-2006, 8:53 AM
We are about to start construction on a craftsman style house. I would like to make many of the interior light fixtures, but I have a few questions about things other than the basic wood working. How much do I have to worry about heat buildup in a fixture as it pertains to fire safety and the durability of the finish? I can learn the basic wiring, but would I be better off starting with the base of an old or cheap fixture and building the actual fixture off of that?

Ben Grunow
09-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I have never done this kind of work but it seems to me that most sconces and table lamps are rated for 60 watt bulbs which generate relativley low heat and most of it is from the glass portion. A light bulb socket will come with a threaded shank with a nut that must be mounted in glue of some sort or actually screwed together in a hole in wood (nut on one side of the hole and socket above). Sitting next to my table lamp (which has been on for 4 hours) the base of the socket does not feel warm at all.

The hard part will be the shades.

Cant speak to the finish part. Good luck.

Lars Thomas
09-06-2006, 12:02 AM
This isn't much in the way of construction detail, but awhile back Dave Richards posted a great looking craftsman style lamp.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29183

Ben Grunow
09-06-2006, 8:48 PM
Another thought. Lighting must be UL listed (with the little sticker or stamp inside) to be accepted by building inspectors. You might want to talk with them about this or maybe someone here has some insight into this issue.

I know that we dont install non listed fixtures (usually purchased by some foo foo decorator for too much money from somewhere in Europe but of course made in china) in the houses we build because of the inspectors and our insurance would not cover us if a house burned down due to one of them.

You should see them squirm when they find out they have to be returned.