PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Japanese Chisels

Lance Sleeper
08-31-2006, 1:48 PM
I have been lurking for awhile and I am hoping that I can get an answer to a question. I have just purchased several vintage Japanese chisels and wanted to know if there were different techniques for sharpening them as opposed to standard American or English chisels. The chisels themselves are for mortising, so I am guessing a 35 degree angle?

All help is appreciated.

Bob Smalser
08-31-2006, 3:01 PM
They sharpen the same as others, on either oil, water or Carborundum stones. Usually easier, in fact, as the backs are hollow ground. Keep the bevel angle the same, as the hardened lamination at the edge can easily chip with a too-shallow bevel.

Dave Burnard
08-31-2006, 3:09 PM
30 to 35 degrees is a good place to start - I'd just leave whatever bevel is already there, resharpen and see if you need to increase it as you work. It depends a lot on the woods you work and your work habits.

The japanese rarely use grinders to hollow grind the bevel and they don't use a microbevel either. But you can if it works for you. If you decide you want to grind, you have to be a little more careful since the tempering temperature they use is fairly low. Other than that your favorite sharpening system should work just fine.

If the hollow on the back of the chisel has reached the cutting edge you'll have to deal with that, either by further flattening of the back and/or by tapping out the bevel side to help re-establish the flat. It's usually easier to just reflatten the back, applying most of the pressure near the cutting edge - same as you'd do for any chisel.

Enjoy!