PDA

View Full Version : New England trip

Peter Pedisich
09-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Just got back from a scenic road trip with my wife and son (3yo) through Cape Ann (Salem/Gloucester/Rockport) and then up to Portland, Maine for a couple of days and was given permission to spend some time in woodworking stores!
I browsed the Rockler in Portland, Maine and the Woodcraft in Woburn, Ma.

This may not seem exciting to most but since we have no dedicated WW stores here on Long Island it's a big deal to me, like a kid in a candy store.

To all you folks who live in New England, I envy you! At least through October!:eek:
New England (at least the parts I saw) looks to be a beautiful place to live.

Joe Jansen
09-05-2006, 7:47 AM
Peter
I grew up on Long Island and my family still lives there and I always find it amazing that there is no dedicated wood stores in that market. There used to be a woodworkers suply in New hyde park but thats it. I think there is only one woodcreft in New york state in Rochester, the one in albany closed.

Joe

Mike Cutler
09-05-2006, 7:56 AM
Peter.

The Woodcrafts are nice stores. I have two within 45 minutes of the house. One in RI. and one in Manchester Ct. They are kinda fun to just walk around in, aren't they. It's odd that LI has no stores like those. There has to be more than enough people to support the business. Strange.

Sounds like you had a nice trip. Did you get anything at Woodcraft, or Rockler?

Peter Pedisich
09-05-2006, 9:50 PM
Joe & Mike,

Yeah, plenty of people here (too plenty!) but after ww warehouse closed we have to make do with local tool stores geared towards professional tradesmen and not specificaly woodworkers.

At the Rockler in Portland, Maine I picked up a handle for a homemade coping sled I'm making for my router table.

Pete

Tim Morton
09-05-2006, 9:59 PM
New England is a great place to live...but SHHHHHHHHH....we are trying to keep it a secret.:eek: Portland is a nice city...did you get a chance to check out the donut shop?:cool:

And as for living here past october...give me some cold and snow anyday compared to hurricanes and wild fires.

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2006, 10:55 PM
We had flurries this morning. Bring it on!

John Callahan
09-06-2006, 8:37 AM
If you get to Portland again, head north out of Portland, and get on US 1. In Woolwich there's the Shelter Institute/ Woodbutcher Tools. Excellent selection of handtools and if you're interested in building your own timberframe building, it's the right place to be. A little farther north is the Lie Nielsen factory showroom. 10% off and you can try their tools in the showroom.

Bill Esposito
09-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately I'm a couple of hours to the closest Woodcraft or Rockler. And NE is a great place to live....if only I could find someone else to pay for my heating oil.

Glenn Clabo
09-06-2006, 10:14 AM
The best day of the year for me is when I put the lawnmower in the shed for the last time...and pull out the snowthrower...then I get to go down to the shop instead of taking care of the yard.