PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations...

Bryan Desjardins
09-04-2006, 5:20 PM
Hi there,

this is my first post here. I was wondering if someone could recommend a wood to use to build a radiator cover. I'm thinking poplar would be fine, but I'm keeping my options open.

Thanks,
BDD

Jim O'Dell
09-04-2006, 5:37 PM
Bryan, sorry but we don't do radiator covers in Texas. :eek: :D :D I'm sure one of the more northern creekers will pipe in shortly with a good answer. But in the mean time, let me be the first to welcome you to the Creek! I know you'll find this a very friendly and helpful place. Jim.

lou sansone
09-04-2006, 5:41 PM
hi bryan
welcome to the creek.

are you going to paint the cover? if so poplar is pretty good with paint.

lou

Lou Morrissette
09-04-2006, 6:20 PM
Bryan,
Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and lots to learn. I agree with Lou. Poplar takes paint very well. If you were to stain it, I'd consider something else like maple or birch.

Lou

Mike Cutler
09-04-2006, 7:29 PM
Bryan.

Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Pleased to meet ya'.

Not sure what a radiator cover is, but as long as it's decorative, and doesn't get hot just about any wood should do. As mentioned, poplar takes paint really well.

Once again. Welcome to Sawmill Creek, and nice meeting ya'

Mike.

John Shuk
09-04-2006, 7:59 PM
You might want to go to a site that sell radiator covers and see if it lists what they are made from. You also might want to make sure you aren't going to throw the heating ability of with a cover.

Alan Turner
09-04-2006, 8:12 PM
Welcome, Bryan. My house was built in the 20's, and the radiator covers are of poplar, and are without problems. Good choice.

Brad Townsend
09-04-2006, 9:36 PM
The other day on Ask This Old House, Tom Silva made one out of MDF. It was painted of course. He pointed out that MDF had a couple of advantages over wood in that it was cheaper, and the joints were easy because end grain was not a problem. For the front, he used some decorative sheet metal screen that he found in Home Depot. The show was a rerun and shown at the whim of a local PBS affiliate, so no telling when in might be on again in your area.

Al Willits
09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Ya don't have listed where your from, but here in Minn we find covers will indeed restrick the air flow arcross the radiator, I'm assuming these are the old cast iron style.
Most boilers are set with a 180 degree limit, so I doubt you'll see temps higher than that, not sure what wood will work, but I'd keep air flow in mind.

Al

Bryan Desjardins
09-05-2006, 8:20 PM
so the radiators will be spewing heat in about 8 weeks or so. I was going to buy from a manufacturer online, but I decided to give it a go myself. I made a workbench recently, and that came out Ok, so I'm getting brave.

Thanks for the responses.

BDD

Bryan Rocker
09-05-2006, 8:37 PM
Bryan Welcome to the best place for good honest help. I don't have help to provide other than you must be a smart bloke, your name is spelled with a "Y" :D

Mark Riegsecker
09-05-2006, 8:50 PM
Welcome Bryan.

I can't help with your ? There's far better opinions than mine here at the Creek.

However, when I saw your name I had to ask if you are related to the Flyers hockey player?

Mark

Joe Unni
09-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Bryan,

First...welcome. I too live in the Commonwealth.

Radiators. I agree with Al that you need to keep air flow (convection) in mind. I actually quoted a few covers about 2 years ago. After doing my research I found that some type of screening (metal or wood) should be used for the front panels and sides if deep enough. That's pretty obvious. But what I also learned is that you should keep the bottoms open as well. In other words, the front and side panels should look like they're setting on short legs. This enables the convection process to take place. The cold air come in the bottom, gets heated and then radiates out as it rises. Similar to regular baseboard heat. Oh, and they must be removable.

Also, poplar will work just fine and takes paint beautifully. Sand, prime (Kilz is cheap and works well), sand again, remove the dust and then paint...with oil paint. And not from the Borg! Some may argue, but good oil paint will stand up to lot's of abuse.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck,
-joe