PDA

View Full Version : I surrender

Frank Fusco
09-04-2006, 10:43 AM
You might call it a bad news, good news situation. I have long been an avid sport shooter. Some of my favorite shooting has been pistol. But about two years ago I tore up my right shoulder and now have lost use of a small muscle and can't hold up a pistol anymore. So, I'm probably going to sell a couple. I live on a tight budget but believe I can raise $1000.00 for a new lathe. My Grizzly has served well but I now want more power and slow (real slow) low speed. I would like to stay way from the Reeves drive. I'm leery of the Jet. It seems that half the posts here, and elsewhere, are problems with the Jet. For that money, what would y'all choose?

Scott Donley
09-04-2006, 11:02 AM
For that money, what would y'all choose?A JET :D For that money I don't think you are going to find a vfd new in the size your looking for.

Jim Becker
09-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Frank, in order to get into a "true" (VFD driven) VS machine that has any size, you'll need to budget a bit more. The Jet 1642 or NOVA DVR are good targets. I'm not sure about the reference to "problems with the Jet"...which Jet? Early versions of the Delta 1642 equivalent did have electronics issues, however. If $1000 is your limit for the lathe, itself, you're pretty much still in Reeves drive territory for VS. That's not horrible, but does require you to make any speed changes with the machine running.

Another alternative is to find a "vintage" lathe and do a conversion to a VFD driven motor. You may be able to do that within your budget.

Matt Meiser
09-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Another alternative is to find a "vintage" lathe and do a conversion to a VFD driven motor. You may be able to do that within your budget.

I was just going to suggest the same. There are virtually always a few of the Rockwell/Delta heavy duty lathes on Ebay. About the only easily damaged, but hard to find part is the index pulley. Add a 3PH motor if it doesn't already have it and a VFD and you are in business. I probably have about $700 in mine. If you want more swing, David Marks has an Olliver like Steve Ash's with 2" riser blocks under the head and tailstock making it a 16x36 lathe.

Frank Fusco
09-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Frank, in order to get into a "true" (VFD driven) VS machine that has any size, you'll need to budget a bit more. The Jet 1642 or NOVA DVR are good targets. I'm not sure about the reference to "problems with the Jet"...which Jet? Early versions of the Delta 1642 equivalent did have electronics issues, however. If $1000 is your limit for the lathe, itself, you're pretty much still in Reeves drive territory for VS. That's not horrible, but does require you to make any speed changes with the machine running.

I checked the Jet web site, except for being heavier, they don't offer anything my Grizzly doesn't have. I think the slowest speed is even faster than the Griz. Maybe keeping an eye open for used is the best bet. Where I live chances of a good one are slim but I live half-way between two medium sized cities (Little Rock, Arkansas and Springfield, Missouri) and will watch those.

Scott Donley
09-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I checked the Jet web site, except for being heavier, they don't offer anything my Grizzly doesn't have. I think the slowest speed is even faster than the Griz. Jet 1442 450 rpm, 1 hp-G1495 500 rpm 3/4 hp and 100 pds lighter. Maybe you could get a Delta or Jet and just paint it GREEN :D

Frank Fusco
09-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Jet 1442 450 rpm, 1 hp-G1495 500 rpm 3/4 hp and 100 pds lighter. Maybe you could get a Delta or Jet and just paint it GREEN :D

Actually, to DOWNGRADE :confused: to the Grizzly G4062 would give me everything I want except slow low speed. (I would have to comprimise on the Reeves drive) And it is under $400.00. I solved the weight problem with a couple sacks of sand, my current Griz runs smooth and quiet. I think if Grizzly would give that slow low speed, the world would forget Powermatic and Oneway. :rolleyes: My shopping has just begun.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-04-2006, 2:25 PM
I saw this recently on the Nova Owners Site............

The 1624-44 is the new upgraded Nova 3000. New bigger bed ala DVR-XP. Most importantly a newer stronger motor that lessens the shaft breakage that occurred on the 3000 because of a bigger and stronger shaft. An easier to change speed system. 214 to 3600rpm, 16"over the bed and 29" outboard. Basically all the good features and expandability of the Nova line. $969 price tag I was told at the AAW Symposium. It looks to be very well made and is priced right for entry into a bigger turning machine. Hope this helps!
Understand that this is the Nova 3000, not the Nova DVR 3000.

I had heard before that is was due out in the fall of 2006, so that is right around the corner, you might think of waiting just a bit and take a look at it.

Cheers!

Frank Fusco
09-04-2006, 2:31 PM
I saw this recently on the Nova Owners Site............

Understand that this is the Nova 3000, not the Nova CVR 3000.

I had heard before that is was due out in the fall of 2006, so that is right around the corner, you might think of waiting just a bit and take a look at it.

Cheers!

Thanks, Stu. I think they designed it with me in mind. ;) (p.s. look for my e-mail)

Bill Grumbine
09-04-2006, 7:54 PM
Frank, sorry to hear of your pistol difficulties, being an avid shooter myself. If you don't mind my asking, what are you selling to pay for that new lathe!?! ;)

Bill, who loves shooting his .357 magnums

John Shuk
09-04-2006, 8:27 PM
Frank,
I'm on a pretty tight budget too. I managed to get my hands on a Delta 46-765 for under $1k. It has true variable speed. Mine was refurbished by Delta and never used from a fellow Creeker. They can be found in that price range if you keep an eye open. There are a couple of model numbers for the same lathe but look around and you might get lucky. I'm very pleased with mine. I haven't come across too many shortcomings but they all pale when I think I only paid about $800. Good luck hunting

Mike Vickery
09-05-2006, 1:32 PM
Frank,
In the new lathe category I doubt you are going to get what you want. The best I know of in that price range is the Jet 1442 and I do not think it would be worth upgradeing from what you already have for the price.
I would say look for a used machine, up your price range or stay with the Grizzly.
The next lathe up that would be worth upgrading to is the Jet 1642 about $1,800 with the 110 V 1 1/2 hp and $2,000 with the 220 volt 2HP.

Good deals on used lathes are few and far between but can be found. I was pretty much set on getting the Jet 1642 2hp if I could not find a good used lathe. I was lucky and found a large capacity 2HP machine in good shape for under $900.

John Shuk
09-07-2006, 8:19 PM
Frank,
I just saw mention on Woodcentral (9/07) that Rockler has the 16 inch steel bed lathes on sale for $1299. I assume that this is new and warranteed. Might be worth the extra few bucks. Just a thought.
John

Jim Becker
09-07-2006, 8:40 PM
John, that would be a very good price for the Delta steel bed...probably the 1.5hp system, but that's ok, especially for the price. The 2hp largely gives more headroom for coring and for very large pieces.

Frank Fusco
09-08-2006, 10:24 AM
I got a private e-mail from a member here, but who usually remains quiet. He is on one of my penturning forums also. He resells Novas at very good prices and will be quoting me on the new model soon. As said in other posts, I'm 97% happy with my current Grizzly, no hurry here. Thanks, y'all.

Travis White
09-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Hey, are you looking to sell your guns? Do you have any S&W weelguns?

Frank Fusco
09-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey, are you looking to sell your guns? Do you have any S&W weelguns?

Look for an e-mail.