PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Model 10 - Contractors Saw

Tom Grice
09-04-2006, 10:25 PM
I am a newer woodworker, and have been looking for a good used contractor's saw on craigslist, here, local classifieds, etc.

I'm looking for a good basic saw, with good accuracy and repeatability. At some point, I may look at a newer contractor saw or hybrid - but right now I am looking for something a little less pricy.

I see a lot of Rockwell Model 10 saws coming up for sale locally (a couple are listed right now) - and I was hoping someone here has some experience with them and can let me know the good and bad points about them - and what a good price for one of these saws might be. One of the saws has a Shop Fox fence and looks brand new, the other looks stock and is is questionable shape (rusty table, etc). I have yet to check out either saw in person - wanted to see what opinions here were first.

Thanks for the help!

Bruce Wrenn
09-04-2006, 10:48 PM
I inherited a model 10. It has solid CI wings ( not stamped steel). The assembly inside cabinet is a single casting, no round steel tie bars. It is a sweet saw. Only major problem is switch location-What were they thinking? But doesn't matter as I will add a low voltage magnetic switch. Delta probably changed to tie bars as they are cheaper to make. I have to choose, get rid of current contractors, or keep model 10. Currently local craiglist has one for $75. Worth that to get CI wings alone. Rusty top can be a bargining point. Fence would't scare me either as often see Uni fences for $150 on the list. I just make my own Bies. clones though.

Jeff Cybulski
09-05-2006, 10:31 PM
I've had a Model 10 for about 6 years ( traded a Pro-Tech bench top for it). It's the predeceser to today's Delta contractor saw but built better - more cast and less stamped steel. I've added a 50" Jet Xacta and a link belt. I run mine on 220v and have no problems unless I'm into some 6/4. Definite buy

Jeff

Tom Grice
09-09-2006, 3:02 PM
Thanks for you input guys!

I ended up buying the saw today - turns out the official model number for the saw is 34-410. I paid $124 - it was an auction and I'm not sure if it was a good or bad deal but it seemed fair enough.

So far, its run very well. Still need to do a bit of tuning though and clean up the CI tops.

Mike Hill
09-09-2006, 5:13 PM
Tom: I have a cabinet saw these days, but I have seen contractor saws with out feed tables, sliding tables etc. which makes them very versatile and competitive with the larger cabinet saws. It seems to me that how well the saw is set up for accurate cuts is more important than price. But! If I win the Lotto here in Texas, I am getting myself a Saw Stop :)
Mike