PDA

View Full Version : 18th Century Spice box

Don Harris
09-05-2006, 1:30 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on Sawmill Creek. It has been a few months since I finished this reproduction of an 18th Century spice box. You may notice that it looks very similar to another spice box posted by Ben Hobbs back in July. I looked at several examples of 18th Century spice boxes and chose the details I liked best. The primary wood is Cherry and poplar as secondary. I used water-soluble dye to stain and finished with shellac.

I feel it is important for me to recognize Ben Hobbs for educating me on the art of building early American furniture. He has truly taught me everything I know about building reproduction furniture. I met Ben about 3 years ago on a business trip to Hertford, NC and he has generously allowed me to use his shop while I’m in town. Ben is the best furniture maker I know and understands how to pass on his knowledge to others.

Al Killian
09-05-2006, 3:37 AM
WOW -That is amazing, did you build it from plans or from scracht? If from a plan, where can one find a copy. That would fit into my in-laws house uite well. That looks like something I would like to try at a later date.

lou sansone
09-05-2006, 7:00 AM
hi don
great piece. they are fun to build and quite challanging. can you post a picture of the front of the piece with the door open. very nice work.

best wishes here at the creek

lou

Mike Cutler
09-05-2006, 7:43 AM
Don.

First. Welcome to Sawmill Creek,pleased to meet ya'.

That's a very nice spice box. Everything looks tight, and the wood and grains are well matched. Very well done. What are the overall dimensions by the way?

It's nice that you recognize, and acknowledge Ben Hobbs in your post. Very classy.

Once again, welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Mike

Calvin Hobbs
09-05-2006, 10:08 AM
You do nice work, Don!

You did a beautiful job on the finish as well as the rest of it, too.

I know that Dad appreciates the time that you guys spend together, referring to you as his 4th son.

Cal

Dan Oliphant
09-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the creek, wonderful piece, well done.

Lori Kleinberg
09-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Very nice piece. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Outstanding piece, Don. And welcome to the posting side of the 'Creek!!

john whittaker
09-05-2006, 3:23 PM
Don, Mr. Hobbs must be a very good teacher. This is a superb piece. You did a great job. Thanks for posting and welcome to SMC.

P.S. Hertford is a great place for fishing and kayaking. I guess it also has great period woodworkers as well.

Ben Hobbs
09-05-2006, 8:57 PM
Good job, but I knew that before you posted. Looking forward to seeing you next week. Ben

Michael Pfau
09-05-2006, 9:06 PM
Outstanding Don, That spice box, is on my 'to due' list. I have seen it made out of walnut as well, but I love cherry. Good Job!

Ernie Hobbs
09-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Don:

The spice chest looks great. I like the doors with the raised panels on the outside. I look forward to you posting more pictures of the pieces you've done, since you have done some amazing work.

I have attached a few pictures of you from last winter. Also, there's an avatar if you want one on your profile.

Don Harris
09-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Al,

Thanks for the nice comments. I came up with the plans by looking at several examples and choosing the details that I liked best.

Don

Corey Hallagan
09-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Don, great looking project. These have been popular projects the last couple months. You display some fine craftsmanship!

corey

Hans Braul
09-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Don, what a great looking piece. I'm curious about a few things. How did you finish it? I really like the deep lustre. How did you cut the dovetails? Where did you get the hinges? They really enhance the piece.

Hans

Brett Baldwin
09-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Welcome Don. The word that comes to my mind looking at the finish is "rich". It already looks like it has decades of history to it. I like those pegged tenons too. Nice work.

Don Harris
09-06-2006, 1:37 AM
I would like to thank everyone for the nice comments. I would also like to answer a few questions. The overall dimensions of the box are 8" deep, 13" wide, and 20" tall. For the finish I used a dye stain and sprayed 5-6 coats of amber shellac. For the final finish I used 0000 steel wool to cut the gloss to a semi-gloss finish and then applied wax.