PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Being Invaded?

Carl Eyman
09-03-2006, 4:52 PM
Last Wednesday as I sat out in the yard at my son & dil's house in New Orleans a C47 with the white stripes used for Identification on the D-day invasion flew over. Well, it had been almost exactly a year sine NO made news with the hurricane; so I figured maybe somebody thought we needed more excitement.

The answer was in the paper next day. A benefactor had bought the plane for the WW II Museum (formerly D-Day Museum) and it was on display at the airport on Saturday. My son was nice enough to drive me over there and it was worth the trip. The plane not only participated in the Normandy invasion, but also in the Sicily invasion in 1943. It had seen commercial service in a Scandnavian country after WW II, but was now back at its military finest.

They had a number of artifacts around to illustrate the kind of gear the paratroopers had to carry with them. The curator let me try on a steel helmet. It felt exactly like it did 61 years ago. She also let me heft an M1 rifle, but I wasn't allowed to shoulder it. While Uncle Sam never bought me a ticket on a C47(thank goodness), I've flown on hem in commercial service a lot - especially when we lived in Puerto Rico. It was a real highlight to my first public activity since getting out of the hospital.

For those interested: it has been just over three weeks now since I had my hip replaced. I can walk just fine with a walker. The surgery caused almost no pain. In fact, my first sensation after waking from the anesthetic was that the pain was gone from my hip. I've been recuperating here at the home of my son and family. He has a pool so I've been able to exercise by swimming. I guess I've got another 3 weeks before I'm allowed to drive; so that's how long it'll be before I can go back to Thibodaux and try out the new Hip in the shop.

My computer time will probably be limited by the demand of others at this location, but I'm taking advantage of the Labor Day holiday to write this. Good to be back!

Robert Mickley
09-03-2006, 5:35 PM
Thats great news Carl!!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2006, 5:36 PM
Carl.........it's good to hear that your hip surgery has gone well! Take the doctor's advice....do the therapy....and get back into the shop!

Jim King
09-03-2006, 6:25 PM
After walking up into that old bird and the memerories it brought back the hip will heal like a scratched ankle. I can only imagine the emotions it must have brought with the experience. Congratulations.

Boyd Gathwright
09-03-2006, 10:45 PM
... It's good to hear from you Carl. Glad the operation went well. Take your time at therapy, don't push it, your body needs the time to heal and adjust. Enjoy your swimming.

:)

Last Wednesday as I sat out in the yard at my son & dil's house in New Orleans a C47 with the white stripes used for Identification on the D-day invasion flew over. Well, it had been almost exactly a year sine NO made news with the hurricane; so I figured maybe somebody thought we needed more excitement.

The answer was in the paper next day. A benefactor had bought the plane for the WW II Museum (formerly D-Day Museum) and it was on display at the airport on Saturday. My son was nice enough to drive me over there and it was worth the trip. The plane not only participated in the Normandy invasion, but also in the Sicily invasion in 1943. It had seen commercial service in a Scandnavian country after WW II, but was now back at its military finest.

They had a number of artifacts around to illustrate the kind of gear the paratroopers had to carry with them. The curator let me try on a steel helmet. It felt exactly like it did 61 years ago. She also let me heft an M1 rifle, but I wasn't allowed to shoulder it. While Uncle Sam never bought me a ticket on a C47(thank goodness), I've flown on hem in commercial service a lot - especially when we lived in Puerto Rico. It was a real highlight to my first public activity since getting out of the hospital.

For those interested: it has been just over three weeks now since I had my hip replaced. I can walk just fine with a walker. The surgery caused almost no pain. In fact, my first sensation after waking from the anesthetic was that the pain was gone from my hip. I've been recuperating here at the home of my son and family. He has a pool so I've been able to exercise by swimming. I guess I've got another 3 weeks before I'm allowed to drive; so that's how long it'll be before I can go back to Thibodaux and try out the new Hip in the shop.

My computer time will probably be limited by the demand of others at this location, but I'm taking advantage of the Labor Day holiday to write this. Good to be back!

Jim Becker
09-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Well...NO is being invaded in early October by my company for our FY 2007 kickoff!! Only about 3000 folks, however....

That's great that your hip is on the mend. One thing I constantly hear from folks who have replacement surgery (knees, hips, etc.) is that despite the discomfort from recovery, the lack of the previous pain in the joint is pure joy. 'Hope yours performs well in the shop!

Martin Shupe
09-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Carl,

Glad to hear your surgery went well, and you are up and around again. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Dave Anderson NH
09-04-2006, 7:56 AM
Great news on the recovery Carl. Just don't push it too far too fast.

I can remember my only ride in an R4D ( Navy- Marine Corps for a C-47) like it was yesterday. It was the first leg of my journey home in 1969. I was the only passenger on the return of the plane from Chu Lai to Da Nang. There was a big open hole where the side cargo door was supposed to be and we flew fairly low just off the coast. Amazing how pretty a country Vietnam is from the air and when someone isn't shooting at you.

Ian Barley
09-04-2006, 9:17 AM
I drive past a C47 frequntly, parked up at the front of the Airborne Forces museum in Aldershot - it is bedecked with invasion markings. It makes me pause for thought nearly every time. Carl - I am glad that you are recovering and hope it goes well.

Lou Morrissette
09-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Great to hear your surgery was a success, Carl. Take it slow, do the therapy and you'll be making chips in no time. Take care.

Lou

Carl Eyman
09-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Thank you all for your good wishes. And, Ian, while I never had a ride in one while in Europe, I saw them on a daily basis while stationed in Cirencester (hope I didn't mess up spelling too badly) as there was an air strip there next to a general hospital and the traffic back from the Battle of the Bulge was disturbingly steady. Later I saw plenty of them as they supplied troops in the final days of WWII.

Joe Mioux
09-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Carl:

Glad to hear that you are on the mend.

joe

Mark Rios
09-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks on your update Carl and I do send you best wishes and speedy recovery times.

john whittaker
09-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi Carl,
I was wondering how your surgery went. Glad to hear you are doing well.

My pop jumped out of some C47's. He was in the 101st and jumped behind Normandy. He was also in Bastogne at the Bulge. His battalion fought in Sicily but they didn't jump there. They made a beach landing in the South and fought there way up around the Island under Patton. Patton was the General who eventually came to relieve the 101 in Bastogne. Sure am proud of my dad and thankful for all he and all those folks did for our country...and the world.