PDA

View Full Version : Project: Shaker Style Candle Stand - Final (Cross Post)

Jim Becker
09-03-2006, 10:33 PM
For those of you who don't tend to visit "flatland", I posted the final pictures tonight in the running pictorial (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32449) that I've been keeping in the GW forum for a Shaker style tiger maple candle stand that I've been working on for some time. (limited shop time stretched it out quite a bit) That project combines turning with flat woodworking and was so enjoyable. Here's a teaser in case you missed the big thread.... :)

And yes, those are a few turnings on top of the table. The red NE piece has it's own thread here in the turning forum...I need to take a final picture and update that thread. The other piece is a box made of Desert Eucalyptus that I turned a few years ago and messed up the finish. I recently stripped it and this weekend it got a good shellac-ing... ;)

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Jim that is a beautiful piece. The wood is fantastic. Awesome job Jim.

Corey Hallagan
09-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Very striking table Jim. I like the dye job you did on this piece with that great tiger maple. Excellent.

Corey

Brett Baldwin
09-04-2006, 1:26 AM
Wow, with stripes that dark maybe it should be zebra maple. Very striking piece Jim.

Barry Stratton
09-04-2006, 4:47 AM
Beautiful job Jim, absolutely perfect! I'm glad to see you got some shop time in AND left room on the table for the girls turnings!

John Shuk
09-04-2006, 7:41 AM
Nice work Jim. The finish came out nice as well. The color is very similar to some Tiger maple chairs I have that are over a hundred years old so I expect this is going to look good for a long time.

Karl Laustrup
09-04-2006, 8:09 AM
Beautiful piece Jim [the turnings also]. That will most certainly be an heirloom.

Glad to see you got a couple days in the shop. :D

Karl

Mark Pruitt
09-04-2006, 9:34 AM
Beautiful table Jim! I think that column is my favorite part. I like the way that you tapered the legs as well.

And, I REALLY like the finish you put on that NE sitting on top!!! I would love to hear the details on that finish.

Mark

Terry Quiram
09-04-2006, 9:42 AM
Jim

Thats a sweet candle stand. I love curyl Maple and wish I had better access without shipping across the country. I really like the color you applyed. What is it? Did you turn the top on the Stubby.

Terry

Ernie Nyvall
09-04-2006, 10:49 PM
I remember your quest for some tiger striped maple. Looks like you found some with just a little in it.;) Man-o-man is that wonderful looking Jim. And there's that NE vase that I've been wanting to see since you posted the startup on it. Nice job and thanks for posting.

Jim Tobias
09-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Jim,.
I followed the progress posts and enjoyed follwing it. The end result is very, very nice!! Beautiful maple and I like the color.
Great job!

Jim

Mark Singer
09-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Great table! Gorgeous wood! Jessica says" Hi Jim and she added nice job" !!!

John Miliunas
09-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Very nicely done, Jim! :) Man, the figuring on that wood is downright killer! Looks beautiful and the execution of the project is, as we've come to expect out of you, top notch! :) Great job. :) :cool: