PDA

View Full Version : Birch finishing advice............Please

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2006, 4:14 PM
I'm in the process of finishing a birch NE.......I need some advice on what to use on it for a finish. It appears to have lines in it that I suspect is either related to minerals or spalting. Due to my limited experience, I 'm not sure. What should I use..........Danish oil........wipe on poly........dewaxed shellac...........blo............??????????????

I've never finished birch and have no idea what to use on it.

Thanks!

Andy Hoyt
09-03-2006, 5:34 PM
Hey Ken - since you've got such a lot of that birch, why don't ya just experiment on a few pieces with different finishing approaches and then go with the process with the most favorable results for the balance of the inventory.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2006, 5:40 PM
Andy...........I just finished sanding it. I think I'll go against some advice given to me........try a little BLO and shellac on this one. Tomorrow...I'm going to HD with a gift card.....get some Deft and other stuff.....The next one I'll try something different! Thanks I agree with your suggestion!

How's the wall repair coming along?

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2006, 7:27 PM
Hey Ken you might want to pick up some Minwax Tung Oil finish. I got some the last month when at HD and I really like it. I use it by itself or after a couple of coats put some Gel Poly on top.

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2006, 5:49 PM
How's the wall repair coming along? All the demo is done and I'm waiting for a new window which should be here a about two weeks. Pics are you know where.