PDA

View Full Version : Choke cherry...any good?

Tim Beauregard
09-03-2006, 4:17 PM
Greetings,

I have an acquaintance in southeastern Pennsylvania who says he needs to cut down a chokecherry. He says it is 2.5 feet in diameter at the base. Too far away for me. I told him to put it out front with a cardboard sign saying "free choke cherry, to all you woodturners" to see what happens.

Anyone made anything from it? Like it? Want it? I can put you in touch.

Regards,
Tim B.

Barry Stratton
09-03-2006, 5:08 PM
Hi Tim,

I posted a similar question on choke cherry in a "Wood Gloat" thread a few days ago (no responses yet but the creek went down shortly after posting). I've rough turned 6 bowls so far out of choke cherry and have them in DNA or wrapped and drying. The wood is soft-ish, very open pored, and turns like a dream. The colors in the wood are pretty nice as well.

Barry Stratton
09-03-2006, 5:19 PM
Hi Tim,

I posted a similar question on choke cherry in a "Wood Gloat" thread a few days ago (no responses yet but the creek went down shortly after posting). I've rough turned 6 bowls so far out of choke cherry and have them in DNA or wrapped and drying. The wood is soft-ish, very open pored, and turns like a dream. The colors in the wood are pretty nice as well.

Jim Becker
09-03-2006, 6:59 PM
Choke cherry will turn just fine.

Rather than have him "put it out by the road with a sign", he may want to contact the local AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) chapters to get a direct line to turners. There are three in SE PA...

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2006, 7:16 PM
Hey Barry and Tim. If it is wood it will turn. :D :D I know, I know, I just couldn't resist.

Actually turns pretty well. I turned a couple of small bowls for my sister in North Carolina.

John Shuk
09-03-2006, 8:58 PM
Very good. That is what you see most of the time posted as cherry.