PDA

View Full Version : Planers and things I have learned.

Jeff Horton
09-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Man, I had NO IDEA there was so much to setting up a planner! I am about to go through mine for the third time. I guess I am really not on my third set-up as much as I am working the bugs out of the thing. While I think most anyone could restore a Unisaw if they have moderate mechanical skills, I have to say if you not pretty mechanical inclined you might not want to tackle a planer.

Here are some lessons I have learned:

LESSON No. 1 Gears that were not properly installed and that have play in them will allow one side of the table to move before the other side does.
One time the left side was high and then the right side would be high. Took a while to find that one and get it all adjusted out. Now the table position is repeatable within .003.

LESSON No 2 always remember to TIGHTEN the sets screws when you done. Snug doesn't work.

LESSON No 3. Gibbs need to be very snug, but not tight. That was minor but when your dealing with these measurements it was causing some inconsistency. The only way to see it was with the dial indicator. Because you couldn't see any movement in the table but it was there!

LESSON No. 4 Remember that once you re-level the table with the cutter head to recheck everything else! (See Lesson No. 2)

LESSON No. 5 If your feeder rollers are not level with the table which is level with the cutter head your stock will try to creep to one side as it feeds through. (see Lesson No. 4)

LESSON No. 6 Make sure that your pressure bar moves freely up and down and doesn't bind.

LESSON No. 7 Double check everything before moving on the next step. (See Lessons 2 and 4)

Don't ask me how I learned this. :p

Brett Baldwin
09-05-2006, 12:23 AM
So you're basically saying it was a cake-walk huh? Well knowing how everything works can only help you get better results in the end. Thanks for sharing.

Tyler Howell
09-05-2006, 9:04 AM
Was shocked with both DW735 and DJ20:eek:
Plug and play:D :D,
Now the old Cman, that was a different story. Every use, sometimes every pass adjust something.

Al Willits
09-05-2006, 9:29 AM
Did ya get a chance to look at this video, good stuff for both a planer and jointer.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39513&highlight=video

I have my jointer close to where I want it, put the planer still has a few things I need to check, kinda the never ending battle...:)

Al

John Downey
09-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Howdy Jeff,

I've got that same planer, though no where near as pretty! I've had that same problem with the table gearing too. Still, try tuning up some of the clones of that design. One Bridgewood I worked on had no mechanism for tightening some of the belts (had to roll them off the pulleys- terrible for the belts). The pressure bar was essentially fixed where it was adjusted too, so it could be set to take a light cut or to hog material off, but not both! It also could hit the knives if adjusted too tight. Terrible.

I love that little Powermatic though. Nice and heavy, yet convenient for mobility in a small shop.

John

Dean Geraci
09-06-2006, 2:34 PM
I'm shoping for my first planer. I checked around and think I've narrowed it down to two; the Makita 2012 12" or the Delta 22580 13". The Delta is $120 cheaper but the Makita user comments are 100% glowing. The Delta on the other hand has some pimples. Any comments, I'd be grateful.