PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in ceiling

Joe Tonich
10-07-2003, 8:46 PM
I have a crack in my ceiling that I need to repair. It's not drywall but that "gray" sheetrock if it matters. I've used Spackel but it just comes back. Taping it really isn't an option as I'm not that good at it and I know it would stand out like a sore thumb. Is caulking a solution? I was thinking of using a rubberized caulk that would move with it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Ken Garlock
10-07-2003, 8:59 PM
Hi Joe.

From what you said, I would find the ceiling joists and run some drywall screws through the sheetrock and into the joists. I suspect that the sheetrock is loose and drooping thus causing the crack to reopen. Putting some screws in the ceiling should pull the sheetrock back into position. If you have made several patches on the crack, you may have to remove some of the spackling in the crack before you run the screws in. I think I would dig out the crack, run in the screws, fill the screw holes and crack with drywall compound.

This is all based upon having never seen the crack or the ceiling.

Free advice is worth what you paid. ;)

Joe Tonich
10-07-2003, 9:31 PM
Hi Joe.

From what you said, I would find the ceiling joists and run some drywall screws through the sheetrock and into the joists. I suspect that the sheetrock is loose and drooping thus causing the crack to reopen. Putting some screws in the ceiling should pull the sheetrock back into position. If you have made several patches on the crack, you may have to remove some of the spackling in the crack before you run the screws in. I think I would dig out the crack, run in the screws, fill the screw holes and crack with drywall compound.

This is all based upon having never seen the crack or the ceiling.

Free advice is worth what you paid. ;)

Thanks Ken,

Didn't think of posting pic's. The crack is between the dining room & living room.

Joe

Tony Falotico
10-07-2003, 9:51 PM
Joe, Just a wild guess, but are we seeing a joint (2 sheets of wallboard) that are not backed by a joist? Any vibration caused by air flow, movement or settlement could be causing the crack as each sheet vibrates independently.

This is a WAG, as opposed to a SWAG (scientific wild $#@ guess).

Tony.

Todd Burch
10-07-2003, 10:22 PM
The sheetock is running lengthwise perpendicular to the crack. From the angle of the pic, I can't tell if the crack extends from the wall on the right side or not. If it does, one cause could be that the ends of the sheetrock were not staggered 1/2 a sheet.

Also, since the sheetrock is running lengthwise (to the crack), the ceiling joists are most likely perpendicular to the sheets, or parallel with the crack. As Ken suggested, I would add more screws at the crack. If you can look at the crack from above (if there is an attic), you could get a better visual. If you needed more lumber for the joints, you could easily lay down some 1X's across the seam and screw from below and patch for the last time.

If you can't get above it to see, feel of the ceiling to make sure that it's not wet from a leak and the weight of the water is not causing it to move. If the attic, have you added any more insulation recently?

Any cracks in the floor? Any cracks along the wall outside (if a slab foundation)? Got a water level? If so, run a few spot checks on the ground floor. Any vertical corner sheetrock seams puckering? Any doors sticking?

Todd.

Joe Tonich
10-09-2003, 8:20 AM
Thanks!

I'll have to pull up the flooring in the attic to find the joists to screw it back up. Hope that works.

Thanks again,

Joe