PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Gorilla Gloves

Bobby Hatfield
10-07-2003, 6:52 PM
Hey, everyone knows how us old geezers hate to change, so change I did, used gorilla glue today for the first time. Now the secret to getting it off hands, anybody ? Should have used gloves, you say, you know what I think about gloves, I wasn't loading a truckload of lumber, I was gluing up a dough board, for the local bakery. The old Goat, who owned it decided to finally retire again, and a friend bought it and moved it to his new Realty office building, HUH ? I know. There is another story about that. I should be retiring and enjoying RV'ing around the country, yu'say. Can't, someone else bought the motorhome (used) I had picked out, and haven't found a good Diesel Pusher MH to take its place. Wearing Gorilla gloves till they wear off. Will let you know what I think about using poly glue when I take the dough board out of the clamps tomorrow.

Bryan Nuss
10-07-2003, 7:26 PM
Bobby,

Something like these??

http://www.daveyhorror.com/gorillagloves.html

Steve Clardy
10-07-2003, 7:41 PM
Bobby, get the wifes bottle of 409 out from under the sink. Works on a lot of stuff, including getting glue off of old buzzards hands.
It takes fiberglass resin off also. Steve, been there.

PS, this isn't a "solvent".

Jim Becker
10-07-2003, 7:56 PM
I don't know about the stuff that Steve recommends...don't have any...but the best way to avoid "black finger" from polyurethane glues is to wear the gloves despite loathing them. It's pretty nasty stuff and having to use solvents on one's flesh isn't such a good thing, either. Same goes for using spray-foam insulation!

Bobby Hatfield
10-07-2003, 9:22 PM
Bobby, get the wifes bottle of 409 out from under the sink. Works on a lot of stuff, including getting glue off of old buzzards hands.
It takes fiberglass resin off also. Steve, been there.

PS, this isn't a "solvent".

Well I tried soap, lacquer thinner, fast orange, it still left a sticky feeling on my fingers, no black hand or burning of any kind. Its all gone now.
So, how does this poly stuff stack up to yellow glue for holding strength, anybody want to guess, or have any experience with poly glue ? I did a test on some cut offs at the same time and I can tell you my Titebond sets up much quicker, and holds together in the same time limit, very short time test, the cut offs came apart with no pressure at all.

Bobby Hatfield
10-07-2003, 10:09 PM
I don't know about the stuff that Steve recommends...don't have any...but the best way to avoid "black finger" from polyurethane glues is to wear the gloves despite loathing them. It's pretty nasty stuff and having to use solvents on one's flesh isn't such a good thing, either. Same goes for using spray-foam insulation!

Aw Jim, I didn't have any black finger, just a little of the sticky stuff on a finger. I wear protective gloves when dyeing my jobs, and while using oil based stain also.I am no superman but working maintenance in a chemical plant will add experience quickly so a little poly glue is nothing compared what I have had contact with while repairing equipment and transfer lines. I will admit the chlorine and rapid decomposing stuff gets your attention.

Glenn Clabo
10-08-2003, 5:06 AM
Bobby,
It's not even 5 am yet...not even one cup a coffee...but for some reason reading about a obstinate old fart wearing glue gloves has made my day. I HATE gloves...and have walked around causing strange looks from people who I'm sure wonder if waht I have is catchy. :D

Ken Salisbury
10-08-2003, 8:15 AM
Bobby,

I use polyurethane glue on all my craft stuff that requires gluing brass tubes in wood blocks. I have tried everything (and I mean everything)imaginable to get the stuff off my hands to no avail. The only solution I know of is to wear those "examination gloves" like Nurse Goodbody uses.

Todd Burch
10-08-2003, 8:53 AM
Poly glue is not as strong as tightbond, but it is more gap filling. Todd.

Alan Turner
10-08-2003, 9:23 AM
Well I tried soap, lacquer thinner, fast orange, it still left a sticky feeling on my fingers, no black hand or burning of any kind. Its all gone now.
So, how does this poly stuff stack up to yellow glue for holding strength, anybody want to guess, or have any experience with poly glue ? I did a test on some cut offs at the same time and I can tell you my Titebond sets up much quicker, and holds together in the same time limit, very short time test, the cut offs came apart with no pressure at all.
I used this once, only. It was on 3 pairs of exterior french storm doors, of mahogany. Openings were about 4' wide, 7-3" tall. That was 4 years ago, and no problems yet. Nasty stuff, not enjoyable. Today I would use either Unibond 800, or West epoxy, for the same job.

