PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
09-05-2006, 8:41 AM
Good Morning,

I hope each of you had a nice holiday weekend. Weather here has been very nice with cool temps at night and comfortable temps during the day.

I've been working on some rustic type cabinets for the local 2nd Chance Youth Ranch. The materials were donated and my family and I are donating our labor to build the cabinets for them for their grand opening. It's been a big task so far, but I know it will be well worth it in the end.

Still haven't completed the computer desk, but it's getting closer now than it's ever been. I'm just glad to have all the legs done, the stretchers between the legs done and pretty much ready for making the top and two keyboard trays. After that, I have to get an oval table made for a lady at work. She's been very patient with me and very understanding.

It's back to work today and I'm hoping I can make some more progress in the shop tonight.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

John Timberlake
09-05-2006, 8:48 AM
Went to the turning club meeting on Saturday morning. We had a demo on finishing techniques plus I got several pieces of wood at the raffle. Saturday and Sunday I turned all but one of these into bowls. Also cleaned up the shop completely. It had been while since I had done anything other than vacuum up the chips. Put everything in its place and cleaned well.

Also mowed the grass and finished up the last tasks associated with getting my septic system running again.

Greg Narozniak
09-05-2006, 9:08 AM
With welcoming our newest family addition to the world it was a busy 5 days. Got my DC hung and actually used my tablesaw to trim up a small section of fence. After 3+ months in limbo the Unisaw fired right up and purred like a kitten.

Now if I could only get some sleep :)

Al Willits
09-05-2006, 9:15 AM
It was hell day this weekend for me.....
Saturday I got to play in the garage both cleaning/throwing stuff away and starting on my miter saw cabinet, gonna do the doors for the first wall cabinet and this one together, and hopefully cut to correct size this time..
Sunday was golf in the AM, then off to a fabric store to pick curtains for the soon to be remodeled kitchen/dinning room.....45 minutes into this she decides its time for a menopause relapse and we leave still married...but doubtful......

Monday the wife says we're off to a fabric store again to pick new curtains for the soon to be remodeled kitchen, and we work out ground rules for a speedy trip...uh huh...sure
Three hours and a few months later we leave the fabric store with curtain material and smiling, whatever drugs she took did wonders, and me keeping my opinions to myself didn't hurt either...
A short nap and a couple hours in the garage helped my recovery from the ordeal and considering after today I have the rest of the week off....life may return to normal...

Al... who may commit suicide before he spends three hours in a fabric store again....whoa!

Mark Pruitt
09-05-2006, 9:38 AM
Turned a couple more bowls, my biggest yet (about 7" dia. x about 3" deep) and my smallest yet (about 1.75" x 1.25"). The bigger one performed a self-release procedure: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42270 ...which I think I did a pretty decent job of salvaging.

Sunday evening I figured it was time for some serious shop cleaning, as the mess was getting beyond what I can tolerate. So after scooping up as much as I could, I set a fan in the walk in door, raised the other doors and used my air compressor to give it a good blow-out.

No Holiday on Monday for me. I covered the hospital by myself, and it was an unbelievably crazy day. Didn't get any office work done, but had some challenging and rewarding experiences.

...and, we FINALLY got some much needed rain!!! The same storm which unfortunately put our SMC administrators through a serious inconvenience, graced my area with solid, steady, gentle rain for about 36 hours. I hated it that the guys over on the coast got slammed so hard, but we sure needed the rain.

Just another 80 hours or so and it'll be another weekend!:D :p

Mark

Scott Vigder
09-05-2006, 9:46 AM
Now if I could only get some sleep :)

You'll be snoring soundly in less than 12 months!

Art Mulder
09-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Went through SMC withdrawal, of course.

Oh, and I glued up two more cutting boards, and planed down the four that I now have roughed up. Two of them just need more sanding, and the other two are going to be end grain, so they need more cutting, flipping and gluing.
Hope the family appreciates their gifts come christmas time!

(oh, and we took the kids to the beach on Labour day. it was cool, but still had a good time playing on the sand and splashing a bit.)

Jim Becker
09-05-2006, 10:16 AM
I would say it was a productive weekend, shop-wise. I finished up (literally...) the tiger maple Shaker-style candle stand project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32449) and am very pleased with the result. I also started a quickie, ad-hock natural edge walnut bench project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42271) while waiting for coats of finish to dry. It's also ready for the final finishing steps as I got it oiled yesterday in-between some yard work, like mowing the grass for the first time in about a month, hauling a few trailers and buckets of mulch for the new gardener guy we found and moving some big rocks around in the new driveway landscaping with the backhoe.

