PDA

View Full Version : Riving knife for my unisaw?

Mark Rios
08-31-2006, 12:29 PM
I've been reading a few posts that mention riving knives and got me to thinking about putting one on my new saw.

On one of my current projects using mahogany I had the wood moving all over the place and binding up behind the blade. I've never had a kickback issue on my 1 hp contractor saw but with the 3 hp in the uni I'm a little more concerned.

Can anyone recommend one for my saw?

And does Woodcraft possibly sell your recommended brand? I'd like to get it on sale from them this weekend if possible?

Thanks very much for your help and advice.

Mike Spanbauer
08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
You can install an aftermarket splitter Mark, but you can't adapt a true riving knife to your saw.

A true riving knife raises and lowers with the blade which avoids the need to remove the knife when not cutting completely through the piece.

I recommend the Biesemeyer snap in splitter myself and have one on my 66.

mike

Blaine Harrison
08-31-2006, 1:25 PM
You can install an aftermarket splitter Mark, but you can't adapt a true riving knife to your saw.

A true riving knife raises and lowers with the blade which avoids the need to remove the knife when not cutting completely through the piece.

I recommend the Biesemeyer snap in splitter myself and have one on my 66.

mike

I'd love to have a riving knife. Too bad there doesn't seem to be one for the Unisaw.

I have the Biesemeyer snap-in splitter, too and really like it for my Uni. However, I think that there is a cheaper alternative in the Delta removeable splitter. The Bies is over $100, IIRC, and the Delta is less than $50 assuming my memory is still working.

Blaine

Frank Pellow
08-31-2006, 1:40 PM
Sorry Mark, but it can't be done. That is because a riving knife raises and lowers in conjuction with the blade and must be an intreghal part of the saw. I have a riving knife on my circular saw (Festool) but not on my table saw (General) and I really really like it.

It appears that some North American companies are finally getting the message (e.g Powermatic) and, in the future, riving knives will become more common on our table saws.

The best that I could do for my General 650 table saw Saw was to install and Micro Jig splitter. See: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,41080,51225,51151&p=51151

Blaine Harrison
08-31-2006, 1:48 PM
Frank,

I have had the microjig splitter on my old saw. There were good points and bad points to it. I liked that it was easily removable, but the problem was when I got some serious reaction wood, the closing of the kerf pinched the splitter enough that it pulled it out of the zero clearance insert. That piece of wood got cut on the bandsaw. I continued to use the microjig after that, but was very careful to watch to be sure that the splitter stayed in place during a rip.

Blaine

Frank Pellow
08-31-2006, 1:59 PM
Frank,

I have had the microjig splitter on my old saw. There were good points and bad points to it. I liked that it was easily removable, but the problem was when I got some serious reaction wood, the closing of the kerf pinched the splitter enough that it pulled it out of the zero clearance insert. That piece of wood got cut on the bandsaw. I continued to use the microjig after that, but was very careful to watch to be sure that the splitter stayed in place during a rip.

Blaine
Blaine, that's been my experience as well. The plastic insert pulls out from time to time and I have also broken the narrow spindles off three of them. But, in spite of these problems, I continue to use the microjig splitter because it is the best device, other than a riving knife, that I have found.

lou sansone
08-31-2006, 2:03 PM
A couple of my table saws have had riving knives and they are great. I am probably stating the obvious, but besides raising and lowering with the blade, they also tilt with the blade.

BTW american saw mfg have been building saws with riving knives for years on their industrial line of saws, like the oliver 260d and the Delta RT-40

lou

Sam Chambers
08-31-2006, 3:04 PM
Mark, as others have mentioned already, you can't get a "true" riving knife for your Unisaw. I wish it were possible to add one. I use the MicroJig splitter for 90-degree cuts, and the Delta removeable splitter (the one that comes with the Uniguard) for beveled cuts.

You can get the MicroJig splitter from a number of sources, including Woodcraft (http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5067). A good source for the Delta is Redmond Machinery (http://redmond-machinery.com/). It doesn't show up on their web site, but call them. I think I paid $25 for mine, brand new. It's easy to remove when you don't need it.

Blaine Harrison
08-31-2006, 3:26 PM
Blaine, that's been my experience as well. The plastic insert pulls out from time to time and I have also broken the narrow spindles off three of them. But, in spite of these problems, I continue to use the microjig splitter because it is the best device, other than a riving knife, that I have found.

Yep. That's why I kept using it too. I also liked that I could use my Grr-ripper with it. I can't use it so much with the Bies splitter in place.

Blaine

Russ Massery
08-31-2006, 4:14 PM
I had a Micro-jig on mine also. Found myself frustrated by it coming out most of the time. I bought the beisemeyer snap-in spreader. It's little pricey but the safety factor makes it well worth it. The is a Delta version that can be had for a lot less. But the think you have to order it through Delta. I know there other people on this forum who have bought it. And are very happy with it. I feel that the micro jig is a "Better than nothing solution" IMHO.

Jeff Horton
08-31-2006, 4:27 PM
If you just want/need a splitter. Save the money and build your own. Very simple project.

Harley Lewis
08-31-2006, 4:53 PM
Mark, you can get two less expensive splitters for a unisaw. One is made by Delta, part number 1349941. It is about $35. The other is made by Shark Guard, http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php (http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php), and it is about $23. The advantage of the Shark Guard is it has options for narrow kerf blades. Both tilt with the blade but do not go up and down like a riving knife. Both are easy to use.

Greg Koch
08-31-2006, 5:16 PM
Mark,

If you start getting serious about the Biesemeyer...you can get the entire Uniguard, with the easily installed/removed Delta splitter, for only $110 +/-more. The Biese splitter, lists for about $130 and the Uniguard for $276...but you can get the 10% off plus $25 off the Uniguard. I paid $226 for mine last week, with free shipping! Blade guard + Splitter.

Just a thought.

Greg Sznajdruk
08-31-2006, 5:48 PM
Greg:

How does the Uniguard attach to the Unisaw?

Will it attach if you have a 52 inch extension table?

Greg

JayStPeter
08-31-2006, 5:55 PM
Mark, you can get two less expensive splitters for a unisaw. One is made by Delta, part number 1349941. It is about $35. ....

The Delta is the one I have. For the price, I don't think it can be beat. IMO, it's more robust than homemade or microjig (assuming full-kerf blades). Also goes on/off in a few seconds. BTW, you buy it by calling Delta and ordering the part number as it is a part from the Uniguard.

Grizzly has a new 12" cabinet saw that is coming with a riving knife. They are also claiming they will be moving that design down their product line.

Jay

Greg Koch
08-31-2006, 6:05 PM
Greg,

Yes, it will fit on a 52" Unisaw.

Some mounting pics: http://www.sawcenter.com/delta_uniguard.htm

I had to cut slots in the back rail of my 40" Biesemeyer fence system, but others have replaced the rail with a flat strip of 2" x 1/4" steel, I believe.

Jim Becker
08-31-2006, 9:07 PM
How does the Uniguard attach to the Unisaw?

It bolts to the rear rail.

Will it attach if you have a 52 inch extension table?

Yes