PDA

View Full Version : Held out for as long as I could...

Brett Baldwin
09-03-2006, 8:07 PM
I knew it was going to happen sooner or later so I guess it is officially sooner. I have fallen into the Abyss. I was doing some explorations at Woodcraft to check out a LN block plane they had on sale but they didn't have one in stock and I was going to check out the Rikon mini lathe but that wasn't in either so I head back and stop at Rockler to pick up some clear 4" dust hose. Well there is a sale going on naturally so I wander around to see what else I might "need" and there is a Jet VS Mini lathe with a Midi Nova chuck for $299. Well, I thought it over for a while as I continued to wander but I just couldn't pass it up. I had only two projects in mind for it immediately but I knew more would spring to mind. Since I had already done some homework on the subject I stopped by Harbor freight and picked up the $35 starter set to make my learning mistakes on. Without further ado...the proof.

The Abyssal machine itself with its infernal acoutrements...
The requisite bonker (in miniature as this was handy wood)
And my first radical design change (since the helpful sales person said there are no mistakes in turning, only design changes)

As all you previously Abysserated folks know, there will be more coming but that is all I have for now. I have some citrus tree cuttings that will be providing me with free learning wood and I can already tell my sharpening skills are going to need to develop quickly but so far, lots of fun.

Don Baer
09-03-2006, 8:19 PM
Brett,
Welcome to the abysse. I can see right now that you'r gonna have a lot to show us in the future. Oh and say good bye to your flat works tools, they'll come in handy to store your wood stash and othetr turning acutrimonts (sp?)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2006, 8:44 PM
Brett........Welcome to the Abyss! I was shoved into the Vortex....I have since managed to turn head first into it and am using a breaststoke to go as fast as possible! Nice first bonker and design change! It comes(the design change) with the territory....sometimes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do...............

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-03-2006, 8:51 PM
Welcome, Brett. Sorry about the OOPS. They happen. Keep on Keepin' on! It happens to all of us.

Bruce

Tyler Howell
09-03-2006, 8:54 PM
Brett,
Your weak, spineless, give in to peer preasure......
Me too:o .
Welcome to the abyss.

Corey Hallagan
09-03-2006, 9:11 PM
Way to go Brett! Excellent lathe as well!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Welcome Brett. Keep'em coming.

Jim Becker
09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
AH....self-inflicted Abysseration!! Kewel!!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-06-2006, 2:23 AM
Welcome!!

Way to go, already making them "radical design changes" I see ;) :D

John Hart
09-06-2006, 6:48 AM
I came up with an idea the other day....you can cover all the large flat tools with a tarp and use the small flat tools to hold the tarp down! Welcome!!!:) Nice Bonker!

Guy Germaine
09-06-2006, 7:58 AM
I just got my Rockerl flyer yesterday and saw that. It's laying on the kitchen counter so LOML "happens" to see it. 24th anniversary coming up in a few weeks. We'll see if she can take a hint. :rolleyes:

Jean Holland
09-06-2006, 8:30 AM
Brett, welcome to the abyss. I got the fever a few years ago....pushed into it by the LOML (also a Brett). There's no turning back once you have entered the dark side.

Ernie Nyvall
09-06-2006, 10:20 PM
The requisite bonker (in miniature as this was handy wood)

Hey, sometimes those bream can get vicious... you might need this thing on the lake.

Congrats Brett and welcome.

George Conklin
09-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Awesome!!! Another "Zonie":D.