PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with a friends Bear.....

Tim Morton
09-03-2006, 7:47 PM
HI guys I thought this might be a good place to get some answers to this rather unussual question. A couple days ago I get a knock on my door from a friend who needed a hand lifting something....a bear he said.:eek: I know he is a hunter but not being bear season i was a little perplexed. Well it turned out to be a 6 foot tall wodden bear that he rescued from even further decay.You know the ones that are made from logs with a chainsaw. Well the base was completely gone...and now he has cut a 6" blank out of a 30" fresh cut log that he is trying to marry to the bear somehow. He has filled in all the rot into the legs with some kind of polymer wood filler and now he is shaping the base with a chainsaw to get a good match to the bear....but is thinking he can just use a ton of "liquid nails" and then some long screws. I cannot see that working and suggestted at minimum he is going to have to use some heavy dowels....but that I would post here looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance and pictures will follow once the big guy is upright:)

Matt Meiser
09-03-2006, 8:03 PM
What about some really long lag screws?

David Romasco
09-03-2006, 8:05 PM
Isn't this a situation where you have a load-BEARing base? (apologies to all; sometimes I can't help myself)

Ray Sheley
09-03-2006, 8:16 PM
How far "up" until solid wood is hit?

You might want to get a wood auger to drill through to solid wood, get long bolts and expanding anchors to grab onto.
I did this trick in concrete to anchor a gun safe, but it should work with the polymerized wood repair material.
This is the process. ( I used 1/2" anchors and 10" long bolts, you may need longer, perhaps thread rod w/locked nuts to drive it.)
Drill a hole to reach solid wood, coat the threads of the anchor spreader with a release material, inset the bolt into the anchor, also coated with release into the hole. I then partially expanded the anchor by dropping a pipe down the hole with the bolt through the center. The idea is to use the pipe to keep the anchor bottomed out while tightening the bolt to cause the anchor to expand. When it is locked, pull out the bolt and the pipe. I then taped a couple of layers of masking tape onto the bolt, coated that with release, inserted and threaded the bolt into the anchor, then packed the though hole around the release coated bolt and let it dry. when I was happy with the hardness I installed my safe (and you your base) crank the expander as far as you dare and you are done.
Let us know what you finally do. Good Luck.

Tim Morton
09-03-2006, 8:44 PM
How far "up" until solid wood is hit?

You might want to get a wood auger to drill through to solid wood, get long bolts and expanding anchors to grab onto.
I did this trick in concrete to anchor a gun safe, but it should work with the polymerized wood repair material.
This is the process. ( I used 1/2" anchors and 10" long bolts, you may need longer, perhaps thread rod w/locked nuts to drive it.)
Drill a hole to reach solid wood, coat the threads of the anchor spreader with a release material, inset the bolt into the anchor, also coated with release into the hole. I then partially expanded the anchor by dropping a pipe down the hole with the bolt through the center. The idea is to use the pipe to keep the anchor bottomed out while tightening the bolt to cause the anchor to expand. When it is locked, pull out the bolt and the pipe. I then taped a couple of layers of masking tape onto the bolt, coated that with release, inserted and threaded the bolt into the anchor, then packed the though hole around the release coated bolt and let it dry. when I was happy with the hardness I installed my safe (and you your base) crank the expander as far as you dare and you are done.
Let us know what you finally do. Good Luck.

I like that idea alot....I will run it by him. As to how far up the leg to get into solid wood....I think the good leg would be about a foot in the center...but the other leg might be more:(