PDA

View Full Version : Help me Choose a New Table Saw Fence

Sam Chambers
09-04-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm looking at getting a new fence for my Unisaw. It currently has a Jointech Saw Train, but I'm looking for something different. I've narrowed my search down to:

- Biesemeyer 50" Commercial
- Biesemeyer 52" Home Shop
- Vega Pro 50
- Vega U50

I see positives and negatives of both lines. Biesemeyer has the simplest (and most often copied) design, and most seem to consider its steel construction "bullet-proof". Service and parts wouldn't be a problem.

Vega has a different take. Aluminum tube rather than steel, and a round rail instrad of rectangular. I like the micro-adjust, since I've grown accustomed to having that feature on my Jointech. It's significantly less expensive than the Biesemeyers, but harder to find.

The May 2004 issue of Wood magazine reviewed the "home shop" versions of 14 different fences. They rated the 52" Biesemeyer Home Shop "Top Tool", and the Vega U50 "Top Value", with test results comparable to the Biesemeyer. So, it sounds like they're both fine systems.

So, are there any of you who have used both Biesemeyer and Vega fences? How do they compare? What did you love/hate about each.

While we're at it, is there anyplace on-line other than Amazon that carries these? Rockler sells the Vega U50, but not the Pro 50, and neither of the Biesemeyers.

scott spencer
09-05-2006, 5:29 AM
I've owned two Biese fences, and had a Vega in the shop for a few weeks on a refurb project. I like both alot and could live with both very easily. There are pros and cons to each. The Biese is the more robust of those two, and I think it's easier to align. The Vega has an excellent microadjust feature, is bit simpler to install, and is typically less expensive. I'd pick the Biese over the Vega if given a choice....it's mostly just a matter of preference, but I like the ruggedness, feel, and even the look of the Biese better.

Maurice Ungaro
09-05-2006, 8:20 AM
Sam,
Go back to Redmond's and see if they still have anymore scratch & dent Beismeyers sitting around. I bought the smaller commercial rail system for $225 a couple of years ago from them.

Tyler Howell
09-05-2006, 8:51 AM
Bies is A#1 in my book. Good stuff

Art Davis
09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
The Biesemeyer is a great fence---but what that Wood review doesn't say is that quality control and tech support is not what it should be. My 50" commercial was supposed to mount without drilling to my Delta contractors. It didn't, and after several sessions with tech support(?), they basically gave up. They had even sent me a new front rail, which didn't work either. Then they speculated that my particular saw was one of a "run" constructed in Mexico and that the holes on my saw hadn't been lined up properly. Finally had to drill. Then had problems with the adjustment set screws. A touch one way and the fence flopped around loosely; a touch the other way and it locked up so tightly it wouldn't slide. Finally found out that the set screws had been painted white like the tee square head (I'm talking about the threaded part!). Cleaned them up and, since then, I've been really happy. So, yes, the Bies is a great fence, but life isn't always quite what the hype types in those ww mag reviews puff it to be.

Good luck with your decision.

Art

Mike Weaver
09-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm looking at getting a new fence for my Unisaw. It currently has a Jointech Saw Train, but I'm looking for something different.

Sam - I'm just curious, why the desire to switch out the Jointech?

-Mike
Who doesn't even own one decent fence yet. :eek:

Keith Beck
09-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Sam,

See my response at: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42280

Keith

Jim Becker
09-05-2006, 4:12 PM
Of your list...the Biesemeyer Commercial would be my choice. But if I were replacing my Biesemeyer style fence on my Jet saw (Xacta Fence), I'd be seriously considering returning to the UniFence. I really loved it on my previous saw.

That said, I have used the Vega (on a friend/coworker's saw) and it's a fine fence with some unique features.

Sam Chambers
09-05-2006, 5:09 PM
Sam - I'm just curious, why the desire to switch out the Jointech?