'Kids returned to school this morning...the start of their first full school year. So it's second and fifth grade, new backpacks, new teachers...and hopefully a successful experiment with aftercare. And like Greg, I wish I could also get some sleep...

Bob Childress
09-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Spent the weekend slowly but surely getting the kitchen base cabinet innards back in place. Having gutted the base cabinetry as part of a minor remodel, I am replacing the insides with built-ins like sliding drawers, etc. Made a cabinet insert Saturday to hold flat items such as cookie sheets, cutting boards, dough boards, etc. Came out well. Sunday made a dual sliding shelf for the next cabinet to hold skillets and baking pans. Not too happy with the results (but it works) and will redo after getting the rest done.

LOML mowed the lawn and trimmed the bushes. Yesterday smoked a pork shoulder and "pigged out" at dinner.:D

Only 5 more cabinet openings to go.:rolleyes: Then, on to the laundry room.:eek:

Jim Hager
09-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Good to see that most of you guys had a productive weekend, so did I. I have a customer who on Tuesday brought me a list of 77 red oak raised panel doors that he had to have on Monday (yesterday) I got the material on Friday afternoon and got them started on that evening by gluing the panels together. It took two sessions but none the less I got them all glued up Friday night. He agreed to help me out in the shop to get such a large order out the door by Monday morning early. We sat in on em (or I did) at 7:00 Saturday morning. He showed up at 9:00 and we worked until 5. We had all the doors assembled when he left Saturday evening. We spent Sunday drum sanding, running edges, random orbit sanding and of course hand sanding, drilling door hinge pockets. We were done by 3:00 Sunday afternoon. That's the largest order I have ever done at one setting. He was supposed to pick them up first thing yesterday morning so his finisher could apply stain and lacquer before leaving for a 4 month hiatus but they didn't get any stain and all lumber yards and stores were closed. They are still sitting in my shop.:confused: :confused: What was the big hurry.:confused: :confused: Looks like I may get stuck with the finishing of the doors myself. Oh well, just more income.:D

Yesterday I assembled the lower carcasses for an entertainment center. It is made from oak, and is gonna be finished with gloss black lacquer then antiqued and shot the last time. I'll be posting some pics of it.

John Headley
09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Experienced first hand the reason for the SMC problems this weekend, since I live just a little north of SMC home in Hayes, Va.

Long weekend cleaning up the mess from the storm. Water was restored Sunday, power and phones on Monday. We lucked out compared to neighbors on both sides of me, who houses were flooded and lost all of their vehicles. The weather service was calling for 2 to 3 ft storm surge, ended up with the worst flooding since 1933 (according to the neighbors who are old enough to remember).

A pic of my front yard after we just moved the cars to higher ground in the back yard.

http://www.woodworking-galleries.org/pp/data/500/medium/P9010683.JPG

Pic of my small shop after the water started to recede.
http://www.woodworking-galleries.org/pp/data/500/medium/P9010684.JPG

I was going to add onto the shop this fall, now thinking of moving it to higher ground.

JayStPeter
09-05-2006, 10:33 AM
I had big plans to do some woodworking over the three day weekend. I planned to purchase the wood and get it prepped and glued to 3.5" to build a new base for my workbench. The top currently sits on a 2x4 base that isn't properly sized toi allow vice installation.

But, Ernesto had other ideas.

I still went and got a bunch of 8/4 hickory on Sat am. But, I spent the majority of the weekend dorking around with sumps in the basement. Our power had returned on Friday night just in time to avoid major disaster. But, just before that happened I realized that the backup sump pump wasn't cutting it. The other side of the basement was leaking in before it kicked on. It was a piece of junk anyway, so I'm better off not counting on it. I'll replace it with a nicer one that will kick on before the water reaches flood levels.
The storm also knocked over my grill. I was hoping it would hold out until spring, but all the rusty bits and pieces broke in the fall. So, I went and got a new Weber in for a cookout Monday. Of course, I burned everything since the grill is new :rolleyes: :cool: .

On Monday before the cookout I got to spend a little under an hour in the shop starting the wood prep process.

glenn bradley
09-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Got another coat of finish on the latest project. Sized some drawer parts for LOML's mom's kitchen pantry. Rebuilt the carcas structure on a couple kitchen cabinets that a neibor threw out during his remodel; they'll end up as spare shop cabinets on the east wall. Caught a labor day sale and ordered a hybrid saw due tomorrow. Fixed some problems with the yard sprinklers and did a pitiful job of trimming up some of the bushes and trees that have been neglected too long.

