PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is worth posting but its a safety thing so maybe it is.

Tim Morton
09-04-2006, 8:32 PM
This morning as I was pulling out the oven racks in preperation of making a prime rib roast in the oven I noticed some burnt stuff under the heating element (maybe from a pie or something) and I took a rag and wiped some of it away and must have bumped the heating element or something with the rag. I noticed nothing unusual. So I put the rack back in and went to preheat the oven, and i noticed the thing was dead....no clock no burners nada. Went down and noticed the breaker had tripped but it would not let me reset it.:mad: So I pulled the stove out from the wall and unplugged it....and now I could reset the breaker. Confused and noticing the wife was already researching double ovens and gas stoves:eek: :eek: I decided to pull the back panel off the stove and see whats doing. I noticed two pretty scary things on this 5 year old maytag stove...first the oven burner element terminates on both sides to a thin metal tab whihc has a bare metal slide-on for a wire connector and this is positioned thru a cutout in the metal frame of the stove. When I bumped the heating element during cleaning it touched the side of the hole and tripped the fuse and since it was sort of welded to the side it would not let me reset it with the stove plugged in. My question here is had I accidently moved this element with my hand and had the element touched the side of the hole while I was touching it would I have recieved a 220v jolt this morning?:eek:

The other safty concern had to do with the oven light recepticle...it was completly charred due to it being wrapped in fiberglass insulation...the insulation burned pretty bad as did the side of the recepticle...i am assuming t his was the cause of the burned out bulb..which I will not be replacing any time soon....

All day i have been thinking about this...and I will be writing to maytag...and going into see the dealer where I bought the stove tomorrow.

Mark Rios
09-05-2006, 1:12 AM
Come on Tim.........so does she get a new stove or not?????????????????????

Cooommmeee ooonnnn....I NEED to know.......................

Glad you're both okay and not crispy fried. Keep us updated.

Tim Morton
09-05-2006, 7:17 AM
Come on Tim.........so does she get a new stove or not?????????????????????

Cooommmeee ooonnnn....I NEED to know.......................

Glad you're both okay and not crispy fried. Keep us updated.

no she does NOT:)

Sorry ...I was not clear huh? by simply moving the slide-on wire connection away from the metal( to what is the original position) of the frame I was able to rest the breaker and cook an amazing prime rib.

Tyler Howell
09-05-2006, 8:29 AM
220 in the morning:eek: . That'll wake you up.
A lot of these things are built pretty light duty these days.
Glad your safe.
Go on give her a new stove.
Good carma when you need a toyl.;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-05-2006, 5:30 PM
Dunno wot to tell ya 'bout a EEElektrikl stove

My next stove is going to be a Brass Castle. They are the only manufacturer of Gas ranges and ovens that produces a true Commercial unit that is insulated for residential installation.

I have had and/or used top of the line:
Thermador
Kirchen Aid
Maytag
GE
They have all been awful. The computers screw up. If there is something that can go wrong it will and they do not produce enough heat to cook properly.

I will never buy a stove that has a computer or fancy schmancy infared control sensors that see the heat of my finger to run the controls.

I'd look at Viking or Wolfe if they had any units that produced enough heat. But they don't .

Tim Morton
09-05-2006, 6:24 PM
220 in the morning:eek: . That'll wake you up.
A lot of these things are built pretty light duty these days.
Glad your safe.
Go on give her a new stove.
Good carma when you need a toyl.;)

we are going to be getting a new stove...just not sure which kind yet...pellet or wood:) I have to get off the oil grid somehow....its insane!!!

Joe Mioux
09-05-2006, 8:07 PM
Well...... while this thread is going.........

Our Amana gas stove and oven is awful!

I swear it leaks natural gas, had Ameren-UE guys out tested the whole house they found nothing.

It takes forever for the oven to get up to proper temp, the exhaust fan for the stove is horrible because it sucks the flame to the exhaust which causes stove top cooking not to cook correctly.......

I could go on but I need to pick up a kid from soccer practice.

Joe

Jim Becker
09-05-2006, 9:58 PM
My next stove is going to be a Brass Castle. They are the only manufacturer of Gas ranges and ovens that produces a true Commercial unit that is insulated for residential installation.

DCS (http://www.dcsappliances.com/index_flash.php)'s residential ranges come darn close to their commercial offerings... ;) I love mine!