PDA

View Full Version : drawer locks

Stephen Sebed
10-07-2003, 4:41 PM
I am building a chest of drawers and would like to put locks on some of the drawers. Can someone tell me where I can buy such locks?

Thanks,
Stephen

Halsey MCCombs
10-07-2003, 5:49 PM
Rockler has some. rockler.com . Halsey

Ken Garlock
10-07-2003, 9:05 PM
Also, look at Lee Valley. They have a large hardware selection.

Jamie Buxton
10-08-2003, 1:00 AM
And Woodworkers Hardware has a bunch. www.wwhardware.com

Byron Trantham
10-08-2003, 10:09 AM
And Woodworkers Supply.....

Stephen Sebed
10-08-2003, 11:48 PM
OK,
I looked at rockler and lee valley. I'm not sure any of these will work now, but I thought I'd ask all you pros.

I've already assembled the face frame for this dresser so I can't get in to cut any mortises. The drawers are made from 1/2" poplar and will have false fronts. Is there a lock that will work for this application? If I didn't give enough information on the dresser just ask.

Thanks,
Stephen

Ken Salisbury
10-09-2003, 7:40 AM
Stephen,

I am sure your post will result in someone finding what you need.

It should be noted a real first and last name are required by the Saw Mill Creek Terms of Service. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php)

Please either e-mail (ken@oldrebelworkshop.com)or PM me that information and I will have your member data updated. Thanks in advance.

Jamie Buxton
10-09-2003, 2:49 PM
Stephen ---
Perhaps a more-complete description would help. However, here's a couple thoughts....

Most locks have a bolt of some sort that needs to catch on the cabinet carcase somehow. That is, you need to make at least a shallow mortise into the carcase. Even with a fully-assembled carscase, I'd think you could bore a hole, or chisel a crude shallow mortise, and cover the hole with the lock's strike plate.
However, for most locks, the big mortise operation is done on the drawer. That mortise holds the lock body. It seems like you haven't worked yourself into a corner yet.
If you don't want to do big mortising to the drawer front, there are also drawer locks that just screw on to the back of the drawer front. This kind is available from the previously-cited sources.