PDA

View Full Version : Hillard Gerhardt - Segmented Turnings

Vaughn McMillan
09-05-2006, 3:50 AM
While in New Mexico visiting family following my mom's passing last week, I had a chance to meet a gentleman by the name of Hillard Gerhardt. Hillard is a WWII vet, and a retired building contractor (among other things). He and his wife have been church friends of my folks, and my dad has wanted me to meet Hillard for a long time. Dad and I took a trip out to Hillard's place in the mountains...got to spend some quality time together, visit with a wonderful guy and his wife, and make his day by dropping by to see his shop.

Hillard does a variety of woodworking, including scrollwork, intarsia, and woodturning. I thought I'd share a few snapshots I took of a few segmented turnings in his house.

This HF depicts the four seasons...

Obviously some Southwest influences...

This is probably Hillard's favorite piece. It's about 32" tall and 28" to 30" in diameter at the widest point. I don't recall the exact number of pieces; it's somewhere in the 7500 to 8500 piece range.

He tells a great story about blowing this piece up midway through turning it. As I recall, at that point he had been working on it for something like 17 months. He spent two days combing through the woodchips on the shop floor finding all the pieces to put them back together again.

The wall thickness throughout is about 1/2". For as big as it is, this piece is surprisingly light in weight.

His lathe is an older Delta...I don't know the model number but it had somewhat of a cabinet below the bed, and it had a lot of iron and steel in it. The rest of his shop is a collection of older, but still strong equipment (mostly Jet).

Hillard has Parkinson's disease, and in most settings his right hand is pretty shaky. Interestingly though, when he's in the shop, he's steady as a rock for the most part. It's like there's a switch that turns the shaking off when he steps into the shop. However, he tells (in a humorous way) about how "the Parkinson's" sometimes makes his hand shake from side to side, but that's OK most the time on the lathe. It's when all of a sudden it goes forward and back (which he illustrates by emulating a sword thrust) when the catches can be a problem. He loves to talk shop, and his stories were a lot of fun to listen to.

- Vaughn

BTW, my mom was ready...it was a good thing in the grand scheme of things. ;)

Ernie Kuhn
09-05-2006, 4:10 AM
Vaughn,

My sincere condolences regarding your mom's passing. Went thru similar situation some time ago, but she was also "ready". None the less, leaves an empty spot.
Again, my condolences, thoughts are with you and your dad.

Ernie

John Miliunas
09-05-2006, 9:26 AM
First and foremost, Vaughn, please accept my condolences and prayers in your Mom's passing and give my best to your Dad.

As for the segmented turnings of your new-found friend, all I can say is, "Holy patience, Batman"!!! :eek: Those are truly a work of art and display, not only beautiful form but, patience in constructing the segments beyond anything I could even dream of doing! Fantabulous!!! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Vaughn.......My sincere condolences about your Mom's passing! Words always seem to fail me at time like this!

Beautiful segmented turnings ...........I wish (1) I had the talent for such things and (2) the patience for such things!

Again.........my sincere condolences!

Don Baer
09-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Vaughn,
Regarding your mom's passing, I know what it's like. My mom passed away 2 years ago and although she was ready to go it still hurts.

The turning are nothing short of awsome, glad you and your dad got to spend some time together and see them.

Cecil Arnold
09-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Vaughn, as I learned a few years ago, our mothers may be ready, but we never are. My condolences to you and your father.

Tyler Howell
09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Vaughn, as I learned a few years ago, our mothers may be ready, but we never are. My condolences to you and your father.

What he said.
Got your back buddy

Wes Bischel
09-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Vaughn, sorry to hear about your Mom. Our prayers are with you all.

Thanks for the storys and pics from Hillard - I only hope to have some of his optimism and talent - someday.

Wes

Bob Noles
09-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Vaughn,

My condolences and prayers for your strength as well. It is always sad to hear of someone's loss.

If you need anything... We are here for you.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2006, 2:09 PM
Vaughn sorry to hear about your mom. Our prayers are with you. It is never easy. They may be ready and we may say we are ready but it just doesn't work that way. Mine is gone now 4 yrs. and I still miss her.

The turnings are beautiful Vaughn. I may later but now know I would not have the patience to work on something like that for 17 months. Anyway nice shots and sounds like a nice visit.