PDA

View Full Version : Shop Wall Organizer

Jerry Todd
10-07-2003, 9:30 PM
Discovered "Slat Board" at the local "big box" store. New to me although it has probably been around for some time. Anyway it is better than the old pegboard for storing tool accessories in the workshop. It comes in 4'X8' sheets but as you can see by the picture I cut it into two pieces. Hope to start on the shop cabinets soon and then the shop will be finished.
Thanks for looking,
Jerry

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-07-2003, 9:53 PM
Jerry, the Slat Board is really nice isn't it? Great clean look, and it will hold weight like you wouldn't believe. We just installed an entire wall of it at the College, in the Funeral Services Program Classroom/Lab. They are using it for the samples of Caskets and Vaults that are actually mini versions of the real thing. The Burial Vaults weigh about 80 lbs. each, and they have a bunch of them on the Slat Board, and it holds them just fine. Of course, we rebuilt the wall with metal studs 16" o.c., and overlayed 3/4" plywood screwed and bonded to the studs. The Slat Board was then screwed to the Plywood Wall using the screws that were provided with the board, and also glued with Liquid Nails. You could hook a truck to that wall, and it ain't going nowhere! Really an innovative storage system, and it looks good to boot. Great idea, and it sure makes you already nice shop look very professional. Thanks for sharing the picture! :D

David LaRue
10-07-2003, 9:53 PM
Great looking shop! Which big box had it? I'v havn't seen it here at HD.

Dave

Tony Falotico
10-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Looking good Jerry, which "big box", I need to slip down your way and get some for my new shop.

Tony.

Jim Young
10-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Jerry, That shop is in a serious need for some filth. You know, the stuff that is supposed to clutter up the place.

Nice shop

Anthony Yakonick
10-07-2003, 10:53 PM
That tablesaw would be a great place to store your turning tools!

Mike Mastin
10-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Man,

I wish that my house was this clean :-)

Ken Frantz
10-08-2003, 10:28 AM
My brother has a bookstore and has slatwall between the bookshelves I built for him. They look great, but in a wood shop I am just wondering if the slats will (they will) catch more dust etc that the pegboard??? Would this be a problem??? a lots harder to keep "clean"

KEN

chris toomey
10-08-2003, 10:41 AM
boy that is slick. whats a 4x8 sheet go for? can you put that up over bare studs? how much do the hangers go for? looks like a great system for the shop.

Dan Stuewe
10-08-2003, 12:11 PM
The Home Depot near me has carried this stuff for quite awhile. I'm just too cheap to buy it. I don't remember the cost per sheet, but it is more than peg board and I think the accessories are pretty pricey too.

I am curious about Ken's comment about trapping dust.

Jerry Todd
10-08-2003, 12:43 PM
My brother has a bookstore and has slatwall between the bookshelves I built for him. They look great, but in a wood shop I am just wondering if the slats will (they will) catch more dust etc that the pegboard??? Would this be a problem??? a lots harder to keep "clean"

KEN
Don't think it will be a problem. Every tool in the shop (except for drill press & router) is hooked up to a WoodSucker Cyclone. Time will tell. Ask me again in a month as I hope to have my shop cabinets finished by then.
Jerry

Ken Frantz
10-08-2003, 2:38 PM
Ken again!!!

Yupper!!! those fixtures for the slat wall are not cheep, infact the slat wall at my Bro's store was about $60-$80 per sheet. Plywood grade is more yet!!!

Also the big disadvantage is that you can't "hang" anything close in the vertical like you can on pegboard.

In my shop (when it gets completed) there are no stud walls to hang pegboard or slatwall. Its a metal building.

Here are a couple of ideas that I am mulling about:

1) build 2 X 4 "walls" and cover both sides with pegboard and put the walls in a "T" or |---| or an "X" formation so they will be free standing and could be moved around if need be.

2) build one double sided wall 4 ft wide X 8 tall and two 2 ft X 8 ft and build these in an "X" formation and attach these to a platform on heavy duty casters then it could be move to where you need it easly.

KEN