Jim Becker
10-08-2003, 9:51 AM
Poly glue is not as strong as tightbond, but it is more gap filling. Todd.

You do need to be careful that the "gap filling" is with the glue itself and not any foam generated by excess moisture...the latter has almost no strength. DAMHIKT! <G> I might use the poly glue for some outdoor projects that require a longer open time and extra moisture resistance, but am much more comfortable with Titebond II PVA for just about everything under normal circumstances...and it washes off with water before it's cured.

Byron Trantham
10-08-2003, 10:53 AM
I use those blue gloves from HD. I don't think too much of them. I just finished a dye job on the Crib I'm building for the kids. My right index finger is Pilgrim Maple! I can't find any holes in the glove so I assume it bled through the glove. I've thought about those Nitril gloves advertised in various wood catalogs but haven't bought any. Has anyone used them?

Rob Bourgeois
10-08-2003, 12:45 PM
. I've thought about those Nitril gloves advertised in various wood catalogs but haven't bought any. Has anyone used them?

I have used Nitrile gloves. My reasons are due to the possiblity of devolping a latex allergy. More comon in those of us whose jobs require long time exposure to latex and the powder in the gloves.

I like the nitrile gloves and never had anything bleed threw yet. I get them from a biological supply house ( Fisher or Cole Palmer) not from the wood working catologs but they are the same thing. I havent compared prices.

Side note...any one can develop an allergy to latex which would make your life difficult in most hospitals around the world. the usually signs are red skin dermitious but can result in respiratory problems if you breathe in the powder and you react to it.

Roger Fitzsimonds
10-08-2003, 12:48 PM
I use the nitrile gloves and they hold up better for than the latex ones. I get them at harbor freight for 15 dollars for 100.

Roger

Byron Trantham
10-08-2003, 12:53 PM
I have used Nitrile gloves. My reasons are due to the possiblity of devolping a latex allergy. More comon in those of us whose jobs require long time exposure to latex and the powder in the gloves.

I like the nitrile gloves and never had anything bleed threw yet. I get them from a biological supply house ( Fisher or Cole Palmer) not from the wood working catologs but they are the same thing. I havent compared prices.

Side note...any one can develop an allergy to latex which would make your life difficult in most hospitals around the world. the usually signs are red skin dermitious but can result in respiratory problems if you breathe in the powder and you react to it.

I've used the latex gloves with no apparent side effects but they disintegrate during use. That's why I tired the blue ones form HD. I would rub a hole right through them. I think I will try the nitrile gloves.

Howard Barlow
10-08-2003, 2:19 PM
Latex is for water use ONLY. Any other liquid will cause them to fail. Most additives in water will cause them to fail. Use nitrile.

Dr. Zack Jennings
10-08-2003, 6:22 PM
Goof Off Works....

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
10-08-2003, 8:57 PM
I tried the Gorilla glue for just a little while and didn't like the results. The foaming actually gets in the way of a good bond some of the time. The gap filling ability of any glue is a myth since the glue may be there but it has no strength in that thickness. I threw out the bottle of glue and never looked back. I much prefer old fashioned hide glue for almost any task. Of course I am from another era and pretty strange in other ways roo.

Jim Becker
10-08-2003, 9:45 PM
There is one other little negative about polyurethane glues like Gorilla brand that needs to be taken into consideration...it has a short shelf life once opened and exposed to moisture in the air as compared to PVA type glues. Don't buy more than you plan on using in 6-9 months max. It may appear "cheaper" in the big bottles, but it's not when you have to throw half of it out! It's also best to store it upside-down.

Wes Bischel
10-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Well, I do have to say you guys have made me feel much better - I am not alone on this one.

I used Gorilla glue for the first time a few weeks ago - treated it just like Titebond II (read: got it all over my hands). I went to roll it off like I do Titebond II - nothing - tried everything to clean it off. Well the long of it is I spent a week or so with black blotches all over my hands.

Now I don't feel like such a dolt!

Wes (with clean hands no less!)

