PDA

View Full Version : Building a couple tables, questions

Scott Thornton
09-03-2006, 10:16 PM
I am building my first tables and have some questions.

They are going to be a simple coffee table and end table. My plan was to make the top, have four legs and stretchers between the legs.

I was thinking I would mortise and tenon the stretchers into the legs.

What else can I do to make them solid? How can I join the legs and stretchers to the top? Pocket screws? Also, do I need corner braces/brackets for this?

Thanks.

Jim Becker
09-03-2006, 10:46 PM
M&T is the traditional way to build the apron/leg joinery. I typically do use triangular corner braces as they stiffen things up and also provide a means of securing the top. (screws up through the corner braces with those in the rear of the table riding in slots to accommodate wood movement) For a wider table, such as a coffee table, I typically put a center brace in to keep the aprons parallel and provide another mounting point for the top.

John Fry
09-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi Scott.

Just so we are all clear on your design, "stretchers" are usually defined as rails between the legs, near the foot, that help reinforce the leg and apron assembly.

"Aprons" are rails between the legs at the top, that usually support and attatch to the top.

M & T's (along with many other methods) are an appropriate way to join both aprons and stretchers to the legs.

HTH

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM
is plywood or MDF you will not have to worry about wood movement. If the top is solid wood then Jim's advise about providing slots for the screws to move in is very important. There are other ways to handle the wood movement problem also but the important thing for a first time table builder to remember is that solid wood tops are likely to split with humidity changes unless the method of fastening the top allows the wood to move.