PDA

View Full Version : Shop made Jig for joining drawers

Don Baer
09-04-2006, 7:18 PM
I have completed the casework for a desk I am making for LOML and needed to start on the drawers. The drawer will be 1/2" baltic birch and I will be making 8 drawers, four for file cabinates and four will be general purpose drawers. I was figureing how I wanted to join the drawer parts together and since I am working out of a temp shop I need to do something that was fast yet looked good and strong. I came up with this little sled. It is made from some scrap white OAK and Baltic Birch. The runners and the sled are While OAK and the fence is baltic Birch. The Key is also 1/2" square OAK. The Key is 1/2" from the edge of the Dado blade.
It simple to use, I installed my Dado blade and set the depth and width to 1/2"

To use it you set the first piece on the table next to the key against the fence. Slide the sled forward and cut the first slot. Move the piece over the key and continue until all of the slots are done. For the mating piece just use a piece of 1/2" scrap to offset the piece from the key for the first cut, postion the piece over the the key and continue as above.

Now I guess I'd better get done cutting these up so I can get them sanded and ready for glue up.

Mike Cutler
09-04-2006, 7:34 PM
Nice jig Don. The drawers should look great. They look like a bunch of honey supers just sitting on the table like that right now. Sure you wouldn't like to fill them bees instead.:D :D ;)

Sorry. I just came from checking some of my hives.;) Be sure to post pics of the completed desk when you get a chance.

Corey Hallagan
09-04-2006, 8:32 PM
Nice work Don, looks like that jig did the trick!!

corey