PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Pen Work

Raymond Overman
09-04-2006, 4:46 PM
I've been working on some pens for a friend of mine. These are segmented with various woods at different angles. I need to make an order for a couple more barons before I deliver them.

I'm not a big fan of the wasp waste slimlines but I would lose some of the figures if I cut them any smaller. One thing that's tough when turning this type of pen is you have very little wood in places and the grain direction changes so you have to have sharp tools and light cuts so you don't tear the wood out at the joints.

Finished with CA and sanded through 12000MM. Some purpleheart, bloodwood, zebrawood, and other's that I'm not sure of.

Comments or critiques welcome.

John Miliunas
09-04-2006, 5:21 PM
Great job on those, Raymond! Good use of assorted woods, to boot. I especially like the Barons...They rock! :) :cool:

Terry Quiram
09-04-2006, 6:33 PM
Raymond

Those are real beauties. I especially like the three on the left. What kit is that?

Terry

Raymond Overman
09-04-2006, 6:43 PM
Terry,

That's the sterling Baron.

Keith Burns
09-04-2006, 6:55 PM
Great pens Raymond. You did a great job on your glue ups:) :)

Tim Beauregard
09-04-2006, 7:04 PM
They are beautiful and I hope that one day I can work on something like it.

Regards,
Tim B.

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2006, 7:09 PM
Awesome pens Raymond. You did a great job especially the glue ups. I like the Barons to.

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2006, 7:12 PM
Those are some very pretty pens there Raymond. Most excellent on the great craftsmanship. :cool:

Corey Hallagan
09-04-2006, 7:47 PM
Great looking pens Raymound.

Corey

Raymond Overman
09-04-2006, 7:58 PM
Thanks for the comments. I can't take credit for the glue ups, just the turning and the finish. They were cut offs from a friend who does segmented work. I posted a link to his (http://www.briansykeswoodturning.com) site a while back. He doesn't do pens but wanted some for friends so he asked if I'd turn them for him if he provided the blanks.