Jim O'Dell
09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I got a little woodworking in. Sat I did errands, and worked in the house and on LOML's computer. Sunday in the shop designing and building a combination blast gate/ quick relaease junction for my DC ducting to the table saw. I'll try to get some pictures of it this next weekend when I cut the oak banding to surround it with. I think it is going to work well.
Yesterday it rained all day. Man it was nice. Finished my wife''s computer upgrade to the point that I could give it back to her, and start backing up mine for its minor overhaul. Then the troubles began! Lost a DLL for windows explorer in the process, now windows won't boot, and it won't go far enough into windows to reload 98se. :confused: :confused: :confused: I do have another HD with 98 on it I can disect for the missing DLL to try to get mine back up and running. We'll see!!
All in all a good weekend. I could use another just like it! Jim.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
09-05-2006, 11:12 AM
While I have been attempting to get the Shaker Blanket Chest (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41923) done this week while on vacation my wife "talked" me into a honey do job for the basement. We are tryiing to re hab the basement and part of that is cleaning up from when I had my shop down there. I still keep my WWing library down there as I us it most in the evenings when doing my planning for future projects. Well it was on a slapdash set of boards that passed for shelves in the shop environment but didn't pass muster for the new and improved basement plan. I busted up some 1/2 inch birch plywood on Friday night:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/indymac24/Bsmt%20Bookshelves/Stackoflumber.jpg

Saturday I glued and nailed, made face frames and nailed them onto the carcasses( three units that screw together as one. Sunday after Church a quick sanding and shot it with some laquer. Here they are in place and another with the books and mags in place:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/indymac24/Bsmt%20Bookshelves/Finishedshelves.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/indymac24/Bsmt%20Bookshelves/Booksonshelves.jpg

I know I have WAY too many books and mags but a lot of it was accumulated when I was traveling for the company many days a month so I would satisfy my WWing itch by reading about it in books.

My wife is happy with the result as am I (converse of: "if mamma ain't happy ain't nobody happy")

Well thanks for looking!

Scott Coffelt
09-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Well I think I used every bit of the 3 day weekend. Saturday I prepared the lawn for fall seeding by mowing twice, verticutting, remowing, seeding, fertilizing, laid some sod in a few spots, fixed a broken sprinkler head (I thought I missed them all with said verticutter.

I also worked on laying slate tile in the mater bath (see other thread).

Fantasy football draft and dinner with my brother and his family rounded out the weekend.

Neil Lamens
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
It was 100th Year Labor Day Sailing Regatta at our sailing Club and Ernesto made his visit and put a damper on Saturdays sailing events.......unfortunately Capt Morgan showed up. Had a few laughs, heard a "fish" story or 2 then split and took the rainy day to reorganize my "extra woodworking STUFF cabinet", still didn't throw-out what I thought I might. I'll never use some of the hardware. OH well........one day.

Sunday after the storm passed, it was an absolutely magnificent day. My wife and I sailed non-spinnaker and in the first race had such a good sail -plan we picked off 3 spinnaker boats.........from that point on we were sitt'n in high cotton!!!!!

We ended up winning the Non-spin Fleet and picked up an award that Commemorated our Clubs 100year history. All in all had a wonderful weekend.

Sore as hell this morning, but with summer over and Holidays approaching, no time to whine.

Got up early this morning and just completed set-up on some Plum Pudding Mahogany in my Vac press. Played to hard this summer and am way behind.

Back to work..........Neil

Tyler Howell
09-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Well I think I used every bit of the 3 day weekend. Saturday I prepared the lawn for fall seeding by mowing twice, verticutting, remowing, seeding, fertilizing, laid some sod in a few spots, fixed a broken sprinkler head (I thought I missed them all with said verticutter.

What is Verticut:confused:

Tyler Howell
09-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I had a wonderful weekend. Turned my first object on the Abysserable (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42263)Mini Jet.:cool:
Had a date with a charming young lady. She asked me out:eek: . And them we met the next day for more fun.
Punch list is getting shorter, milled and stained some trim for the house.
Saw a couple of videos. I highly recommend Mrs. Henderson Presents. It is not for the prudish but a real hoot.
Play safe.

Don Baer
09-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Spent most of the weekend in the shop. I assempled the casework for 2 two drawer file cabinates and a 4 drawer section, all will be part of a very large desk that SWMBO has ordered. Then I made a jig to cut the tales (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42330)on the drawer assemblies on the table saw, cut the drawer material and go them ready for assembly. I also got a little turning time in, I chucked up an 11" blank on my 12" capacity Rikon (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42176):eek: and got the outside done and started hollowing out the inside. That was exciting to say the least. Church Sunday moring and Oh yea I watched the bush race and the nextel cup. All in all a great weekend.

Maurice Metzger
09-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Now, hold on - flood or no flood, I think we're going to need pictures of your shop. That's a great looking little building. Get it drained out and take some pictures! (just kidding).