Mike, the Jointech is a very precise system, and I love it for my router table (located in the left hand wing of my Unisaw). But, as with many highly accurate tools, the setup is quite fussy. I've decided to go with a simpler design this time and see if that fits my working style better.

Sam Chambers
09-05-2006, 5:18 PM
Sam,

See my response at: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42280

KeithKeith brought up an interesting question in the other thread that you guys who've used the Vega might be able to answer. How easy (or difficult) is it to mount a right-hand extension table to the Vega system? How about an outfeed table? I don't really know what that rear rail looks like, so I can't say.

Bill Esposito
09-05-2006, 5:31 PM
Keith brought up an interesting question in the other thread that you guys who've used the Vega might be able to answer. How easy (or difficult) is it to mount a right-hand extension table to the Vega system? How about an outfeed table? I don't really know what that rear rail looks like, so I can't say.
Sam,

The rear rail is a square tube. The Vega is definately a chinch to install. This write-up (cerealport.net/woodworking/vegafence.html) includes some pics of the right side wing being fabricated and attachment of a table to the rear.

HTH and feel free to ask any questions. I no longer have the fence but have a pretty good memory :)

Bill

Sam Chambers
09-05-2006, 6:10 PM
The rear rail is a square tube. The Vega is definately a chinch to install. This write-up (cerealport.net/woodworking/vegafence.html) includes some pics of the right side wing being fabricated and attachment of a table to the rear.Bill...

Thanks a bunch! Pictures really are worth a thousand words, and your excellent writeup answered a number of questions. One more, though - You said you removed and relocated one of the pads to mount the outfeed table. How are the pads attached to the rear rail? Screws? Bolts? Welded? Chewing gum? :p

Bill Esposito
09-05-2006, 6:16 PM
Sure, ask me something I don't remember. My guess is that there were threaded holes in the rear rail since those pads were designed to hold up a right side table.

Keith Beck
09-05-2006, 6:19 PM
Sam,

I'm only stupid some of the time. I actually have the Vega U26, not the U50. I don't know what I was thinking. Reading Bill's post made me realize which fence I do have. Although, even with the U26, the tubular rail sticks past the right wing of the saw by 15-16" so there's room for a small extension table or router table on the right. But, the U26 doesn't come made to hold up an extension table like the U50 does. So that's what I need to figure out. I suppose I could try drilling and tapping a hole and making my own plate, but that scares me.

Sorry if I've confused the matter...

Keith

tod evans
09-05-2006, 6:24 PM
sam, i`ve owned both the vega pro and the bies. pro and i`ll take a bies. any day over the vega, in fact i`ll never even think about owning another vega fence as long as i live! they have a little brass wear strip that the cam rides on for locking the fence.....this wonderfull invention cost me several hundred dollars in wasted sheetgoods before i chucked the whole fence and bought a bies., problem was the fence sliding during cuts. vega service said the wear strip needed replaced (2-months old) and sent another piece of bent brass that also slipped on the rail.......the cherry ply was my tough luck......02 tod

Jim W. White
09-05-2006, 6:30 PM
I've had a Vega U26 for several years now. It is a great fence.

While I really like the beyes... one think that I really like about the Vega is that it is really light in comparison. Taking it on/off and hanging it on the wall when not in use is a peice of cake. ...and while it is "light", I think it manages to avoid being a "light-weight". It has held up well for me under what I would call "heavy hobbiest" usage. :D

I don't think you could go worong with either choice, though.

Gary Keedwell
09-05-2006, 6:30 PM
I have the Bies. and am very happy with it. I went from the bottom shelf Delta table saw to a Unisaw about 11 years ago. I occasionally run the indicator up and down the fence and every time it lines up perfect. That was eleven years ago AND yesterday!!!!

Gary K.

