PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt DW733 12 1/2" Thickness Planer

Rick Levine
09-01-2006, 12:47 AM
I have several 6"x10"x10' pine beams that are rough cut that I need to plane. I will only plane the 6" sides and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this planer handling heavy beams like these. I contacted DeWalt and they say it should be no problem. I have additional roller supports for the input and output of the tool. What do you think?

Don Baer
09-01-2006, 12:53 AM
I have the DW 735 and only have planed 6/4 lumber with it but it has done a fine job. If you support the infeed and out feed side properly I don't think it would be a problem. It will do the job but if you don't support the pieceson the infeed and outfeed sides you'll have some snipe to deal with.

Mark Rios
09-01-2006, 1:34 AM
I have the DW 735 and only have planed 6/4 lumber with it but it has done a fine job. If you support the infeed and out feed side properly I don't think it would be a problem. It will do the job but if you don't support the pieceson the infeed and outfeed sides you'll have some snipe to deal with.

Don, you're are a much more accomplished woodworker than I am I'm sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that with ten foot material he's pretty likely to get some snipe. :D

Don Baer
09-01-2006, 1:39 AM
Don, you're are a much more accomplished woodworker than I am I'm sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that with ten foot material he's pretty likely to get some snipe. :D

Mark,
I don't care if he has a 13" or a 24" planer, if he doesn't provide good support on both the infeed and out feed hen will get snipe...:D :D

Mark Rios
09-01-2006, 1:56 AM
Mark,
I don't care if he has a 13" or a 24" planer, if he doesn't provide good support on both the infeed and out feed hen will get snipe...:D :D

Hey, I'm agreeing with you. :) :) :) I'm just saying that with that big of material and a little planer he'll get snipe even with good support. I would anyway. :D

Rick, you're gonna need at least 24' of room to run that size material. Is your driveway long enough?:D

Can I ask what you're gonna use these for?

Rick Levine
09-03-2006, 5:38 PM
I planed six 6"x10"x10' beams successfully. I had help from one of the contractor's framers and four roller stands. The stands were barely adequate and I really need to get heavier and more stable roller stands. I got some snipe but fortunately I was able to sand them out with my belt sander.

The beams are support for a porch and the style of the building is somewhat rustic anyway. Bottom line, the planer worked and was able to handle the beams without much trouble. Good tool!

I do need to replace the roller stands I have. Any suggestions?

Rick Levine
09-03-2006, 5:38 PM
I planed six 6"x10"x10' beams successfully. I had help from one of the contractor's framers and four roller stands. The stands were barely adequate and I really need to get heavier and more stable roller stands. I got some snipe but fortunately I was able to sand them out with my belt sander.

The beams are support for a porch and the style of the building is somewhat rustic anyway. Bottom line, the planer worked and was able to handle the beams without much trouble. Good tool!

I do need to replace the roller stands I have. Any suggestions?

lou sansone
09-03-2006, 5:45 PM
rick
many folks involved in the timber framing business use hand held planers. If you are planning on doing a lot of this work, you might want to check out makita's 6" hand held planer.
lou

Rick Levine
09-03-2006, 6:17 PM
Lou,

Thanks for the suggestion but I already have a Porter-Cable model 367 planer. As for doing this again, I don't think so! I'm in the process of building a new shop, that is the contractor is doing most of the building, I'm just doing a small part of it. I'm saving my efforts and time for the finishing touches, like cabinets and work benches.