PDA

View Full Version : Steam and Gas show and I need graphics

Ed Lang
09-04-2006, 7:53 AM
I will be at a Steam and Gas show in two weeks. If anyone has or knows of where I can get graphics that would fit this theme, please let me know.

For those of you who do not know what a Steam and Gas show is, it is a three day event here where collectors of old steam engines and from small to quite large gold gas engines meet. At this one there will be old tractor pulls, an old sawmill and lots of demos of equipment from the past.

I want to create some wall tributes based on LaserBuzzs designes for tractors and old things. Think "Ford", "International", "John Deere", "Maytag" etc...

And of course V-carved signs with sayings or graphics on them.

Bruce Volden
09-04-2006, 9:27 AM
Ed

Try searching the data base here http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/index.htm

I looked briefly but don't know what you would prefer??:confused:

Bruce

Keith Outten
09-04-2006, 9:53 AM
Ed,

Follow the link below to the Cornell University Library and their list of the Manufacturers and Builders Newspaper from the late 1800's. Make sure you set your download resolution on their site to view 100% for the large graphics, there are lots of old drawings of steam engines and other goodies that are awesome for engraving. Even the advertising pages have some very nice graphics and the articles aren't bad either...you do read the articles don't you :)

The M&B collection is about 300 meg (322 pages) if my memory isn't failing this morning. I downloaded the whole library months ago. Stop by my shop and I can save you hours and hours of click and save by putting the whole collection on a CD.

They have other collections online as well, there is one collection of old American Indian photos that is extremely nice and worthy of engraving if you need pics of Native Americans. I have most of this colection also.

http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&cite=&coll=moa&view=100&root=%2Fmoa%2Fmanu%2Fmanu0020%2F&tif=00322.TIF&pagenum=1

Mike Hood
09-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Very cool... and thanks.

Any other clipart or engraving sites out there that anyone uses?

(particularily older images and lithos?)

Dave Jones
09-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Old newspapers and magazines are full of great images for engraving. Just stick with 1921 and earlier to avoid any copyright issues with drawings and photos.

Also, be aware that companies that still exist (ie: John Deere) own the trademark on their logos. Often still on old logos that they haven't used for years. Chances are small that they would go after somebody at a show like that selling things with their logo on them, but it is possible and it is a trademark violation. So just be warned. There may be people at those shows that work at some of those companies, going just for the fun, but who might notice the unauthorized use of trademarks.

Mike Hood
09-04-2006, 11:33 PM
I actually learned that lesson the hard way (nearly) with a John Deere logo variation I had used on eBay. They protect their copyright VERY aggressively. I'm really careful about what I use these days.

Joe Pelonio
09-05-2006, 2:20 PM
Very cool... and thanks.

Any other clipart or engraving sites out there that anyone uses?

(particularily older images and lithos?)
Mike, I have several Dover books of good b/w stuff that need to be scanned, if you want to borrow some. A lot of it is older images, a lot of '20s and '30s.

Mike Hood
09-05-2006, 2:31 PM
Just after I read your last post I was thinking that the local historical society and libraries here would be good starts. I'm interested in engraving some stuff of local historical perpective.

Great ideas though. Thanks for the brain nudge. :)

Keith Outten
09-05-2006, 2:45 PM
Ed,

I found ten litho's of interest in a quick search of the M&B Newspaper in my graphics archive. Most were from the 1873 paper, one from 1888 and one from 1894. I didn't search all the pics but there seem to be plenty.