Maurice

Neil Lamens
09-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Hey Tyler:

Yeah..........forgot about the video viewing......I'll check out Mrs Henderson, and recommend Find me Guilty with Vin Diesel, pretty good, funny, sad, thought provoking.... language salty at times but overal good.

Karl Laustrup
09-05-2006, 1:58 PM
Hey Dennis.

Saturday was a trip down to see Spring after a round of golf. Had a good visit with Spring but, I gotta stop going down there. Every time he costs me more money. Now I need a new saw blade. He had to show me how nice his new Forrest WWII 20 tooth blade cuts. MY OH MY!

It rained Sunday afternoon and a good part of Monday. I did get the J/D shed cleaned out/up. It should be all ready for the winter season now. And now I can get to my wood stash without moving all kinds of J/D toys. Spent part of Monday in the shop cleaning and putting things away. Trying to make some semblance of order so I might start on a couple of projects very soon.

Have a good [short week] all.

Karl

Fred Voorhees
09-05-2006, 2:23 PM
Not much time in the shop over the weekend since we headed down to Cape May,NJ for the weekend. The original intention was to give a garage/shop at my Mothers house, a fresh coat of stain. The weather shook that plan right out of the tree so my Brother Mark and I decided to brave thirty to forty mph winds and headed out to a local jetty to try for some weakfish. We brought a nice amount in and the pic below is of Mark with a sample of the size we were hooking up with. I also managed to catch my first shark and blowfish. I did sneak in a bit of shop time when we got home on Monday. An old rocking chair that had been in my wifes family had just been re-cained and recently had one of its main spindles broken at the same spot of a previous break. Needed to mend it and cross my fingers.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-05-2006, 2:37 PM
I had a very unique "Only in Tokyo" kind of day on Sunday.

My daughters are in a local choir, they sometimes have performances with other groups, well the last month they have been doing a lot of practice for an upcoming performance. My wife asked if I wanted to go, as she has to reserve tickets, that should have been my first clue to what was going on, but I missed it, then when she told me the tickets were $40 each, I made the mistake of thinking it was just to cover the costs of the hall rental and such.

Aside from that, all I knew about the performace was I have to drop the girls off at noon, and be back at 1:30 to get seats.

Well they could have told me that the performance was a full on Opera, by a professional Opera troupe. :eek:

A performace of Turandot no less!

Here I am in Tokyo, a 10 minute walk from the hall where the opera took place, we go to see an Italian Opera, about Persian and Chinese people, preformed by Japanese and Taiwanese performers, with Japanese subtitles (projected above the stage).

It was a wonderful thing to see, my kids choir group were on stage once in each act, they loved it and had a great time!

The one performer, the young lady that played the part of Ryu, was really amazing, and LOUD :eek:

During the Opera, at one point the kids are sitting on the floor maybe 8' in front of this lady, she is so loud that the kids had to be coached to NOT flinch when she was singing behind them :D I was told that during rehearsals several of the kids covered their ears as this lady is just simply LOUD.

I thought that was funny!

I ended up the day by taking the kids to Korean BBQ and then I chopped some dovetails in the Dungeon and had a bottle of French wine with the wife.

Yep, that sure was a nice day!

Cheers!

Mark Pruitt
09-05-2006, 3:01 PM
Stu, you win the multi-cultural exposure award for the weekend! :eek: Your head must have been spinning by the end!
Mark

Larry Fox
09-05-2006, 4:16 PM
More kitchen cabinet work this weekend. Wrapping up the doors. Finished all of the surface prep, cleaned the shop and got it ready for finishing (about a week or so later than I wanted). Shot first wash-coat of shellac on half of the doors. Stopped by Hearne Hardwoods on Saturday and bought a sweet piece of 8/4 tiger maple from their "shorts" pile for my next project.

Also quite a bit of family stuff.

Matt Meiser
09-05-2006, 6:36 PM
Saturday we went to Frankenmuth, MI for a meal of "world famous chicken" and for my wife and mom to do a little shopping. Sunday was yard work ALL day. Monday not too much since my ankle is still trying to recover from last weekend's sprain and the previous two days did nothing to help it. I did find my next project in the latest Popular Woodworking--the minature shaker chest for LOML's knitting stuff that's always laying on the floor in the living room.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Stu, you win the multi-cultural exposure award for the weekend! :eek: Your head must have been spinning by the end!
Mark

Especially after that bottle of wine ;) :D

Brett Baldwin
09-05-2006, 10:41 PM
I was sucked into the vortex this weekend and spent much of it off and on figuring out how to cut moving objects as evidenced here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42261 and here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42312.

Also bought an electric chainsaw that may already be dead. I knew it wasn't going to last forever but I thought I could get hours out of it at least.