PDA

View Full Version : Bonk Bonk!!

Tyler Howell
09-03-2006, 8:46 PM
Nahm must have been in on the Abysseration.
Saturdays NYW was Lathe 101. I watched attentively took notes and struck out to change the world.
As Luck would have it I had actually scheduled time on my Palm Pilot (pretty anal huh?) to mess with the Mini.

Couldn't see a real purpose for it::confused:

Slapped a chain on it and tried it out as a boat anchor. Plenty of weight but no holding power:rolleyes: .
No good as a book end. Took up the whole shelf.
Give it a try. Chucked in what I think is walnut from the Abyss.
Still not convinced I tried it as a door stop.
OK here it is. My first bonker. 3 coats of velvet oil. Sanded to 400:cool: .

Keith Burns
09-03-2006, 8:55 PM
TA DA !!!! Way to go Thong Man, that is a great looking Bonker:) :) :)

Now whats next ????

Brett Baldwin
09-03-2006, 9:00 PM
Very handsome bonker there. I'm sure you'll find it very handy.

Scott Donley
09-03-2006, 9:08 PM
Way to go ! Great looking bonker ya got there ;)

Corey Hallagan
09-03-2006, 9:10 PM
Excellent bonker! Way to go Tyler.

Corey

Don Baer
09-03-2006, 9:42 PM
about time....

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Tyler..........As the Official Bonker Secretary for MOA! Well done! Bravo Zulu! Hopefully the sharks will cut you some slack now! Now come on Ty....wasn't it fun?.........Huh?

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey Tyler nice bonker. Are you as busy as we are with the new ATO? Keep'em coming.

Jim Becker
09-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Good job, Tyler!!

Cecil Arnold
09-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Way to go Tyler.

Andy Hoyt
09-04-2006, 12:14 AM
I concur with the Secretary, and hereby bestow bonker status to that thing on the mini AND turner status to the dude what spun it!

Well done Ty. Only one gig on the bonker. The fat end should be to the left:D:D

John Miliunas
09-04-2006, 12:30 AM
And a mighty fine bonker it is, my friend! :) Oh, and don't worry which end the fat part is at....You done just fine! :) :cool:

Jim Dunn
09-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Andy is that a fat joke??? Tyler, welcome to the round world of spinning.

Karl Laustrup
09-04-2006, 6:24 AM
Way to go Tyler. One down, innumberable more to come.

Not to question the MOA, but I always thought the big end was up? ;) :D

Karl

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-04-2006, 6:51 AM
So how did you like it?

Fun ain't it :D

Way to go!

Welcome!

Tyler Howell
09-04-2006, 9:05 AM
I concur with the Secretary,

Only one gig on the bonker. The fat end should be to the left:D:D

OK Let the fight begin, First questions on spin crack:confused:

Do I understand you to say the heavy part goes on the Motor side:confused: I switched directions a couple times to get a better angle on cutting and sanding the ends the ends.
Instruction book was pretty vague. We're clearly cutting across the grain! is the a right or wrong direction?
I'm assuming start slow speed and build as you achieve balance and smoothness?Ok that will keep me scratching for a while.
TIA

Mark Pruitt
09-04-2006, 9:17 AM

Do I understand you to say the heavy part goes on the Motor side:confused: I switched directions a couple times to get a better angle on cutting and sanding the ends the ends.
Instruction book was pretty vague. We're clearly cutting across the grain! is the a right or wrong direction?
I'm assuming start slow speed and build as you achieve balance and smoothness?Ok that will keep me scratching for a while.
TIA
I'm not sure if I've ever heard that addressed (which could possibly only attest to my ever-shrinking memory), but it just "feels right" to have the most mass on the end where the piece is being driven. There may be a more scientific answer--OK Tyler now you've got me scratching my head too!:p :rolleyes:

Oh...and, nice bonker!!!

Mark

Ted Calver
09-04-2006, 9:23 AM
Fairly bonked!!

John Miliunas
09-04-2006, 10:07 AM

TIA

Tyler, I don't know if there's a stead-fast rule on it but, I've always done it where the most mass of the piece stays closest to the most mass of the lathe (headstock). On a spindle turning (ala bonker), that may not make as much of a difference but, it will once you get to doing bowls, HF's, etc...

Yes, you will be cutting across the grain but, tool sharpness takes care of issues with that because, yes, one direction will typically be a bit easier than the other. Still, you should never have to reverse the piece to accommodate that. It's technique and again, tool sharpness. Here's a tip: Whenever using a skew, always go down a profile, not up! Hence, if you're making a "cove" in a piece, go down to the valley of it then, switch sides and come in from the other side to meet it. When using a gouge, that's not quite as critical but, if you teach yourself to do that, both the gouge and skew will work better for you.

Yup, you're spot on for the speed question. Once you get the rough turn running round and smooth, you can increase your speed. However, that is also reliant on the diameter of the piece. The larger the diameter, the less you want/need to increase the speed, as the rev's on the outside will be much faster on a large diameter piece.

You're doing well, my friend! Keep it up! :) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
09-04-2006, 10:22 AM
I was just messing with you Tyler, but as is occasionally the case, there was also some truth to it as John has pointed out. With that fine bonker the concern is less critical since it's relatively small. But with a much heavier piece, yup - you betcha by golly fer sure.

Instruction book? You don't need no stinkin' instruction book! That's what we're for. What's that, you say? Oh yeah, better hit the local library. Enjoy.

Travis Stinson
09-04-2006, 12:39 PM
See? That didn't hurt THAT bad, did it?;)
Good luck with the "scheduling lathe time".:D

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2006, 5:37 PM
A most excellent bonker that Tyler!!!!! Congrats buddy!!!! I just knew you had it in ya to turn sumpin on that there thang. :D

john whittaker
09-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Tyler...There looks to be a bunch of graffiti all over your brand new tool. Can't believe someone would write all over that pretty thingy.

Maybe you could schedule some washing time in your palm? ;)

Barry Stratton
09-05-2006, 1:39 AM
What Don said.....Nice bonker BTW, well done!

FRANK, your turn to come out and playyyyyyyyyy...

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2006, 1:49 AM
Oh man! We're all, well some of us - and me at the top of the list because I started it - are a bunch of knurodnicks.

Ol' Eagle Eye Stinson has just pointed out to me that the pic was taken from the back side of the lathe.

Doh!

Sorry, Tyler. When you're done with that library book, pass it over it this way.