PDA

View Full Version : MinMax T50 Shaper Parts

Bill Webber
09-04-2006, 8:05 PM
I actually had some time to play with some tools I bought a long, long time ago this weekend. Well, I didn't actually make anything, but I got to unwrap some of the accessories I bought. I bought the router spindle. OK, looks normal enough. I didn't expect it to be sized to take 1 1/4 inch shaper cutters, but that's a good thing. I figure the nut is used as shown in the picture and used only for counterclockwise cutting to keep the nut tight, right? So what is the extra nut for? or did I just get an extra?

I also found this plastic piece. Anyone know what it is for? Could be a shipping thingy for all I know.

Sorry about the pics. I don't have software to rotate or brighten the pics on this laptop...

Thanks, Bill W.

Paul B. Cresti
09-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Bill,
Nice to see you are finally getting around to using those great tools :) . BUT WAIT ONE SECOND!!!!!!!!!! THAT SPINDLE THAT YOU ARE SHOWING IS A ROUTER BIT SPINDLE!!!!! NO SHAPER CUTTERS GO IN OR SPACERS!!!!! As long as it is the same spindle I have (I have the router, 1-1/4" & 3/4") The first picture you show is the correct way to use the router bit in it. In order to use shaper cutters in your OTHER spindles use the spacers (appropriate diam for the spindle you are using) then place the CAP NUT (NOT SHOW IN ANY OF YOUR PICTURES) and then secure the whole thing with the threaded bolt down into the top of the spindle. When you place the spacers make sure you fill in all the gaps (I like to have the cutter as high on the spindle as possible) and then place the cap nut and tighten so there is ABSOLUTELY NO PLAY. Otherwise your cutter will spin on the shaft and could very well fuse itself to it....I heard of someone doing that on "another green forum" ;)