PDA

View Full Version : One Last Question about Planer

Rob Calkins
09-01-2006, 1:46 AM
Thanks for all of the help with the jointer / planer question. I think I might get a planer first and use the table saw for a jointer unless I find one at the right price. I have been looking at a few lunch box planers and would like to know if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the following:

Makita 2012NB 12" Portable Planer Kit $375 from Amazon with free shipping
JET - JWP-12DX 708521 12.5" PORTABLE PLANER $358 with free shipping

Or if the budget falls through

Grizzly G0505 12-1/2" Planer $225 with $44 for shipping

I looked at the dewalt, but have read that the blades do not last that long.

Thanks for you patience with a newbie.

Rob

tod evans
09-01-2006, 5:47 AM
rob, of the three you list the makita has the best reputation here in the sticks.....02 tod

George Heatherly
09-03-2006, 5:52 PM
I've had the old style Makita 2012 for about 15 years. It has been a very good machine. I find the disposable knives easy to change.

The only thing I don't like about it is the dust collection hood. Its outlet is on the side of the planer with the switch and thickness adjustment. It gets in my way, YMMV.

Bruce Benjamin
09-03-2006, 6:17 PM
I looked at the dewalt, but have read that the blades do not last that long.
Rob

This hasn't been my experience with my DW735 blades. But I guess it depends on how you use/abuse the blades. There are other features that the DW has the make it come out on the top of every lunchbox planer review I've ever seen. I bought new but if I had to do it over again I'd buy one of the refurbished ones online for a pretty great discount.

Bruce

Gregg Feldstone
01-02-2007, 11:41 PM
I got a Recon for $364 from Tyler Tools with free shipping. It looks brand new and WAS packaged quite well. After reading the Amazon reviews about the poor packaging on the recons and damage caused by same I was a little worried. When I ordered I mentioned this, so maybe that helped, or maybe the bad ones get sent to Amazon, or maybe I was just lucky. It works great so far. Very smooth cuts, esp. on the slow feed rate!!