PDA

View Full Version : Curly Black Walnut Table--Just Finished...

Phil Winn
09-05-2006, 1:08 AM
Here is a Curly Black Walnut Table which I built a few weeks ago and just finished-natural color finished with French Polish-First time tried! If I may say so, I loved doing the French Polish; and the results are awesome! Filled the pores with the pumice, and then used Dewaxed Pale 2 lbs. Cut of Shellac. This Curly Black Walnut is beautiful with plenty of curl and figure. In the photos-(phone camera), with the reduction in size, etc., the curl doesn’t show-up- some curl can be shown in picture “4web”. I first finished it “glossy”; but then 4F pumice and then rottenstone and paraffin oil = satiny finish. I “need” to buy some more “Awesome” Curly Black Walnut….any specific suggestions where you have purchased some-and they can ship? I appreciate any suggestions! Comments on my workmanship?
Thanks,
Phil

Larry Cooke
09-05-2006, 1:27 AM
Phil, I agree with you, the finish does look awesome! I like the table very much.

Well done!

Larry

chip hamblin
09-05-2006, 1:54 AM
Phil, The rich graining and superb choices of "organic" shapes in the legs makes this table something very special indeed.

Al Killian
09-05-2006, 3:24 AM
Phil, That table looks great. Very nice style.

Norman Hitt
09-05-2006, 3:46 AM
Phil, it's beautiful, and the craftsmanship is "Excellent". The legs look like they are carved out of One solid piece. I really like the finish too.

Chris Padilla
09-05-2006, 4:16 AM
Phil,

Where in "CA" are you? I have a few chunks of curly Claro walnut.... :)

lou sansone
09-05-2006, 7:03 AM
hi phil
great looking piece and I agee with you on the french polish. Love the method. The only thing I would be worried about is the durability of the top. I have made these 3 legged candle stands and finished them with shellac. the tops get pretty beat up with hot coffee mugs and such. best wishes
lou

Matt Meiser
09-05-2006, 8:15 AM
Very cool, I'm not sure if this is what you intended, but it reminds me a a stylized shaker candle stand like Jim Becker just completed. The finish and the leg detail are very well done.

Tyler Howell
09-05-2006, 8:17 AM
Well done Phil. :cool:
It was worth the wait
BZ

Jim Becker
09-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Outstanding table, Phil!! The organic feel is wonderful, yet you can still feel the "heritage" of the piece. (nice pics for a camera phone, too...)

Phil Winn
09-05-2006, 7:41 PM
Answers:

1. French Polish Cloth—linen, cheesecloth; inside surgical gauze-find a nice MD!
2. The edge is just rounded over slightly.
3. For the legs….see my drawing…..(good luck!)..email me for questions-if needed I can draw a better picture…
4. In the beginning you use the pumice with a “tampon”; then for the final 5 coats a clean tampon.
5. The walnut is a nice rich darker color—not too dark-not too light-just perfect!
I used a spot light to light some pictures—It really is a cheap phone-no flash!
Thanks,
Phil

Randy Long
09-05-2006, 7:43 PM
That is Awsome!!

Phil Winn
09-05-2006, 7:48 PM
drawing, drawing, drawing...

Don Baer
09-05-2006, 7:55 PM
Very nice Phil, Like Jim said very Organic.

John Buzzurro
09-05-2006, 8:07 PM
Beautiful piece, Phil. Beautiful wood and workmanship. I especially like the way you did the legs. Thanks for the leg drawing.

John Shuk
09-05-2006, 8:17 PM
Wow Phil. I think everything about the table is great. I think it is a shoe in for Fine Woodworking. It really is superb and I think you are justly proud.

Charlie Plesums
09-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Beautiful job on your table, Phil.

I just had a commission that required significant quantities of curly black walnut, in wide boards, to boot. Bottom line, curly black walnut is very hard to find, and the folks who have it are very proud of it.

Claro walnut is much redder than black walnut, but (for whatever reason) is often far more curly than black walnut. I could get wood to do the commission as originally requested if we were willing to switch to claro walnut (the customer was not).

The difference in color is not huge... I had some claro in my inventory, and several times I made part of a project out of the "wrong" walnut... it wasn't obvious until I did the dry fit. (I finally sold all the claro so I wouldn't keep making that mistake). But for independent pieces, not part of an set, or not right next to each other, you may not have a problem using claro.

If you are looking for mail-order special lumber, Mike Mastin at www.curlywoods.com (http://www.curlywoods.com) is a great guy to deal with - and he will level with you if he doesn't currently have what you are looking for.

Jason Tuinstra
09-06-2006, 2:36 AM
Phil, the table looks fantastic. The design and the wood go hand in hand. The finish looks silky smooth. Nice piece.