PDA

View Full Version : Delta Rockwell 37-300 8" Joiner

Don Baer
08-31-2006, 6:18 PM
I just found a used 8" Delta 37-300 at an equiptment dealer. It was buried in amonst a bunch of other machine so I could get close enough to it to realy chech it out but It did appear to be in good shape with no rust that I could see. Here a picture of it's brother that I got from OWWM site.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/Images/3196-B.JPG

The one at the dealer is painted dreen with the fence pinted yellow. It also didn't have a mobile base. He wants $375.00 as is. I can get him to pull it outt so I can inspect the machine further but I doubt if I'll be able to run it since I imagine it,s 220V. I figure worst case senario the blades may be chipped, and the bearing my be bad and the motor may be bad and the onn off switch may be bad so if it is a worst case then I'll need another $300-$350 to put it in #1 condition. Or I may get lucky and it may only need to have the baldes sharpened of the motor mighht need rebuilt or it might need a new belt or it may need bearing.

My question is this machine worth $700-$750 in top shape?

I can get a new Grizz with a spiral cutting head delivered for less then $1200.... arg

And to top it all off I am working out of a temp shop for the next 5 or so months so I realy don't have a good deal of room.

Rick Whitehead
08-31-2006, 8:47 PM
No, I don't think it's worth $700.00 restored. I've seen several similar old Rockwell 8" jointers that seemed to be in fairly good condition go for $400-500.
If it's in good shape and running it would be worth it at the asking price.If it's missing parts, note which ones they are and check with Delta to see if they're still available before you buy.Some of the parts I needed for my old Rockwell weren't available from Delta.
I'm in the process of restoring a Rockwell 37-315 that I bought at auction for $280.00 It needed cutterhead gibs, bearings,the fence locking handle, the fence tilt scale, and a new motor (the original motor was a 3-phase). So far, I've found everything but the fence scale.I figure I'll have about $450.00 in it before I'm through, and that's with using used parts and a used motor.
Hope this helps.
Rick

Don Baer
08-31-2006, 9:43 PM
Thanks Rick,
Thats what I was kinda figuring. I may go back and take a better look at it at a later date. Perhaps if it's still there in a few months when it looks like my new shop with attached house is close to being finished.