PDA

View Full Version : Help with T.V. table

Mike Hill
08-31-2006, 4:39 PM
In an earlier post I was asking about type of wood and finish color for a TV stand I am building for my oldest daughter for Xmas. Now I need some additional advice. The TV is a rear projection monster, but sits about 10" to low for good viewing. So I constructed a table top using 3/4" plywood topped with Poplar planed down to about 5/8". The picture below is of the top. It is stained, but no protective finish at this time. Here are my questions of the group:

1. I think the color is right, but what to protect it? No gloss, just something natural looking which will wear well.

2. I now have to construct legs. Problem is, they can only be 10 or 11" high since the top is 1 1/4" thick. I thought about a skirt and tapered 2" legs, but it's gonna be ugly. 2nd link is picture of their existing coffee table, note the legs. I do not have a lathe. Any suggestions?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45386&thumb=1&d=1156252005 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45386&d=1156252005)

Andy Hoyt
08-31-2006, 4:55 PM
Mike - Curtis Seebeck lives about an hour south of you and he turns. Shoot him a PM, I bet he'd be willing and able to help.

Tom Jones III
08-31-2006, 5:07 PM
Wipe-on poly? Easy with a little protection, not a lot of protection but you shouldn't need much.

Martin Shupe
08-31-2006, 5:14 PM
Mike,

I like Waterlox Original, which has a medium sheen. However it may be too glossy for you. It is a wiping varnish, which can be applied with a good foam brush or blue shop towels. It gives a slight amber color, so use a test piece. 3-4 wiped on coats should provide enough protection. If it is too glossy, they make a satin version that can be used as the last coat, or, wait a month or so, then rub out the medium sheen with Behlens Wool Lube. It needs to cure well, before this last step, so be patient.

Do a search on Waterlox, and you should turn up lots of info.

Available at Woodcraft, or other fine woodworking supply stores.

Bob Childress
08-31-2006, 5:58 PM
For something that large, you might want to consider a 10" or so "skirt" all the way aorund. Same fit and finish as the top or contrasting. Then the stand will look like a pedestal (which essentially it is) and you will get better support for the weight and nothing to turn.

Just my .02 :)

Curtis O. Seebeck
08-31-2006, 8:20 PM
Thanks alot, Andy, for volunteering me! You are so kind!:)

Of course I would be happy to help, Mike. I will shoot you an e-mail in a few!