PDA

View Full Version : Planing drawers down to size

Gary Herrmann
09-03-2006, 6:09 PM
I'm making a shop stand with some drawers. I made them a little over size and was then going to adjust them a bit to fit.

I was kind of curious, so I did one with a sander and the other two with my jack and smoother plane. I didn't really time it, but it seemed to go faster with the hand planes. Maybe it just because it was much more enjoyable, but I really do think it was faster.

My son came down and saw the curlys and I guided him through a few passes as well. Can't really see him wanting to do that with a ROS.

Then I used the shavings as kindling for the firepit last night. Definitely a win all the way around.

Hans Braul
09-06-2006, 5:19 PM
I'm with you 100% on the planing method. Even if it takes longer (which it doesn't if the drawers are reasonably well made and your planes are sharp). I figure if I can't hear the stereo, something's wrong!

Hans

Brett Baldwin
09-06-2006, 5:38 PM
I can't imagine a ROS could keep up with a plane on wood removal except MAYBE if you had 36 grit paper on it. Plus I would think that the surface left by a plane would be much slicker as a drawer runner if that is the way you've made them.

Don Boys
09-06-2006, 6:31 PM
If you want to go to the limit check out the Drawer Making video by Rob Cosman and available from Lie-Nielson.com. He shows how to make a piston fit drawer. The video is extremely well done.

Don Boys

Jerry Olexa
09-06-2006, 11:43 PM
For me, planing the drawers to fit is both faster and more enjoyable..:D