Bill Esposito
09-05-2006, 6:43 PM
sam, i`ve owned both the vega pro and the bies. pro and i`ll take a bies. any day over the vega, in fact i`ll never even think about owning another vega fence as long as i live! they have a little brass wear strip that the cam rides on for locking the fence.....this wonderfull invention cost me several hundred dollars in wasted sheetgoods before i chucked the whole fence and bought a bies., problem was the fence sliding during cuts. vega service said the wear strip needed replaced (2-months old) and sent another piece of bent brass that also slipped on the rail.......the cherry ply was my tough luck......02 tod
Tod,

I had the same problem when I first got mine but the problem isn't/wasn't the brass strip, it's the cam on the handle. When delivered sometimes the cam has what looks like paint over spray but it is really hard. This material prevents the cam from applying even pressure on the strip and from traveling far enough to apply enough force. If you remove the brass strip and polish the cam with some fine sandpaper you'll get at least another inch of travel on the handle and the fence will be rock solid. Vega told me it was the brass strip as well but I didn't believe them...and I was right :)

tod evans
09-05-2006, 6:45 PM
Tod,

I had the same problem when I first got mine but the problem isn't/wasn't the brass strip, it's the cam on the handle. When delivered sometimes the cam has what looks like paint over spray but it is really hard. This material prevents the cam from applying even pressure on the strip and from traveling far enough to apply enough force. If you remove the brass strip and polish the cam with some fine sandpaper you'll get at least another inch of travel on the handle and the fence will be rock solid. Vega told me it was the brass strip as well but I didn't believe them...and I was right :)

bill, my experience with vega was years ago...and needless to say i`m soured on their fences. glad you where able to make yours work...tod

Danny Buie
09-05-2006, 7:10 PM
Sam,
I have both a home shop (16 yrs) and a commercial (1 yr) Biesmeyer. No problems with either. For hobby usage the home shop is plenty of fence. The comercial is just built a little larger and of heavier stuff. I would go for the best deal. Sometimes the Biesmeyer website has closeout/scratchndent.
http://www.biesemeyer.com/specials/index.htm
There is no guarntee that what you want will be there. If you are in no hurry this ccould be an option. The fence and rails are sold seperatelly. Watch out for the freight charges because it can be a deal breaker.

Danny Buie
Baton Rouge

Sam Chambers
09-05-2006, 7:22 PM
Guys, thanks for all the great info so far. I think Tod is the only one I've heard of so far (both here and elsewhere) who's had a major beef about either fence.

Amazon is running some cool specials right now, but they don't carry all the fence systems I'm interested in. For example, they carry the Vega U50, but not the Pro 50; and they carry the Commercial Biesemeyer 50", but not the Home Shop 52". And neither of the systems they show as being "available" are in stock.

After the discounts, I can get the Biesemeyer Commercial 50" for $264.99 before tax, with free shipping. Or I can get the Vega U50 for $199.72 pre-tax, free shipping. I really wish there was someplace I could go locally to try them both in person before making a decision, but there isn't one, as far as I know.

I still haven't made up my mind yet, so by all means keep the replies coming! (Gotta love this place!)

Tony Falotico
09-05-2006, 8:01 PM
Sam, I got a used 52" Biesmeyer that's just taking up space if your interested in used........ Tried to PM you but your box is full, PM or e-mail if interested

Sam Chambers
09-05-2006, 8:06 PM
Tony:

Sorry about that. I'm sending a PM now.

Sam Chambers
09-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Well, I made a decision and placed my order for a....

Biesemeyer Commercial 50"!

The only thing I think I'll miss by choosing this over the Vega is the micro-adjust. I might try out Rockler's little doodad and see if that will work for me.

After applying all the discounts, and a spare $25 certificate that SWMBO had lying around, I'm getting it for $240, delivered. That was by far the best deal I could find. Unfortunately, it's on back-order right now.

When it arrives, I'll be sure to post a very photo-laden gloat! :D

Thanks again for all the great info, folks.

Tony Falotico
09-06-2006, 5:35 AM
Good choice Sam......... congrat's!

Tony