PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Snyder - GREAT GUY (wood gloat)

Barry Stratton
09-01-2006, 1:48 AM
Creeker Jonathan Snyder sent me a PM asking if I wanted a spalted chokecherry tree the utility company cut down and stacked in his backyard. Remembering the turner mantra - "if it burns it turns", I said sure. My youngest and I went over tonight and came home with this....

...and I started wishing I had more than a mini lathe.......

Got home, unloaded and roughed turned this one just to see what it looked like. While a "soft" wood, it appears to be nicely colored. Tomorrow morning me and the youngest have some end grain sealing to do!!! Anyone else ever work this ornamental wood?????

Jonathan graciously showed us his small garage shop and wood as well as a "new to him" Stanley hand plane and really old dovetail saw. What a great guy! I think I need to make him a bowl or two..........

THANK YOU JONATHAN! You are a true Creeker!

jonathan snyder
09-04-2006, 2:17 AM
Aw Heck! I was just looking to sucker someone into hauling that pile away for me!! Barry brought his wheel barrow and his adorable little daughter to operate it!!

Hope it turns nicely for you. Looking forward to seeing a finished bowl!

Jonathan

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey buddy nice gloat. Yep you better get some end grain sealed quick. Looks like a bunch of bowls and lidded boxes waiting to happen.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Nice haul Barry! Seal it quick.

Scott Donley
09-04-2006, 12:11 PM
That does it, I'm moving to Alaska ;) Nice haul :D

Jim King
09-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Why dont you rough turn and boil a couple to see how it compares with the other processes you are about to try. You will know the results in a month. The results may be interesting or a flop. I have never boiled any soft wood except spalted. Looks to nice to stack it up and let it crack to peices.

Corey Hallagan
09-04-2006, 1:06 PM
Great gloat! Great looking stuff and that bowl has some nice color!

corey

jonathan snyder
09-05-2006, 1:23 AM
Ok, I am curious, what does boiling do? I know almost nothing about turning

Jonathan

Gary DeWitt
09-05-2006, 2:13 AM
Here ya go, Johnathan.
http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips/misc-pages/boiling.pdf#search=%22boiling%20rough%20bowls%22
Plenty of info on boiling and how it works.