Dave Smith
10-09-2003, 3:20 AM
and I have the black hands to prove it. Use the nitrile blue gloves to keep it off your hands. Denatured alcohol will remove the glue before it starts to cure. Poly glue is espically nice with wide sanders because it doesn't melt and gum up the belts like PVA does. DAMHIKT Shelf life is shorter than yellow glue but you don't need to use as much so think small containers. I like Tite Bond polyurethane glue. It full cures in 4 hours. Clamp time is about an hour.

It works for me but I am only 57 and not set in my ways yet.

Dave Smith

Bobby Hatfield
10-09-2003, 5:08 PM
Hey, everyone knows how us old geezers hate to change, so change I did, used gorilla glue today for the first time. Will let you know what I think about using poly glue when I take the dough board out of the clamps tomorrow.

Well my take on poly glue is that it takes a little more time, wetting the surface, cleaning hands, is easier scraping off, may not be as strong as yellow glue, its water resistant, only time in the bakery for the doughboard will tell, I'll keep an eye on it when I stop by for my coffee and sugar fix. Doing research for the glue company is hard work, the double oven cabinet also requires periodical inspection for scorching on the plywood and latex paint adhesion on outside of cabinet, its really hard to concentrate on work anymore. Still looking for a cheap Diesel rear engine Motorhome, cold weather comes and south Texas is calling.

Bobby Hatfield
10-09-2003, 5:18 PM
Goof Off Works....

Hey Zack, I need a gallon if it takes off ugly. Did you get the velcro ordered ? My supplier has the felt paper, no velcro. My order came with 4 extra 6"X 260" belts in the box, (like to see that stroke sander) called about them, got address of who ordered them and shipped them on. You take that hounddog to bluestown ?

Gary Breckenridge
05-03-2009, 11:23 PM
You may want to do a search of glue test results. I think that WOOD had one a few month back. Gorilla Glue does the best marketing on any commercial adhesive. Gee, I wonder why that is.:eek:

Todd Burch
05-04-2009, 7:38 AM
You just updated a 5 1/2 year old thread.

Dennis Peacock
05-04-2009, 7:52 AM
You jut updated a 5 1/2 year old thread.

Yup, Bobby doesn't even frequent here any more since the loss of his wife and he's been busy trying to make life "happen". I miss Bobby and I also miss his Evelyn, who has since passed way.

george wilson
05-04-2009, 10:41 AM
YOU MUST USE NITRILE GLOVES if you don't want oil,stain,and all kinds of molecules getting through. You can't see them,but latex has tiny holes throughout which are large enough to let oil molecules through,and lots of other stuff.

Latex also lets AIDS virus through.I was relieved to see my dentist finally using nitrile gloves after I told him about the holes in latex. It really annoys me that kids think they are having safe sex because some one handed them latex condoms. Whoever is making those kind of decisions needs to be better informed.

guy knight
05-04-2009, 12:30 PM
for what its worth titebond III gives you better strength and is waterproof and does not turn your hands black

Howard Acheson
05-04-2009, 1:15 PM
This is from the Gorilla Glue website:

We recommend wearing gloves or applying with a disposable brush.

If you do get the glue on your skin, try a dry cloth or paper towel first (particularly if the glue is still tacky). If that doesn’t work, try washing with soap and cold water, or using an exfoliator with a gritty texture. Dry your skin and apply lotion. We do not recommend any kind of alcohol or acetone. This actually strips the skin of its natural oils, which means the glue is more likely to stick.

Jim Rimmer
05-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey, everyone knows how us old geezers hate to change, so change I did, used gorilla glue today for the first time. Now the secret to getting it off hands, anybody ? Should have used gloves, you say, you know what I think about gloves, I wasn't loading a truckload of lumber, I was gluing up a dough board, for the local bakery. The old Goat, who owned it decided to finally retire again, and a friend bought it and moved it to his new Realty office building, HUH ? I know. There is another story about that. I should be retiring and enjoying RV'ing around the country, yu'say. Can't, someone else bought the motorhome (used) I had picked out, and haven't found a good Diesel Pusher MH to take its place. Wearing Gorilla gloves till they wear off. Will let you know what I think about using poly glue when I take the dough board out of the clamps tomorrow.
I use Gorilla glue and like it. The foam out is a little annoying. I use nitrile (medical) gloves to keep it off my hands.